Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Localizer and ILS identifier methodolgy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Localizer and ILS identifier methodolgy
    Posted: 20 Dec 2023 at 3:44pm
I recently had a DPE tell me that while conducting an instrument checkride using a Garmin system, the ILS identifier displayed the correct ID for the approach, but when listening to the morse code, it was incorrect.  Instead of an"I" preceding the airport identifier it was a "K". He reported it and it was ultimately updated, the wrong morse code had in fact been entered for the ILS.

This made me wonder if the ID methodology is actually the physical location and frequency pair and not the morse code that is transmitted.

Can you verify if the Avidyne IFDs use the morse code or the location/frequency pair to display the ID.
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 9:43am
Not exactly the same situation, but when flying a practice ILS, in VFR conditions, to an airport that uses the same localizer frequency for both directions, sometimes the tower doesn't switch the localizer over to the runway in use. The morse code ID is different, but the frequency is the same.

Rolfe
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 3:33pm
The IFD decodes the Morse code from the radio signal.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 3:51pm
Good to hear.  Must be a Garmin thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic