Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ADBS Options

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by phkmn phkmn wrote:

I posted a note in the FAQs about needing an ADS-B receiver if I install the ATX340 transponder and am duplicating that here as a more appropriate place.  Avidyne apparently has no receiver, so I'm still without traffic even though I would be compliant with 1090 ES out.

What receiver can I use to display TIS, TIS-B, and FIS-B on the IFD540?  I'd like to do all this in one pass when I do the IFD540 install.  I want a dedicated receiver:  I have no interest in having to look at the Ipad in my lap for traffic.

+1
DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 1:13pm
Avidyne is currently accepting no-obligation reservations for ADS-B upgrades, allowing current TAS600, TAS605, TAS610, TAS615, and TAS620 owners to lock in a $2,000 upgrade price for 1090MHz ADS-B IN capability.

I have a TAS 600 and registered for this upgrade but have never received any details. Are their any available yet?
< id="mac_address" value="" ="">
DaveM
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 3:29pm
No details yet on the availability of the TAS-A variants (that's the unit you refer to for that $2K upgrade price).  We are working on them and that is still a product we're coming out with.

As for the bigger picture, we have said for some time that we support the "Capstone Protocol"  and absolutely intend to do that with the IFD540, it's just not implemented in the initial release.  The Capstone interface provides traffic and weather which is the serial interface protocol that ships traffic and weather data from a receiver to the display.  

Weather data is only coming in via 978 receivers and traffic can come over both.

So, Avidyne will be playing in the 978-in and 1090-in product arena and our displays will be capable of showing both that sourced traffic and weather.   We are just not willing to announce the specific box IDs and pricing for that support at this time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 3:47pm
Thank you for the update.  I guess I will stick with my non-ES GTX330 for now:  I believe that will at least display TIS on the 540.  Just saved a bunch of money!

edit:  I just received a note from Aspen regarding the ARX100 dual band receiver.  They will be supporting the Capstone protocol with that unit, so it should maybe some day display on the IFD540.

Later edit: Aspen has had development delays on this unit:  will not be available until late 2014.   That might actually match my 6 month delivery window for the 540

Edited by phkmn - 22 Jan 2014 at 2:32pm
PH
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

Will the IFD540 provide GPS output on industry standard protocols for ADS-B compliance (I think this means outputting via ARINC 743A)?  Specifically, will I be able to use the IFD540 as the GPS source on the Navworx ADS600-B?

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I don't know enough about the ADS600-B to comment on it effectively.

I'll double check on the ARINC743A compliance on the part of the IFD540.  Should post a response in early Jan on that topic.

Any update on this?  My understanding is that CAPSTONE is only a standard protocol from the receivers to the display.  It does not cover the protocol to use a GPS for the ADS-B out.  I've also been told that ARINC743A is simply the standard GPS output, which is supported by Wikipedia ("ARINC 743A defines a GNSS receiver") so there should be no mysterious proprietary protocols here.  This is where there have been issues with Garmin being proprietary.  Everybody is willing to use/display someone else's data if the protocols are shared - got it, it's giving data for others to use that is the real concern.

Edited by brou0040 - 20 Jan 2014 at 4:13pm
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2014 at 6:55pm
Thank the membership for waking up regarding this issue. I think I have my situation figured out at least for now. Steve you are not off the hook yet, looking for a digital autopilot solution for my A36 as well. Hoping the DFC 90/100 is a possibility down the road; see you over there... 
GDC25
bellanca1730a View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bellanca1730a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2014 at 8:41am
Steve's reply from the FAQs thread (I should have asked my question here in the first place):

It is imperative that Avidyne has a full array of product offerings that support all aspects of ADS-B functionality and we will.   We have a number of products in the internal pipeline, all of which will be out well before any mandate or rush to equip prior to mandates.

We have announced full support for the Capstone protocol - the comm protocol between receivers and displays that allow ADS-B supplied weather and traffic.   The initial release of the IFD540 does not have that display code in it yet but will on a subsequent release.  When it does, it should in principal take in data from any receiver that is outputting the data in that protocol.  The IFD540 has spare I/O that is designed to take that data in and send it out as needed.

We have announced our TAS-A traffic products and offer a $2K price guarantee/early buy in option.   When the TAS-A products are out, then the ADS-B compliant  traffic sensor piece will exist.

We are now certified and shipping the AXP340 ADS-B Mode S Transponder.  If that  transponder is getting ADS-B compliant GPS position from a device like the IFD540, then you have the transponder piece taken care of.

We have a number of other not-yet-announced products in the pipeline that will enhance those capabilities, including the ability to organically support 978 and 1090 data streams (i.e. our own receivers).

All of these products are, or will be, competitively priced.
Sean Andrews
Bellanca Super Viking
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 3:38pm

Hi Paul,

I think you and I are in a similar position.

I don't think we need TIS-A traffic (the original TIS traffic that some Garmin transponders have been providing).

I think we want TIS-B traffic (ADS-B) and FIS-B weather to display on our IFD 540's.

Seems like we will need a transmitter (UAT or 1090-ES Out) to trigger the reply (for ADS-B Traffic) and a receiver (UAT or 1090-ES?) to receive the broadcast and deliver it to the IFD 540.

I've got a beautiful KT 76A.

How do we make this work?

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 4:47pm
Avidyne's AXP340 will take care of the ADSB out.

Nobody has an ADSB In receiver that will display either TISB or FIS on the 540.  So it's either go portable or wait.

Edited by phkmn - 20 Feb 2014 at 10:02pm
PH
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 2:03pm
Jake

Does Avidyne have a remote mounted ADSB-out capable transponder that interfaces with the IFD540 and 440?

If not does anyone else make such a transponder?
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 2:57pm
Avidyne does have a currently available AXP340 with ES that will do ADSB out.  $3995

Looks like a nice unit and will get position data from the 540/440.  I think discussion is farther up this thread.

Edited by phkmn - 27 Feb 2014 at 3:00pm
PH
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 3:14pm

I'm looking for a remote mounted transponder to free up some panel space.  I’ve looked at the APX340.  Currently the transponder is mounded in the center stack and leaves me short on space for the 540.

phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:16pm
My apology:  missed the Remote part.
PH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 4:51pm
No, there is currently no product (remote mount, ADS-B Out transponder) that can work with the IFD540/440.

However, we certainly plan to create just such a device.  We have not announced a time frame yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 9:59pm
remote mount, ADS-B Out and In transponder would be better....
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:21am

What's about the Trig TT22?

KK

Klaus
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:43am
Nope, afraid not.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 11:08am
Is there any difference to the TT31, which should work as you said?
Klaus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic