Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Terrain Awareness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cascade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrain Awareness
    Posted: 19 Jul 2024 at 12:48pm
I have been communicating with Avidyne Support about the visual ground proximity warnings (amber and magenta crosshatching on the display).  The crosshatching is supposed to be inhibited in the vicinity of airports. If not inhibited, the crosshatching obscures important visual info, including runway orientation and step-down waypoints and descent restrictions. At KEUG (and perhaps in my dim recollection at other local airports in our area) the amber cross-hatching inhibition fails, so that a flood of amber cross-hatching appears on short final and spoils the visual display on the screen. The visual warnings can be turned off in set-up mode, but that isn’t something one should do on short final on an instrument approach when the pilot is surprised by the visual clutter.  Avidyne said they would work with the engineers to try to get that fixed, but any fix may not be rolled out until the next operating system update, scheduled for this fall. I am curious if other pilots have experienced this failure-to-inhibit at any other airport – if so, Avidyne Support should be made aware.

Cascade
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2024 at 6:40am
The issue that you describe has been discussed before, and was introduced with the 10.3.x.x release as a result of the higher resolution terrain that is now available.  It’s better when you have the higher terrain base map installed which requires a hardware modification (a larger internal memory card). 

We all agree this was a downgrade from the prior release where the terrain features worked as expected and desired.  When we asked here on the forum, we were told it is a limitation of the processor in the IFD and its ability to draw/redraw the map with the higher resolution terrain.  I spoke with one of the engineers at Oshkosh last year, but was told it is simply a limitation at this point. 

Somewhere here I posted a picture of the higher resolution terrain compared to the lower resolution terrain and the difference is noticeable and much improved. I have 1 IFD with it, and one without. While nice, I’d rather be without the enhanced terrain but have the old view of the terrain crosshatching.

BTW, your eyes should be outside on short final…
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2024 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

Somewhere here I posted a picture of the higher resolution terrain compared to the lower resolution terrain and the difference is noticeable and much improved. I have 1 IFD with it, and one without. While nice, I’d rather be without the enhanced terrain but have the old view of the terrain crosshatching.

Absolutely for sure, the change was a misstep.

I finally turned my terrain awareness "mesh" OFF. Even where the airport environs suppresses it, it still corrupts your view of the surrounding area. And, it is just visually distracting. It is unfortunate that a relatively valuable dataset needs to be disabled.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 23 Jul 2024 at 11:14pm
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2024 at 10:02am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

[QUOTE=Gring]...

Absolutely for sure, the change was a misstep.

I finally turned my terrain awareness "mesh" OFF. Even where the airport environs suppresses it, it still corrupts your view of the surrounding area. And, it is just visually distracting. It is unfortunate that a relatively valuable dataset needs to be disabled.

* Orest

+1, absolutely. Flying in the mountains is critical!

Klaus
Klaus
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic