Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

terrain databases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: terrain databases
    Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 4:11am
I just upgraded an IFD540/440 pair from 10.2 to 10.3.1.2.

I don‘t recall seeing the terrain databases shown on the SYS databases page before, but they are now and I see that my IFD540 has a terrain db from 2012 and the IFD440 has a terrain database from 2015.

Should these not be the same? I‘m troubleshooting a CrossSync problem and I understand that needs the same databases on both units.

I think these need to come from Avidyne. Does that need a call to tech support? Are they installed using the same process as the navdata and obstacles?
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 8:46am
Further info, CrossSync now working so terrain db doesn‘t need to be the same on both IFD.
Vince
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 10:17am
The terrain databases are loaded the same as the other databases.  They can be different and crossfill will work.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 2:39am
There is no expiry data on the terrain databases and neither the 2012 nor 2015 version is flagged as being expired. The only way I've found to determine if there is a newer version than that installed is to check the version loaded in the IFD Trainer. Currently this is 2015. Without any indication from Avidyne to the contrary, I assume that the terrain database is the same for all devices, IFD5xx and IFD4xx.

UPD: Just noticed that there is a Service Bulletin issued in 2022 describing the process for updating these as well as a 1.8GB terrain database file, both of which can be downloaded directly.... so that kind of closes the question for me.

Edited by chflyer - 10 Jan 2024 at 3:07am
Vince
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

UPD: Just noticed that there is a Service Bulletin issued in 2022 describing the process for updating these as well as a 1.8GB terrain database file, both of which can be downloaded directly.... so that kind of closes the question for me.

Do you have a link?

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 9:54pm
Ah, looks like this is it ...

https://pilotsupport.avidyne.com/kb/article/778-ifd5xx-4xx-terrain-database-load-utility/

Jepp did say, when I was talking to them, that Avi took over the Terrain database uploads.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 9:58pm
Or maybe not, the PDF still talks about downloading the file by JDM from Jepp, although it appears that the data file is there to download as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Jan 2024 at 10:00pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 1:20am
I queried tech support on this SB as it has some errors. That is one. Also IFD software part numbers are wrong.

Mike confirmed the link is current and Avidyne supplies the terrain database and correct, that is it next to the SB. It is 1.8GB, worldwide, and loads via normal db update process but can take up to 90 min so be sure to have ext power.

Edited by chflyer - 11 Jan 2024 at 1:23am
Vince
Randy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

I queried tech support on this SB as it has some errors. That is one. Also IFD software part numbers are wrong.

Mike confirmed the link is current and Avidyne supplies the terrain database and correct, that is it next to the SB. It is 1.8GB, worldwide, and loads via normal db update process but can take up to 90 min so be sure to have ext power.
Just to confirm, this is for the IFD540 AND the  IFD 440?  Correct?
Regards,
Randy
Regards,
Randy
Robert114 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 5:53pm
Is there an Avidyne link to download the terrain data? Is there a charge for the current data?
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2024 at 1:57am
The link is above. No charge.
Vince
vas4avidyne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:13am
The IFD unit in my plane shows that the Jeppesen Terrain Data has a date of Aug 5, 2015. I checked the link above and it seems to indicate that the terrain database utility was last updated 8/9/22. Does anyone know if the actual terrain database in there is more recent than 2015? 

It looks like the update procedure can take up to 90 minutes so I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to go ahead and update.

Thanks,

Vas
Toadpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toadpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 9:47pm
The 2015 terrain database is the most current from what I know. The service bullet that is with the terrain database download also says it is for the Nov 2015 terrain database.
Jeff Hullinger
1964 Piper PA-30 N97VP
IFD550/IFD440/EX500/AMX240/
RDR2100/GMX345/GDL69A/
SKY497/STEC60-2/G5 AI/G5 HSI
vas4avidyne View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vas4avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2024 at 11:48pm
Thanks, Jeff! I read the bulletin but missed the date!

Vas
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic