Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Trainer XP -- WIsh List --

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Trainer XP -- WIsh List --
    Posted: 11 Nov 2022 at 1:40am
I know that the avidyne software development department is busy working on the bug-fix release for 10.3, but if someone could fix these bugs in the IFD Trainer XP it would make the trainer ALOT more useful for well ... training ... 

1 - in GPS NAV mode, set the course for the HSI for each leg properly.  -- right now on most models i've flown the course for the leg does not get set on the HSI.

Examples: C172SP G1000, or with xaviations G5, or with airmanager's G5.  -- should be easy to reproduce.

2 - The IFD XP, sometimes looses control of the autopilot.  ---  Setup a GPS flight plan in the IFD XP, and fly it using the autopilot on the C172, it will fly the flight plan for some time, and then once in a while it will loose control of the AP, and turn left or right, after a few seconds, it regains control, and goes back to capture the GPS track.

3 - When the IFD XP Trainer is on GPS mode, you cannot ID a nav-aid. (like an ILS or VOR) -- The nav aid ID will either not come through, or it will be the nav-aid morse code identifier for a previously ID's nav aid (last time the IFD trainer was on VLOC mode).  --- if you put the IFD Trainer XP on VLOC mode , this works right.

ive verified that this works alright when you dont use the IFD Trainer XP -- so the IFD app is doing something to XPlane to mess this up. 

4 - Frequency tuning for some of the ATIS bug -- the IFD XP sometimes reduces the frequency by .10 -- like if you are trying to dial 122.25 -- the IFD XP will then reduce the frequency to 122.15 .. 

i think this bug was reported previously and someone from avidyne (Avisteve?) mentioned that the bug was easy to fix in the next release .. though the IFD XP app has not had a release since.

Thanks avidyne -- the IFD XP Trainer is a very useful tool, and it would be VERY useful if these bugs were fixed.

--- More info about what i'm flying: XPLANE 11 using the C172SP Steam gauges airplane with airmanager to add dual G5's and GFC500.  --- i also fly "justflights" PA28 Archer III .. (https://www.justflight.com/product/pa28-181-archer-iii-x-plane) with airmanager for G5's and GFC500.

Edited by ricardo - 11 Nov 2022 at 1:45am
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2022 at 8:40pm
Would it be possible for avidyne to publish some information about how the IFD XP is interfacing with xplane, which datarefs its writing to -- 

I think it would be possible to fix most of the bugs with a plugin, -- a little insight into how IFD XP works could help.  

specially since i've never written an xplane plugin, but would be wiling to try .
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 2:03am
*crickets*
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2022 at 11:35am
As you might imagine, xplane interface is not on the front burner for us right now.  Not being particularly familiar with that interface, I just quickly searched the code and came up with this.

xps.plane_number  = 0 (integer)
        xps.latitude      = latitude (double, degrees)
        xps.longitude     = longitude (double, degrees)
        xps.elevation     = altitude (double, feet) 
        xps.psi           = true heading (float, degrees)
        xps.theta         = pitch (float, degrees)
        xps.phi           = roll (float, degrees)
        xps.gear          = 0.0 (float)
        xps.flap          = 0.0 (float)
        xps.thrust_vector = 0.0 (float)

Looks to me like that is sent to xplane with a prefix of "VEH1" to UDP port 49000.

Edited by AviSteve - 28 Nov 2022 at 9:33am
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2022 at 4:29am
So i fixed problem 1 and 2 by writing a LUA plugin that runs in my AirManager .. (I just jammed this code into an existing instrument)

---------------------------------------------------------

last_course = 0.0

function new_ifd_data(state, course)
    if (state == 0) then
        return
    end

local abs_course = 0.0
    if (course < 0.0) then
      abs_course = 360 + course
    else
      abs_course = course
    end
    if (course == -360.0) then
        xpl_dataref_write("sim/cockpit/radios/gps_course_degtm", "FLOAT", last_course)
    else
        last_course = course
        xpl_dataref_write("sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/hsi_obs_deg_mag_pilot", "FLOAT", abs_course)   
    end
end

xpl_dataref_subscribe("sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/HSI_source_select_pilot", "INT",
                       "sim/cockpit/radios/gps_course_degtm", "FLOAT", new_ifd_data)

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure there is a better solution .. (like at least writing a separate instrument), and i'll likely do that in the future.

Basically this plugin watches

sim/cockpit/radios/gps_course_degtm

which the trainer sets as the GPS course. -- then copies the value over to

sim/cockpit2/radios/actuators/hsi_obs_deg_mag_pilot

This basically slews the HSI to the GPS course .. which fixes the G5 instrument not having its course set correctly.

Then i noticed that once in a while the value in gps_course_degtm would go to -360 for a few seconds, which caused the AP craziness.

so i had the same plugin wwatch for a sudden change to -360 and ignore the value by overriding gps_course_degtm to the last known course value...

yup there are problems like what if we really want to go to -360.0  .. well. thats a small problem compared to the crazy AP turns the current IFD trainer does.

I also had it only apply this fix if the IFD is set to GPS (and not VLOC).

Anyways.. hope this helps others..  helps me a ton.

Havent tested this fix on many modes (like APR etc) will see in the future if it works in all cases.. (probably breaks OBS mode in GPS guidance)

will update this thread if i find any missing parts.

Edited by ricardo - 28 Nov 2022 at 4:39am
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2023 at 5:19pm
I've been running into an issue when running the XP trainer where NAV2 VOR will only work when NAV1 / IFD are in VLOC.  When I change the NAV1 / IFD to GPS, then the NAV2 VOR stops responding.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2023 at 10:18pm
I have that same issue. With vloc on nav 2 only working when nav 1 is on vloc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic