Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

wx500 and ifd540 not talking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wx500 and ifd540 not talking
    Posted: 24 Feb 2024 at 9:12pm
I have an IFD540 that was installed along with a wx500 stormscope in 2014. It was working at that time. I have since upgraded the software to 10.2.0.0.A but otherwise the avionics are as they were installed. I live in California, so don't have a lot of times when I would see a lot of lightning activity. At some point it looks like it stopped displaying strike data on the 540. I noticed this on a trip across the country last year. Checking the status LEDs shows everything it is supposed to. TX and RX lights are on and blink occasionally. The other LEDS look correct. However I cannot see anything on the IFD540 config page when looking at the pages that should show information on the WX500 status. Its just blank, no error logs or other. so it looks like it's not talking to the IFD. the WX500 is currently on RS232 port 3. I tried moving it around to other ports in case this had somehow gotten mis-assigned but that didn't help. My question before I take it for service is are there any other configuration settings i should check, for RS232 or other before I do that.
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2024 at 11:58am
One other thing. I looked at the schematics and realized that the Aspen PFD is also wired to the WX500. The schematics show that the Aspen TX and RX lines are wired in parallel to the IFD TX and RX lines to the WX500. I thought that was a bad idea to have two TX lines connected together. Maybe this is somehow related to the issue?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic