Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USB Thumb drives for IFD550

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swyloge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB Thumb drives for IFD550
    Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 7:05pm
I want to purchase 2 new USB drives for my IFD550 and 440. What size of drives do I need? What format do they need to contain? FAT32?
Swyloge
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 8:36pm
you dont need very much storage -- the DB's take hardly any room .. 

format them FAT32

a 4GB stick will work fine ..  

I order a pair of these 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH53M4T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and they are working fine -- 16G is way overkill on the size, but i also use these USB sticks for other stuff.
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2023 at 11:56pm
I would recommend you to get 8GB instead. 
PA28-236 @N14
rpostmo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rpostmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 8:52am
These worked great for me right out of the box

https://www.newegg.com/kingston-model-dtig4-16gb/p/N82E16820239765
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 10:07am
I have a small thumb drive that I got from a vendor which I'm sure had some marketing materials on it when I got it. 

I erroneously believed the thumb drive was 2GB, I was wrong I just checked, it is 500MB.  The navdata file is 11MB, I have a few backup files which are a few KB each with a total usage of less than 12MB.  I've been using this thumbdrive for roughly 2yrs without any issue.  The only file I update is the nav database, I do not update the obstacle database, nor do I have charts on the IFD (I'm using a 440) so I do not know how big the obstacle database is, that might require a larger drive to install.

The point is just about any thumbdrive out there will work fine, but with the cost of the thumbdrives today it probably doesn't make any sense to buy anything less than 8GB.

Oh I just took a look at the software update for both 10.2.6.1 and 10.3.0.2, both were less than 150MB and could be installed using the 500MB thumbdrive without issue.
keithrkoenig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithrkoenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:50pm
If its too small it will cause issues. Ak me how I know. Older drive only 500mb, 440 blank screen and hung. I thought I ruined it. Turns out it does not like insufficient sized thumb drives.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2023 at 4:51pm
just don't run out of space
FlyingCOham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlyingCOham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:13pm
Disk Space - the Final Frontier...
Jim Patton
wpierce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wpierce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 2:45pm
I had a bunch of SanDisk Ultra USB3 16GB that I had laying around, reformated and have been successfully using the same one for over a year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic