Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

440 - 10.3 WiFi Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfatt2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440 - 10.3 WiFi Problems
    Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 10:59am
I'll try to keep this short.  I'm on my 4th (yep) 440since about June.  I have nothing but problems keeping the wifi connected.  I am now upgraded to the 10.3 version and never had this problem until 10.3.

I have a Stratus 3 with Ipad and Foreflight.

I connect the stratus directly to the IFD and the Ipad to the Stratus (per the 10.3 instructions).  I cannot transfer flight plans (usually).  I constantly get the message "IFD Became Unresponsive" or Unexpected Communication Error with IFD.  Additionally, eventually the IFD drops the wifi connection to the Ipad.  This makes my system utterly unusable.

I can connect the Ipad directly to the IFD and have no problems transferring flight plans in both directions but the connection still drops.  This happens even when there are absolutely no other devices around for the IFD to connect to.  Sometimes it takes 3 minutes to disconnect and sometimes it takes 10, but it happens with great frequency. 

I have upgraded the WiFi cards sent to me by Avidyne, but to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Solutions?

ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 10:26pm
can you share more info about how you have this setup.

you have the exact same setup i'm running..

Stratus 3i
IFD440
Ipad Mini With FF

I also have 2 other devices in the cockpit

Ipad Mini with IFD100
Iphone 12 with FF

And my setup works very well.

But it isn't stable in all conditions.

For example. --
 - i make sure there are no other wifi networks in the cockpit (no hotspots, etc)
 - I could not get the network to be stable if i used a password on the wifi network (on stratus) so my network has no password.

Are you running other networks in the airplane, and have you tried running the network with and without a password?

and i think you meant to describe a network where the wifi is hosted by the Stratus 3 .. and both the IFD and the Ipad are clients right?
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2022 at 10:29pm
One more thing i would say about getting a stable network, is that if i had to debug this on my airplane i would do it 1 piecce at a time.

Is it possible to do a few flights where all you have on is the IFD and the Stratus 3 -- and the strauts is the HOST and the IFD is the client.

If that worked well then i would try another flight with the Stratus 3 and FF only -- no IFD in the network.

see if that works well .. you might bee able to isolate the problem.

Finally there are apps you can put on your ipad to debug the problem if you are seeing a drop out of the connection .. i would want to know if the ipad lost connection to the wifi vs connection to the IFD , etc.

Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2022 at 12:55pm
I have the same problem but without stratus.

Foreflight to IFD440 unable to transfer route via WIFI like before 10.3
Same random WIFI disconnect message

Agipilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agipilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2022 at 7:18pm
Same problem. Ifd 540 and ForeFlight. The send to panel or other way does not work anymore after the update. 
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 11:53am
What version of iPadOS were you running before the upgrade and what version are you running now?  16.0 introduced WiFi issues that seemed to be fixed in the recently released 16.2.

I have not upgraded my IFDs but started having WiFi issue sues that I traced back to iPadOS. Upgrading to 16.2 seems to have stabilized it. 
------------
dave
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 3:58pm
everytime i've had a problem sending/receiving a FP from FF to IFD its usually because there is some problem with the wifi network itself.  

have you guys been able to determine if your devices are connected to the network properly?
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2022 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by ricardo ricardo wrote:

everytime i've had a problem sending/receiving a FP from FF to IFD its usually because there is some problem with the wifi network itself.  

have you guys been able to determine if your devices are connected to the network properly?
In my case, yes.  I had zero troubles with the IFD Wifi running 10.2.x connecting with an iPad running FF for 3 years.  I started having intermittent issues in the September time frame this is also corresponded loosely with the release of iPadOS 16.0.  I didn't have any issues with my iPad connecting and maintaining the connection on other networks so assumed the issue was with the IFDs.

Typically the iPad and FF would connect to the network just fine but would drop it sometime later.  Couldn't even see the network with iPadOS.  The network would randomly reconnect on longer flights.

Finally paid attention to Apple's release notes on WiFi issues with 16.0 and 16.1.  Not a lot of details but one of the issues was intermittent drops on 2.4 MHz WiFi networks.  Fixed in 16.2.  Flown 2 flights on 16.2 and issue seems to be resolved.

YMMV.
------------
dave
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:04pm

Edited by Decibel - 03 Jan 2023 at 12:06pm
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by daveS daveS wrote:

What version of iPadOS were you running before the upgrade and what version are you running now?  16.0 introduced WiFi issues that seemed to be fixed in the recently released 16.2.

I have not upgraded my IFDs but started having WiFi issue sues that I traced back to iPadOS. Upgrading to 16.2 seems to have stabilized it. 

16.2 and still problem transferring from Foreflight to the IFD. Although I am connected 
daveS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 8:02pm
Well, at least your WiFi seems more stable.  Out of curiosity, go to the Device Status popup in ForeFlight (select the Settings icon at the top then near the bottom your should see the connect IFD).  Select the IFD.  Does it list "flight plan send/receive" under the capabilities?
------------
dave
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 10:35am
Sorry Dave I just saw this reply, I flew this week and I coulnt transfer the flight plan from Foreflight to the IFD as before the last update. None of the aircraft partner can. As for your question I'll check that next time and get back to you. 

I need now to figure out why I don't have an email notification on reply event the "Email Notify me of Replies " box is tick :/  
skybum02 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybum02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 11:50pm
Probably also want to ensure that VPN or similar services are off. That has created WiFi problems for me in the past. 
Decibel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Decibel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:15am
Originally posted by daveS daveS wrote:

Well, at least your WiFi seems more stable.  Out of curiosity, go to the Device Status popup in ForeFlight (select the Settings icon at the top then near the bottom your should see the connect IFD).  Select the IFD.  Does it list "flight plan send/receive" under the capabilities?

Yes it does
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 9:25pm
I have not upgraded to 10.3 yet but just started to have issues transferring flight plans from ForeFlight to the IFD.  No problem sending from the IFD to ForeFlight.  I am guessing it is a ForeFlight or IO issue. Strange that it works in one direction.  Hope this helps Avidyne narrow it down.
Also, I am using a Stratus 2S.

Edited by P35Pilot - 03 Jun 2023 at 10:08pm
P35Pilot View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P35Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 1:39am
Everything worked perfectly today.  I did notice a ForeFlight update the day before.

Hope this helps

Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2023 at 5:30pm
It is not 10.3 issue, happening intermittently (more failures than success) with 10.2.6.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic