Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2023 new Jepp database pricing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2023 new Jepp database pricing
    Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 8:16am
Mike Salmon posted about this on the Avidyne Facebook group, but I thought it was worth reposting here. Piecing together two comments from Mike. From the provided screen shots it looks like obstacles and navdata are maybe being unbundled? I'm not sure. The new prices do seem a good bit lower though. Looking forward to more details on this.

"Here's some REALLY exciting news from our friends at Jeppesen. New Avidyne database pricing. And no, these aren't show specials. These are permanent and effective immediately! First order of business when I get back from Osh is to change the 'Jeppesen Pricing for Avidyne Equipment' KB article with the updated list. There will be a joint webinar with us and Jepp leadership to go over the fine details and the new ordering structure."

HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 8:32am
Obstacles have always been separate from navdata for me. There were bundles that included them, but usually those were charts, navdata and obstacle packages. I don't see the full bundles listed. 

I last paid $299 for a US navdata package, so this pricing is very nice. Obstacles were something like $149 or $169. I didn't get that package. This is pretty good news!

I generally prefer to use charts on my iPad with ForeFlight or an EFB. I find them too small and hard to read on my IFD540 in the center stack of my 182. 
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 10:55am
lower prices are welcome .. 

I got my databases ala crate .. nav only on the IFD440 .. (skipped the obstacle one) since i have it on FF ..  and Jepp  plates for ForeFlight .. 

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 12:21pm
What is "with 4SK", the second column?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 25 Jul 2023 at 12:24pm
n144sh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n144sh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 12:48pm
Based on terminology Jeppesen have used with other subscriptions, I think that refers to "4 site keys".   Allowing multiple devices / apps.  
ScB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2023 at 3:32pm
This is good news. I just renewed database only for $299. Looks like I can have obstacles for a lower total price. Hopefully it holds through next year. 

Edited by ScB - 25 Jul 2023 at 3:36pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2023 at 1:12pm
In the past, you can change a subscription mid-stream. Jepp gives you a pro-rated credit for the time you haven't used and credits it to the new subscription. Try calling them if you recently got a subscription and want the new pricing.
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 9:34am
We have updated our Knowledge Base Article for Jeppesen Databases to reflect the changes:
https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:06am
Many thanks for posting the link Mike.

One question .... does the trainer app also count as a device, in addition to the IFD100?
Vince
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2023 at 11:14am
I want to say it does, but only if you're using a different iPad. 
The databases used on Trainer and IFD100 are downloaded to the device, and should pull from the same file location on the iPad.
Mike Salmon
Avidyne Corporation
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2023 at 10:56am
On my iPad, if I update the database on the trainer app, it also updates the database for the IFD100, so it is definitely only one use of a seat. I have a standard Jepp subscription and I've been able to use two iPads to try out the IFD100 with the Trainer, one on each iPad. It has been quite a while since I did that, but it worked at the time without extra subscriptions.
tradenet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tradenet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 7:29pm
I went to shop.jeppesen.com just now (8/24/2023) and the Jeppesen site shows pricing for annual NAV-data-only subscription for IFD for North America at $409/year, not the $175/year shown on https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

Similarly, annual obstacle data is now $171, not $49.

For US charting data Jepp wants $960 for USA for one IFD instead of the $449 shown on the knowledgebase page for all of North America with 4 site keys.

I chatted with Jeppesen tech support about the price differences.  The response from them was "pricing changed".

Seems like Jeppesen decided to increase prices by 230%+ since the knowledge base article was published a month ago (July 23, 2023).

Garmin offers nav data directly for their units which provides some price competition for Jeppesen for their databases.  Civil Air Patrol recently switched from Jepp to Garmin (at least for CAP Pacific Region) for NAV data for the CAP G1000 fleet because Jeppesen pricing had become usurious.

I hope that the idea of finding/enabling a data vendor alternative to Jeppesen for Avidyne can be revisited sooner rather than later.   I worry that Jepp could eventually make owning Avidyne a poor choice from an economic perspective.  With no competitive pricing pressure on Jeppesen we're entirely exposed to Jeppesen's/Boeing's whims.

MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by tradenet tradenet wrote:

I went to shop.jeppesen.com just now (8/24/2023) and the Jeppesen site shows pricing for annual NAV-data-only subscription for IFD for North America at $409/year, not the $175/year shown on https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

Similarly, annual obstacle data is now $171, not $49.

For US charting data Jepp wants $960 for USA for one IFD instead of the $449 shown on the knowledgebase page for all of North America with 4 site keys.

I chatted with Jeppesen tech support about the price differences.  The response from them was "pricing changed".

Seems like Jeppesen decided to increase prices by 230%+ since the knowledge base article was published a month ago (July 23, 2023).

Garmin offers nav data directly for their units which provides some price competition for Jeppesen for their databases.  Civil Air Patrol recently switched from Jepp to Garmin (at least for CAP Pacific Region) for NAV data for the CAP G1000 fleet because Jeppesen pricing had become usurious.

I hope that the idea of finding/enabling a data vendor alternative to Jeppesen for Avidyne can be revisited sooner rather than later.   I worry that Jepp could eventually make owning Avidyne a poor choice from an economic perspective.  With no competitive pricing pressure on Jeppesen we're entirely exposed to Jeppesen's/Boeing's whims.

This simply isn't true. The prices on our Knowledge base article are in fact the new Jepp prices for Avidyne equipment. These are per aircraft, not per device in an aircraft.

Shoot me an email at msalmon@avidyne.com with your account email (and Jepp account number, if available) and I'll pass this up to my counterparts at Jeppesen. If you happen to have the name of the rep you spoke with, I'd love to send that up as well. 
We're finding that we are educating the reps at Jeppesen of their own pricing changes quite often, and unfortunately they learn through escalations, rather than internal training. I'm sorry you are going through this, but I can assure you that the prices I posted in the article are the most current.
Mike Salmon
Avidyne Corporation
tradenet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tradenet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 5:58pm
Hi Mike,

Thank you for your help and kind reply.

I'll send you an email.

Regards,

Andrew
tmbm50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmbm50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 1:53pm
Has anyone been able to use this new pricing?

I also do not see the updated pricing inside my https://shop.jeppesen.com/

Here is what I see for my IFD550 just for the nav data.

paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2023 at 1:58pm
I emailed captain@jeppesen.com with my customer number and asked them to revise my renewal invoice (which is due in mid-September) with the new pricing. They did so right away.

In general, any time I can email them instead of calling or using the website, I do. That gives me a paper trail of who said what, and when, and it saves me from having to wait on hold.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2023 at 11:27am
Originally posted by MikeS MikeS wrote:

I want to say it does, but only if you're using a different iPad. 
The databases used on Trainer and IFD100 are downloaded to the device, and should pull from the same file location on the iPad.

Thanks Mike. I can confirm that if the databases are loaded via the Trainer, then they are also shown in the IFD100 via AUX/Update Databases which opens the Jepp login screen. On one ipad, the databases only needed to be installed via the IFD100 or Trainer app, but not both, and only takes up one Jepp device install.

The question for me is/was related to another app on the same ipad, such as ForeFlight. It seems that the ForeFlight app is seen as a separate device by Jeppesen and linking the Avidyne Jepp database subscription to ForeFlight takes another install, separate from the IFD100/Trainer, even if both are on the same ipad.

The bottom line is that if one has the IFD100 and the Trainer and ForeFlight installed on two ipads, it will take up 4 installs. Grrrr. If the IFD100/Trainer app and ForeFlight only took one install on an ipad, then there would be an additional install available for the iphone.

For charts, one needs to decide either for 3x ForeFlight devices and IFD100/Trainer on only one ipad, or forego the charts on the iphone so that the two ipads can also be used for practice (IFD100/Trainer connection over wifi).  

Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2023 at 7:16am
Jeppesen is still struggling with this. Not sure if the issue is with tech support or the sales staff activating subscriptions.

I had a bundle previously, Europe IFR & VFR coverage, with two mobile licences, and separate Europe IFR & VFR coverage ordered within ForeFlight..... so essentially paying twice so I could get the 3 mobile licences on all ForeFlight devices.

Changed it to Avidyne obstacle, navdata, charts per the table on the Avidyne page with 4 mobile devices, cancelled the Jepp coverage ordered within ForeFlight and then attached my Avidyne subscription to ForeFlight.

Two issues:
- took over 3 weeks to get a quote from Jepp for the new Avidyne pricing .... but now resolved.
- everything works as planned EXCEPT VFR charts disappeared from the Avidyne IFD540. Both IFR & VFR charts are ok on mobile devices (IFD100, ForeFlight). Trouble ticket open with Jeppesen but response is a bit slow..... hoping to get the VFR charts back by the next chart cycle on Sep 15. Interesting that on the IFD100/Trainer the Europe IFR and VFR charts are separate downloads. On the IFD540 there is only one chart download which needs to contain both..... suspect that the issue lies there.

Edited by chflyer - 06 Sep 2023 at 7:19am
Vince
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 11:49am
I spoke with Jeppesen this morning and since I had already paid through April of 24, they were not going to give me any sort of pro-rated refund or credit.  They gave me obstacles, which I did not have before, free until my renewal date.  If I'd like to keep obstacles with my nav data, the new price will be less than the previous nav data only price.

I very much appreciate the time and effort put into reducing these subscription prices - thank you!
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2023 at 2:33pm
Issue with missing VFR charts resolved, but with new subscription the unlimited navdata/obstacle download disappeared. This happened before and seems to happen every time the subscription is changed…. needs new support trouble ticket with Jeppesen to get it reinstated.
Vince
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 12:21am
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Issue with missing VFR charts resolved, but with new subscription the unlimited navdata/obstacle download disappeared. This happened before and seems to happen every time the subscription is changed…. needs new support trouble ticket with Jeppesen to get it reinstated.
Have you had them change your subscription to include your tail #?  Once you do that, there are no restrictions on how many times you can load updates to IFDs that have that tail number in the settings.  (You have to request this change via phone call to Jepp.)

I made that "tail #" change when it became available (last year?  year before?), and when I renewed my subscription earlier this year there was no change to the "unlimited update" behavior.

Edited by MysticCobra - 13 Sep 2023 at 12:23am
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2023 at 8:06am
Yes that's what I'm trying to do, again.

It seems that if the subscription is changed in any way, unlimited downloads (tail# setting) disappears and needs to be reset. I'll try via phone. The last time I tried to have this set up customer/sales support told me I needed to contact tech support (like the notice on the web site says), but their response was that I needed to use customer/sales support because tech support don't have the tools. Go figure.
Vince
Sanjiv View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sanjiv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 12:44am
Too bad I didn't follow this thread on time. 
This is what I have been charged in July for the NA database. But when they see IFD, shouldn't they be charging correctly!! And thats after 10% AOPA discount ;)

Edited by Sanjiv - 10 Oct 2023 at 1:03am
PA28-236 @N14
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:18am
Be very careful with Jeppesen as my friend just found out.

When I was at OSH this summer I renewed the subscription for both my IFD and my friend's IFD at the new pricing.

My friend however put his credit card on file with Jeppesen and received a notification that his subscription was expiring and they were about to charge his CC for a new subscription **AT THE OLD RATE**

Apparently Jeppesen sees the old rate and the new rate as two different contracts and if you don't cancel the old contract they will happily renew the old contract concurrently with the new lower rate contract.

You have been warned to keep your eyes open, and don't put your credit card on file with Jeppesen!
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:23am
If you paid a higher price, you can call Jeppesen and change to the new price. They will pro-rate however many months you've used of what you paid for and credit the rest towards the purchase of the new, cheaper plan.
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2023 at 8:26am
I'm sure they will prorate something, but in my friend's car they were going to have two subscriptions going for the same unit, one under the old pricing and one under the new pricing.

Their system is incapable of linking the old and new subscription plans together.
rjevansuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjevansuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 9:12am
I just got the renewal from Jepp for Europe VFR & IFR and it doesn't match the numbers in https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/353-jeppesen-pricing-for-avidyne-equipment/

The price quoted by Jepp  is 1,359 EUR

According to the above link for Avidyne pricing:

Navdata Europe (IFR + VFR)  349 EUR
Charts Europe (IFR + VFR)  449 EUR
Obstacles Europe (IFR + VFR) 99 EUR
Total = 897 EUR That is 462 EUR less than my Jepp renewal !
Have I made a mistake or am I missing something?

Help greatly appreciated.

MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 9:19am
You've got to call or email them to change it to the new regions. Renewing online doesn't sign you up for the new regions and pricing as it is still listing only the Pre-Osh '23 plans.

Mike Salmon
Avidyne Corporation
rjevansuk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjevansuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 11:26am
Thanks Mike, I will give the a call.

chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2024 at 12:36pm
I have that subscription and can confirm the Avidyne prices you are expecting. I can also confirm Mike's comment which was my experience too.

If you have an AOPA membership, Jeppesen will also give you a 15% discount on those prices giving a total of 762.45 EURO incl AOPA discount.

That bundle gives you 4 devices. If you use ForeFlight, then you can access the same Jepp coverage from ForeFlight too on the same subscription.

Edited by chflyer - 04 Jan 2024 at 12:40pm
Vince
cbcfdx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbcfdx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2024 at 3:07pm
FYI...  It's now March 8, 2024.  The Jepp website still has the old prices.  North America Obstacles and Nav Data was going to cost $558.  A phone call got the new prices and a total of $224.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic