Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD 500ft callout

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _phm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD 500ft callout
    Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 6:18am
Hi there. After installing a couple of months ago a new IFD440, I noticed that the 500ft callout was not being heard. Seems that the shop that installed the IFD didnt wire it to my comm box.

Now I decided to bring the aircraft to a 2nd shop, which said that the wiring would be useless, as the device didn't come with the TAWS option enabled.

Do a really need to purchase this additional license just to hear the 500ft callout? 

Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 7:01am
Do you have any audio callouts at all?  If not, you will need to wire the IFD to your audio panel.  The other place to look is in the maintenance mode, there is an option to select the callouts 1000, 500, 400, 300, 200, 100.
_phm_ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _phm_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 8:34am
OK, but do I need to purchase the TAWS extra feature to make this work?

Edited by _phm_ - 10 Feb 2024 at 8:34am
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 7:32pm
You do not need to purchase the TAWS option to get the altitude callouts.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2024 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by _phm_ _phm_ wrote:

Hi there. After installing a couple of months ago a new IFD440, I noticed that the 500ft callout was not being heard. Seems that the shop that installed the IFD didnt wire it to my comm box.

Now I decided to bring the aircraft to a 2nd shop, which said that the wiring would be useless, as the device didn't come with the TAWS option enabled.

Do a really need to purchase this additional license just to hear the 500ft callout? 

The shop is wrong, you do not need the full TAWS option, to get many of the TAWS-like features - like the altitude callouts.

If you have no other IFD audio as well, almost certainly your IFD audio out is not wired to your audio panel. IIRC, the output is on the fourth connector, which in the older GNS units was used ONLY for TAWS.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Feb 2024 at 9:49pm
MikeS View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:12am
"F500" is the callouts enablement, which is enabled in your IFD.
It's either disabled in the Voice Call Outs Config page, is not wired to the audio panel, or the volume is down.
Mike Salmon
Technical Marketing Manager
Avidyne Corporation
eallevato View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eallevato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2024 at 9:54am
Do you get other audio alerts such as: Terrain Ahead, Airspace Alert ahead, etc …? If not, then it is likely that the audio pins are not wired to the audio panel.
Some reverse engineering can determine if the TAWS/Airspace/Altitude callout audio is wired or not.
That audio comes out of pins 52 and 53 of P1001 which is the main connector (78 pins) on the backplate.
Step 1: Use a 3/32 Allen wrench to remove the 440 from the tray.
Step 2: Take a high resolution picture of P1001, the big connector, use the zoom feature to focus in on the big connector.
Step 3: See if connector locations 52 & 53 have pins in them or not. If not, there is your problem.
Step 4: Carefully slide the 440 back into the tray and use the 3/32 Allen to secure it.

Gene
Gene
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic