Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Draft Pilot Guide Available

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 10:06am
Victor,   I just checked the chart overlays on the MX20 in the lab this morning and all works great via the MapMx protocol.   By that I mean, when an approach is active in the IFD540, then the appropriate chart automatically gets called up and displayed on the MX20.  This is true for all approach types.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 1:52pm
I just knew it would :)  Thanks Steve for letting me know and to the lab guy/s who made this a possibility.  No doubt a lot of work and patience put into it.

Victor
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 2:27pm
VTF is used on 1-20 but not defined until much later in the doc.  If there's room just use Vectors-To-Final and the reader will understand VTF after that.  On the 530/430 series I almost never use VTF because it wipes out the step-down, IAP, and most other fixes that ATC sends you to after they're gone from the flight plan.

Does the IFD preserve those fixes if you do select VTF?

Looking forward to the sim on my iPad.  Used iPads are cheap.  Unless Avidyne coded the iPad app in a cross-dev product like Titanium or Unity it's not coming for Android anytime soon.

TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 6:00am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Victor,   I just checked the chart overlays on the MX20 in the lab this morning and all works great via the MapMx protocol.   By that I mean, when an approach is active in the IFD540, then the appropriate chart automatically gets called up and displayed on the MX20.  This is true for all approach types.
Now THAT is good news. How does it play with Avidyne's own EX600/5000?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 4:16pm
Hi all,

I've just posted an updated IFD540 Pilot Guide draft.  This one is dated 13 December 2013.  The same link as last time still works:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

I've added about 20 pages of content to the doc based on all the feedback I've received to date.

I did NOT attempt to fix the formatting/pagination woes yet - I'll be saving that for the last step.  As a result, internal hyperlinking from the TOCs and Index is not yet functional. Other known to-dos are highlighted in yellow in the pdf

Another action item I have is to ensure all the images are high res so if you are pinch zooming the electronic version, the image stays crisp.

Please let me know if you have any other feedback.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 10:22pm
Excellent.

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 4:57pm
just a couple of quick commemts on the revision one of the users manual.

on page 2-25.  the last paragraph talks about staying ahead of the aircraft by using the wind vector but its not talked about prior.  I assume this is the wind vector that is described on page 4-26?  might be nice to have a picture and describe how the data for winds is generated.  Is it an algorithm that runs which will continually look at side slip for the flight an estimate magnitude and direction?

on page 2-21  I think you should add a picture showing a split screen

on page 2-25  In the weather section, I would add a reference to section 3-12

on page 3-12  I know that this might get into your product development plans and competitive advantage issues but I sure would like to know if the system will be able to parse through the FIS-B data and populate some fields so I don't have to continually feed the data hungry addict.

You guys have done a really nice job.  When can I get a preliminary ICD so I can start planning out my cockpit integration?  Most shops aren't going to know how to integrate this thing and take advantage all off the thought that went into the design.

Edited by tony - 15 Dec 2013 at 5:00pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 7:24pm
Thank you Tony (and those of you who sent direct emails) for comments so far on the 13 Dec variant.

To directly address Tony's comments/questions:

Wind Vector comment against page 2-15:  good point.  Just added some content on page 2-15 to address this.

Split page picture request page 2-21:  Agreed.  Picture just added for next update.

Weather section part of page 2-125:  Agreed.  Picture just added for next update.

FIS-B request - I will stay silent on that for now but I'm seriously contemplating directly addressing the request.  (Need to get over today's Patriots loss and Giants loss first....)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 7:26pm
Oh, and on the ICD request, yah, I should be able to post a draft of the Install Manual soon.  It's an active back & forth right now with the FAA on that one so I may wait until that churn slows down a little.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:26am
What does ICD stand for?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 9:22am
ICD = Interface Control Document.

It's a bit of misnomer here.  A real ICD is a lower level (more technically detailed) doc that defines the communication (and other things like power) protocols that allow two devices to communicate properly.

I interpreted Tony's request to be more of an Install Manual request so that installers know how/what to wire and how to configure the other devices (ARINC429 vs RS232 for example) to talk to/from the IFD540.  Our Install Manual does contain setup information and what signals go to what pins.

Happily, most installers will be very familiar with that sort of stuff since it's plug and play with the Garmin 530s meaning the type of wiring they've done for the past 15 years is the same.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 10:41am
Install manual would be awesome. Thank you.  Now that I'm on a roll, any chance of posting the install manual for the 240 and 340 as well? 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 10:42am
Steve:

Pardon the ignorance.  

If one wishes to prepare for the IFD540 release (assuming he/she is early on the release list) - would it be beneficial to obtain a GNS 530 install tray and migrate the connectors, or wait for Avidyne's install kit?

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 3:13pm
Tony,  540 Install Manual may go up later this week.  Same for the AXP340 (Transponder).   The AMP240 (Audio Panel) can be found at:

http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/audio.asp

David,  Yes, installing a 530 tray now would clearly save some time.  We have an install kit (not yet released) that does all the same thing.  I think it's $500.     One important note, if you go the 530 tray route now, be sure to have your installer include the TAWS wiring to the audio panel.   That way you will get the Forward Looking Terrain Alerting aurals in your headset from the 540.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 4:16am
Dear Steve

As my Commander is in the shop anyway I contacted them with the question wether they could prewire the 530 bracket already..

They came back with the following reply:

Is the IFD-540 TAWS-B certified?

Is TAWS-B included in the certification?

Usually there should also be an external annunciator with Taws-B?

In other words he was not willing to prewire anything. 

Now I am a total dodo in this field so maybe you can help me? I ordered 2 IFD540's without Taws-B .. however I believe there is a terrain warning in the system anyway. I presume that this system will give an audio warning as well?

As the IFD540 will go in the 530 bracket I presume the wiring will be identical to the 530?

I would appreciate it if you can give the shop and me some guidance?

regards

Willem

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2013 at 7:05pm
Hi Willem,

The initial release of the IFD540 does not contain certified TAWS but, it does contain a feature called Forward Looking Terrain Alerting (FLTA).  FLTA is one element of TAWS but not the only sub-feature that defines TAWS.

FLTA does contain aural alerts and they are identical to the certified TAWS aurals.  But, in order to hear those aurals in your headset, you need to ensure the pin that supplies G530 TAWS aurals is wired to the airplane audio panel.   For those customers who had G-530 TAWS, they already have that wire installed.  For those who didn't, they should add that wire between the 530/540 tray and the audio panel exactly as it is spelled out in the G530 installation manual.

Clear enough or do you/they need more info?

Steve
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2013 at 10:46am

Last night I went through the setup chapter of the IFD guide and began to think about how I might like to setup a dual IFD540 setup in my aircraft which has traditional steam gauges.  I think Steve and crew have done an outstanding job at providing configuration flexibility.  I used a screen capture tool to cut and paste various images from the pilot guide into an Excel spreadsheet to give me an idea of what it might look like.  I'm super pleased.  Here is what I came up with.

Edit: I figured out how to post an embedded image.

Edited by Gring - 05 Jan 2014 at 7:02pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2013 at 1:03pm
Another version (20 Dec 2013) of the IFD540 Pilot Guide just posted at same location:

Added more content and pictures to help illustrate some areas that folks were asking about.  Fixed some, but not all, pagination issues.   Added links to the Wx Datalink products and external devices we connect to.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 1:23pm
I have to tell you, that after the opportunity to paw a development 540 myself, and since reading through the docs (now three times), I am getting even more excited about the after-Holidays excitement coming my way!

Can't wait for the simulator software as well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 22 Dec 2013 at 1:24pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 1:42pm
The manual is great. Many thanks for posting & inc feedback. I have a few questions:
1) On p1-8 under POWER CONTROL it states "IFD will automatically start when the aircraft bus power is applied". Do you really mean "avionics bus"? In my C172, avionics is on a separate bus from the electrical tach, AI, etc.
2) I have a WX-500 connected to my GNS430, and there is a page to show the info, clear strike info, & config display on the map page. I haven't yet found any info in the IFD manual on this setup. Is it coming in a later draft?
3) I am able to define multiple flt plns on my computer (eg when planning a 10 day trip) and then transfer them to the Garmin via data card. Same applies to user waypoint creation (many) & transfer of them to the Garmin within a flt pln file without any actual pln. Can this also be done with the IFD via USB slot? Garmin provides computer software to write flt planning software output in Garmin fmt to the data card via data card writing hardware. Is there Avidyne software to do this function on the computer, but translating to USB data fmt?
4) the manual only mentions US obstacle data. Is obstacle data not available outside the US?
5) I assume nav & chart data are supplied by Jepp. Does this mean the Jepp pgm I now use to write nav data to my Garmin's data card can also be used to write IFD nav & chart data to the Avidyne USB fob? Are nav & chart data separate subscriptions? Can both be written to the same fob so only one fob is needed to update both?

Vince
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 6:05pm
Sorry, pls ignore 5). I must have been asleep after 200pp of reading ... All q under 5) answered on pp7-22 to 7-25.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2013 at 6:22pm
On p7-17, power distribution, is the draw (4/8A) for a 12/14V system (i.e. 2/4A for a 24/28V system)?
Vince
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2013 at 10:19am
Hi Vince,

Avionics vs Aircraft bus:   In most aircraft, yes, it's the avionics bus but I intentionally genericized it because there are some "non-conventional" aircraft out there.  In your case, it's definitely the avionics bus.

WX500 - There is some setup stuff on this in the Install Manual.  The operational user side is in the PG, specifically it's on page 3-15 of the Pilot Guide under the Wx Overlay section.

Multiple Flight Plans and Data Transfer - the IFD540 does support multiple flight plans BUT, the first release will not support making those flight plans off-board and then importing them into the IFD540 via USB fob or other method.  Of course, building a flight plan on the IFD540 is way easier than on a 430/530 so the time savings realized by building many off-board and then importing them into a 540 via the external link is trivial when compared to the time and hassle savings of doing the same on a 430/530.

Geographic span of obstacle database - we're using a global data base for obstacles so anything that's part of the database worldwide and more than 200' AGL will be included. I'll edit the manual to make that clearer.  (page 7-24)

Power Distribution - I'll make that clearer in the Pilot Guide.  The system pulls approximately 1.8 A (rounded up to 2A) for 28V aircraft and double that for 14V aircraft.  Max load (VHF transmit at 16W) is approximately 4A for 28V aircraft and 8A for 14V aircraft.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2013 at 5:50pm
On pp 3-9/3-10 re info pop-up boxes, do they disappear after a fixed time? Is there a way to manually make one disappear quicker (once needed info has been noted ... Eg double tap, single tap just pages thru pp)?
Vince

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2013 at 9:09am
Hi Vince,

Good catch.  I'll make an edit to the PG to reflect the missing info.  

As for the specific question, the map popup boxes do timeout on their own after 20 seconds and they can be dismissed by tapping anywhere else on the display outside of the box.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 9:25pm
Steve,

More feedback on the UG ...

The description of the SYS tab starting on page 4-42 raises a few questions:
- FUEL MANAGEMENT is ok if my assumption is correct that that the presence of the Fuel Mgmt LSK is independent of the L4 "Select" LSK.
- SYSTEM STATUS - this is where it starts to get a bit fuzzy for me. As a multi-state LSK, the Select LSK is shown consecutively with "Software", "Databases", "GPS", and "Datalink" values, each with a description and screenshot of the associated page. So far so good. However, on p 4-44 there is a statement that pressing the LSK when "Databases" is displayed will put the IFD into Maintenance Mode for database updates. This seems to contradict a) the premise that pressing the LSK while in "Databases" will toggle to the next state (GPS) and b) the update process as described on p 7-24 which uses the SETUP tab rather than the SYS tab, although this isn't mentioned in Section 4 where the SETUP tab is described.
Skipping to Section 7, a similar statement is made on p 7-26, that pressing this Select LSK while in "Software" and the system is not in-air, a "Download Logs" LSK is presented. Do I conclude correctly, therefore, that pressing the Select LSK when not in-air and showing Software or Databases, it will then toggle to the Logs or Update tab respectively on the same Maintenance Mode page shown on p 7-27 (logs tab via "Download Logs" LSK & Confirm/Cancel LSKs)? An additional screenshot of Maintenance mode with Update tab selected in the DATA UPDATES section would make this a bit clearer, but the apparent contradictions needs to be explained away somehow.
On page 4-15 there is a recommendation to back up checklists by downloading them onto USB fobs, with the procedures supplied later in the manual. Could you indicate where these are located? I have been unable to find them.
- a general comment: It might make more sense to include the DATA UPDATES and DATALOGS DOWNLOAD information in the AUX section where first mentioned, as well as the info on checklist downloading. An alternative would be to have a separate MAINTENANCE MODE section in the General chapter, which covers updating as well as datalog and checklist downloading all as sub-sections.

Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 6:49pm
Reference the Fuel Mgmt question - yes, it is completely independent from the L4 LSK.

Reference System Status - yes, I agree that those descriptions needed improvement.  I updated the pictures in the PG a few days ago that does a much better job of showing the various LSKs.    By way of preview right here, when the Databases selection is made, an extra LSK pops up that when pressed, presents a confirmation LSK and if confirmed by you, then jumps to Mx Mode.   So, in summary, I've made some edits to the PG that hopefully clears this up.  You'll see that in the next rev I post.

Reference Checklist backup method, I forgot to include that in the last version posted and have since added a section to the next rev that describes how to do it.

Thanks for the comments/questions.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 4:10pm
14 Jan 2014 Update version just uploaded to same link.  Should have all the comments supplied above addressed.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 6:14pm
Thanks, grabbing it. Perhaps the final!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 14 Jan 2014 at 6:15pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 8:38pm
Not exactly final.  I still have a few pagination things to fix and you'll see a few notes to self in yellow about getting better pix plus the lawyers still have to finish their treatment but I think this all the content I plan to put in.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 11:50am
Updated IFD540 Pilot Guide just posted in same spot.    Edits made throughout the book.  All known pagination issues fixed.  Blessed by lawyers.

Updated IM expected in the next day or less.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 3:53pm
I think there is a copy and paste error on page 2-35.  Under the rad/rad waypoint, it talks about entering coordinates similar to lat/long from just above.  I assume it should talk about selecting navaids and radials.  It looks like the same copy and paste error for rad/dist.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 4:22pm
Thank you Brou.

I've just posted a new version (Rev 00-C) at

Changes from Rev 00-B include:

Small formatting edits throughout

pg 2-6 Vector SID Note added

pg 2-18 Enroute Descent and TOD text changed

pg 2-34 Cleaned up wording on user waypoints

pg 5-7 OBS section enhanced

pg 5-13 New Tips and techniques box

pg 6-8 New caution added

pg 6-31 thru 6-34 Datalogs enhanced - added Configuration Logs

Inside Back Cover - FCC approval

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 7:57pm
Sure, for another one...

I'm having a hard time with the wording of the Cool Feature - Fuel Range Ring.

To me, range with reserve is always less than range without reserve.  Range without reserve means where I run out of gas and is further than when I still have reserve gas in the tanks.  The picture shows a dashed green line (maximum range without reserve) that has a smaller diameter than the solid green line (max range allowing a 45 minute reserve) so these seem backwards to me.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:43am
You are the 2nd person to say they are confused by that wording.    I'll clean up the text by adding a word that should hopefully fix the confusion.

So, the text will now read (added word in bold underline here for highlighting):  "The dashed green circle indicates the total maximum range without using the reserve.  A wider solid green circle indicates the extra range the reserve fuel should provide."
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:52am
I'm the other person that was confused by the picture.  I would expect the range without using reserves would be much closer to the range with using reserves, and not so close to the departure airport.  The picture looks like it is from a very fast airplane (jet) that took off with very little usable fuel.  Maybe it is just the scaling of the picture.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:57am
Agreed.  I will update the picture in Rev 00-D too.  I do look at it on every sortie and know that the actual representation in-flight is much more usable and intuitive than the PG image.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 10:27pm
I have a question concerning the install manual. 

I note that the manual has some very specific antenna location guidance that is much more restrictive than was the 'W' version of the Garmin 530. My antennas were installed using those Garmin requirements and they work fine with the 530W. Will I be able to get the "slide out, slide in" approval for the 540 even though my antennas are not in the positions specified for the new IFD 540 install manual?

Happy Skies,

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 1:35pm
Hi Bob, 

That's a good question and not one I have an immediate answer for.  We'll look into it on Monday.

I'll make a new post here with any updates.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:52am
Hi Bob,

Looked into this a little bit.   Bottom line first - no relief in the data/guidance as published in the draft IFD540 IM.

A little more color......we're governed by among other things, AC 20-138C.   That's the 4th revision of the Advisory Circular that covers GPS (and antenna) installations and each has gotten more and more directive.  Rev C came out on 8 May 2012 and that's the one we fall under.  Rev B was 27 Sep 2010, Rev A was 22 Dec 2003 and the original came out on 25 May 1994.

In addition, as noted in the Plug & Play section of the IFD540 draft Pilot Guide (around page 6-37), I include a note about how we claim to be P & P compatible with the 530 that corresponds to Rev C of Garmin IM 190-00357-08 and I just peeked at that version and saw the equivalent set of GPS antenna guidance that we have in the IFD540 IM.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:08am
I was reading the section about fuel data. I did not see any mention of FF per engine for those of us with twins. Can you confirm that info will display?
DaveM
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:34am

Hi Bob,

Looked into this a little bit.   Bottom line first - no relief in the data/guidance as published in the draft IFD540 IM.

A little more color......we're governed by among other things, AC 20-138C.   That's the 4th revision of the Advisory Circular that covers GPS (and antenna) installations and each has gotten more and more directive.  Rev C came out on 8 May 2012 and that's the one we fall under.  Rev B was 27 Sep 2010, Rev A was 22 Dec 2003 and the original came out on 25 May 1994.

In addition, as noted in the Plug & Play section of the IFD540 draft Pilot Guide (around page 6-37), I include a note about how we claim to be P & P compatible with the 530 that corresponds to Rev C of Garmin IM 190-00357-08 and I just peeked at that version and saw the equivalent set of GPS antenna guidance that we have in the IFD540 IM.

Well, *that's* gonna catch a fair number of folks by surprise, including me.  When I was sold this box, it was with the claim that it was a slide-in replacement...there was no asterisk with fine print saying "if you're compliant with the most recent antenna install requirements".

I guess I'm going to have to do some digging to see if I've got some surprise extra install costs coming.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:37am
I'll take a look at the twin engine fuel flow story.

The P&P equivalency version of the IM came out in June 2010.   
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:48am

The P&P equivalency version of the IM came out in June 2010.   

Where was that posted?  The first IM I ever saw was the draft announced in this thread.

Might be nice if you update question 72 in the FAQ:  "If I've already done the WAAS modification to my aircraft, will it work as is in IFD540/440?  (Updated  5 July 2012)"  
A:  Yes, it will. We have engineered our WAAS solution to use the exact same antennas as those in the  530W/430W installations. Therefore, you are able to leave the WAAS antennas, mounting, and coax all in  place, saving several thousands of dollars of installation expense.

Edited by MysticCobra - 10 Mar 2014 at 10:50am
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 3:33pm

Good Afternoon Steve

I read through the 2.5.1 section of the Garmin Install Manual. My opinion is that I can convince any reasonable person that the position of my antennas is within the intent of the guidance.

It is one of those "How do I explain this at the hearing?" type of situations. We will just have to see if I can convince my installer of the validity of my interpretation. <G>

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:34pm
Sounds good Bob.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:40pm
The FAQ update is a good idea.   I'll get that updated on Tuesday to be more clear.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:44pm
DaveM,

The Fuel Flow data block and Fuel Used data block will both reflect the data coming from the fuel flow system you have installed.   For twins, most systems will send both left, right and total.  We use the total value.  So, fuel flow should be a summed value of both fuel flows in a Twin.   Fuel used should also be a summed total.

That was a good point wrt the Pilot Guide and I'll make an edit right now to clarify that it is the summed total as supplied by the fuel flow system.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DaveM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 10:26pm
I am disappointed. My existing GPS (GX60) shows fuel burn per engine plus total burn, fuel remaining and range. Would it make a difference that I have a ADC 200 air data box?

It might seem like a small item but I don't have a digital FF gauge and I use the info to fine tune the fuel burn.
DaveM
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2014 at 7:38am
It wouldn't make a difference to the IFD540 what fuel flow system is connected (assuming it's one of the supported list) with respect to being able to display individual engine fuel flows.

I did however add some new datablocks (individual engine fuel flows) to the candidate list for future software releases.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic