Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 540 and Stratus

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 540 and Stratus
    Posted: 24 May 2023 at 7:50am
Sorry to post such a question, BUT I just cannot seem to get the stratus 3i to communicate w IFD
Does anyone have a simple way to have the IFD 540 receive input from Stratus 3i for ADSB

The new software was loaded, acionis shop signed off

setting up the wifi from stratus to the ifd is not understandable to a non computer mind like me

There must be a simple way of doing it?

Anyone with the exact steps and formula Please!
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:27pm
1) Install Stratus Horizon on your iPad.
2) Power on the Stratus.
3) Connect to the Stratus WiFi network.
4) Run Stratus Horizon.
5) Select the gear symbol in the bottom lower left corner.
6) Select Stratus Settings.
7) Make sure Open ADS-B mode is turned on.

Insure, via your installer, that the ADS-B client mode has been enabled.

8) Boot up your IFD.
9) Select AUX->Setup tab.
10) Select Connectivity.
11) Select Networks.
12) Select the Stratus Network.
13) Select the Connect LSK.

Observe whether the WIFI symbol is showing in the top right of the display. If connected, it should be green in color.

If you want to connect your iPad, you’ll need to specifically allow its IP address on the Stratus network to have access to it. This is controlled via AUX->Setup->Connectivity->Devices. Find the IPad’s IP address from the settings app, WiFi selection, and then hit the “i” button with the circle around it. Find the IP address farther down on this page. That address should be set on the IFD to allow access “Always”.

If you run ForeFlight on your iPad, you MUST always hit cancel each time it tries to convince you to switch the Stratus to “ForeFlight mode”. If you fail to do this, you must start at step 4 above.

tls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 12:29am
Melohn
Thank you
I will try this in the am Thursday

I have Horizon on the ipad I think I understand that

On IFD how can I see if the ADS B client mode is enabled?
I do not use Foreflight, use Wing X

IF and when I get this set up, will this allow ADS B weather on the IFD?

Again sorry to be so naive….

Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2023 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by tls tls wrote:

Melohn
Thank you
I will try this in the am Thursday

I have Horizon on the ipad I think I understand that

On IFD how can I see if the ADS B client mode is enabled?
I do not use Foreflight, use Wing X

IF and when I get this set up, will this allow ADS B weather on the IFD?

The client mode is set, and can been seen, in maintenance mode. This would probably be something you can look at, but should not change, without a discussion with your avionics tech.

I don’t use Wing-X so I can’t tell you whether this will work or not.

cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 6:05pm
If I have a Stratus 3 connected to an IFD540 (newest version of the IFD software installed) but I only get a symbol on the map screen stating no traffic, what does that mean (other than the obvious that no ADS-B traffic is displayed)?    Have I failed to set a toggle?

Edited by cavu - 23 Jun 2023 at 6:07pm
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by cavu cavu wrote:

If I have a Stratus 3 connected to an IFD540 (newest version of the IFD software installed) but I only get a symbol on the map screen stating no traffic, what does that mean (other than the obvious that no ADS-B traffic is displayed)?    Have I failed to set a toggle?

i get that on the ground at startup, it eventually clears once i get closer to the runway if there is traffic in the patter or once i’m airborne .. 

its expected because of how ADSB traffic works.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2023 at 10:50pm
See this relevant post from a while back.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 10:19am
This happens inflight.  Does not say No-TIS-B, its on the map screen below the datablock.  Says TRAFFIC inside a universal "No" symbol.

Here is the link that I found helpful but not sure why I got this message the whole 1 hr flight with other traffic on frequency.

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/135-ifd5xx-4xx-displays-no-tis-b-message-tis-b-or-trfc-in-a-circle-with-a-line-through-it/

I think I have the wifi setup incorrectly for the stratus3.  Not sure how that got changed.

Edited by cavu - 25 Jun 2023 at 1:24pm
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2023 at 12:26pm
I am also confused by the settings in the Connectivity menu (10.3.2.) for devices.

If I want to share wx and traffic info from the stratus3 to the IFD and an other ipad, I need to use the Stratus as the host.

I selected to use the Stratus Wifi but only one device is shown under the devices tab and that IP address is not the IP address of the Ipad.  I don't know how to change that IP address.  

What is the purpose of this tab.  does the IFD need to be shown here if used as a client.

When I reboot, it does get a green wifi symbol on the IFD.

Are there further steps to configure the IFD-100 app?

Capstone is enabled

Edited by cavu - 25 Jun 2023 at 1:11pm
AndyMeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyMeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 3:49pm
Cavu,
Looks like you've also lost, or have marginal GPS. I am not sure if GPS is needed for the IFD to sort out relative traffic positions. Might be part of the loss of traffic problem. I had to re-work my GPS antenna (ground plane on a glass aircraft) and a couple of other minor tweaks, but once done, I've got a super happy IFD with great traffic. (Latest IFD SW 10.3.1.2)
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 6:12pm
yellow GPS does not mean marginal GPS .. it means that a there is no active GPS waypoint enabled.

Edited by ricardo - 09 Jul 2023 at 6:13pm
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2023 at 8:19pm
I'm not sure what No TIS-B means really.  The thread Steve linked to is a bit vague in what is actually prompting this symbol as I am displaying traffic.  

I also see my aircraft my aircraft.  Is there a setting to remove same ship traffic?

362PC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 362PC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 2:19pm
I have had the Stratus 3 working fine for the last few months until just recently and I am also seeing the no traffic icon... not sure what has changed, any tips on debugging that?  IFD540 is connected to the Stratus network, confirmed and working with the network to communicate with my iPad/ForeFlight. iPad and ForeFlight are seeing traffic from Stratus network and I am able to push and pull flight plans with IFD.

Capstone is enabled in settings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic