Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feature Request: What about a FIX page?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feature Request: What about a FIX page?
    Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 11:41am
This is a "big boy" feature that allows you to draw on screen radials and circumferences from a waypoint. They are persistent, and not specifically related to your flight plan. (there were several on the MFD page, in my post asking about the BB)

Superb for spatial orientation, especially in busy airspace, or on final approach. At a glance you know you should be close to the OM, or when to drop your speed, or gear or whatever.

Also excellent when performing complicated SIDs by hand. You can draw in a DME x.x nm circle where you might need to start a turn as you ascend, and then draw in a VOR radial (like an OBS display, but not linked to the flightplan) that you need to intercept.

I routinely draw in a 10nm and 20nm circle around my destination aiport, and then I think 6000 AGL at 20, and 3 at 10, makes sure you are on track. Just add 3000 ft AGL for an approach to an airport in the opposite direction from the active runway.

"Fix" circles have been drawn in at 10nm & 20nm, centered on KSEA (737 MFD)

Very simple user interface, you just specify a radial (optionally), a distance, and the reference waypoint.

Yes, no, maybe? Perhaps in the future?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Feb 2018 at 3:27pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 1:25pm
"Perhaps in the future".

In fact, I just cut and paste your description and image into our new feature candidate database that we review before each new release.

As far as making it into Release 1 goes, there is no chance of that.  We have locked down the scope of Rel 1 such that we are now just in execution and certification phase now.  We're holding a firm "no new features" for this first release as I'm sure you understand.

Thank you for the suggestion  - it's a neat one.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2012 at 1:57pm
Fully understand, and surely do not want release 1 delayed in any way at all!

And, you are most welcome. It is an extremely powerful feature, it would be a first in small plane avionics. Probably not that intensive to set up, I expect you have all the screen draw elements you need to create it already. Other than the user interface extension to define these, should be a snap.

I look forward to it, "perhaps" some time in the future -- and will keep my thinking cap on for other features.

BTW, it is truly nice for users to be able to dialog with the folks on the "in" at Avidyne, no doubt it will be beneficial to both in the end.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Dec 2012 at 2:05pm
Larryo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larryo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 9:05am
Orest and Jake,

I'll second this as an EXCELLENT feature... mention this several months ago for a feature. 

Jake, Please keep this on on the top burner for future features. It's VERY handy. I used is a lot when I did heavy iron stuff.

Larry Olson
Larryo
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 5:45pm
Perhaps we can bring this one back to the fore as well!

* Orest

BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 8:55pm
Sounds Good to me!!

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:28am
Thanks for bringing this one back to the front. I see some elements in the request that align with what we've been talking about internally recently. In any case, I will review this in the request list.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2017 at 9:59am
Very good!

* Orest

--
Request Campaigner

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jun 2017 at 10:00am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2021 at 5:26pm
For greater clarity, on the right is the "fix page" on a Boeing FMC showing how for example 10nm and 20nm rings are specified, and on the left the resultant circles drawn on the ND. Great for situational awareness, referencing airports, and other fixed locations. Also good for ETOPS and other fuel/distance planning techniques.

You can specify just radius (radial will be added according to flightplan), or both. The DTG and expected crossing altitudes are calculated form the flightplan.

Hmm, did I just bump the topic? ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Feb 2022 at 10:43pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 9:31pm
Worth a bump too.

* Orest
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2022 at 10:14pm
I agree this is a great addition. Used it for years. Also ppos hold would be good since it would take several minutes to build in wpt page    I have used it when I was working but retired it would be nice to have. Avidyne does a great job listening us old dudes with a Baron!. 

Khuffine
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:07am
I think about this one often.  It's a "nice to have", so it hasn't made the cut yet.  Don't give up hope.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:15pm
It would be so nice.

Well, hope is eternal. ;-)

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic