Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator - software versions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simulator - software versions
    Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 1:17pm
Quote Any word when the simulator software may appear?  Yes, it will be available prior to shipping the certified units, at least the Apple-compatible version ...

I really would like to see an android version, or at the very least a windows based version. Android has become the dominant platform, and of course there is a windows machine most everywhere.

I do not have any iThingies, and would hate to be forced to get one just for this purpose. Sure, I know there are only so many hours in the day, but please let me make this request.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 08 Dec 2013 at 1:46pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 2:07pm
I should have said we also have a Windows-based version ready too and plan to distribute it before certified units are shipping.

Android variant on the to-do list but not an active project yet.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2013 at 2:25pm
OK, thanks.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 12:06am
I know I've said it before and have been replied to, but this seems like a good place to chime in about android.  I have yet to have seen the IFD-540 in person and I've have had my money on the line for a long time.  I only have an android tablet and windows PCs and at the very least would like to run the simulator prior to receiving my unit to have some sort of semi-evaluation that I'm still happy with the product.  I'm not insinuating that I have issues with it, but it's a lot of money for something I haven't test driven.

An android version with enough evaluation time prior to unit delivery would be ideal.

Will the windows simulator software be useable on a desktop without a touchscreen?

Will you be displaying the unit at any trade-shows in the southwest (CA) any time soon?  Your website doesn't have any upcoming events if I'm looking correctly http://www.avidyne.com/news/shows.asp.

Thanks,
Jayson
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2013 at 11:00pm
bump, are there any upcoming trade shows in the southwest to be able to demo the IFD-540?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2014 at 6:40pm
Not sure.  I've got a call into the Sales crew to see if there are any demo opportunities coming to the Southwest soon.   Will post update here or have them call you direct with answer.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2014 at 2:27pm
Bump
(Experimental deliveries in Feb)
PH
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 3:35am
Another Android user here.  There are a lot of us out here.

Also, could you please confirm that the sim will run on Windows machines that are not tablets (Win 7)?  

I don't have any Apple devices or a Windows tablet, and I seriously doubt I'm the only customer in that situation.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 2:56pm
I'll check non-Win 7 machines early this week.

The pre-TSO deliveries are not coming with an accompanying simulator.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 9:43pm
I think he was asking about using the simulator on a Win-7 PC, not a tablet - something without a touch screen.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:24pm
So Steve for the rest of us that listened to you and went out and purchased an iPad, when can we expect to see a simulator in the App Store?

Edited by tony - 28 Jan 2014 at 10:16pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 12:59pm
Right around the time of certification.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2014 at 7:45am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

I'll check non-Win 7 machines early this week.

Actually, I meant "will the sim run on non-tablet machines, like a Win7 desktop or laptop?"  To date, I have only heard "Windows tablet" mentioned, and I don't know how strictly that applies.  I'd generally expect that if it's running on a touch-enabled version of Windows, I could substitute a mouse interface if I don't have a touchscreen, but the continuing use of the phrase "Windows tablet" doesn't give me the warm fuzzy that I'll really be able to use it on my desktop/laptop.

Just looking for that warm fuzzy that I don't have to go buy new hardware to use the sim.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 4:44pm

Avidyne is pleased to announce that a PC-based version of the IFD540 Free Play simulator is now available for free download from the Avidyne website.

The IFD540 simulator includes a full US database of airports and charts, allowing pilots to get familiar with the user interface and operation of the IFD540. 

Users will be able to perform most product functions including flight planning, mapping, configuration, and frequency management, by controlling the unit via mouse, keyboard and/or touchscreen monitor if available.  Control keys allow you to speed up or slow down the simulation rate.

Download the IFD540 Freeplay simulator for FREE at:

http://www.avidyne.com/products/ifd540/demo-sim-signup.asp

Avidyne will have free Demo Discs (DVD) available in our booth at Sun n Fun next week. 
(Booth C71/72)

An iPad version of the IFD540 simulator will be available for purchase from the App Store within the next several months.

IFD540 Free Play Simulator
now available for download!

Minimum PC Requirements

·     Dual core CPU, 2GB RAM and 2GB of free disk space

·     Most modern NVIDIAÆ or ATIÆ video cards

·     Resolution at least 1280x1024 set to highest (32bit) color

·     Windows XP, Vista, 7, or 8

Please review Read Me file in the download for additional information.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 5:25pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Delighted to see a Windows version.

* Orest

P.S. Thank you.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 7:26pm
"next several months"?  Ouch.  I hope that's a conservative estimate, for those of us who aren't Windows users.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 7:59pm
For the folks who want to download the windows version, it's all yours.  Please note however, we'll post a revised/updated/improved version in the next week.  It's a 2GB download so if you're not dying to have it immediately, I might consider waiting.

Improvements in the next week include:

.. aurals working
.. current databases
.. dual IFD capable
.. weather datalink tied to live internet weather
.. a few other minor, and maybe not even noticeable, tweaks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:28pm
Hi Steve,

I filled out the form on the web site, and it says I should receive an email with download instructions.  So far, I have not received that email.  Is it supposed to be immediate or does somebody have to process it?

Thanks,
-Mike
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:29pm
Good question, I'm not sure.  It's a Sales Op but let me check with then and respond here as soon as I hear back.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by MikeK MikeK wrote:

Hi Steve,

I filled out the form on the web site, and it says I should receive an email with download instructions.  So far, I have not received that email.  Is it supposed to be immediate or does somebody have to process it?

Thanks,
-Mike

I received my email immediately.
There must be many attempting to download though as the 2.1gb of data is on track for a 6 hour download time on my DSL.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2014 at 10:14pm
Slow, slow. Looks like a popular download.

* Orest

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 5:57am
I started downloading yesterday.  Still has about .5gb of 2.1gb total file size left to download.
Extremely slow.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 7:03am
Rats.  My download died overnight.  Have to start over...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:28am
Me too, "unknown network error". Starting over.

I have a max download of 3000 KB/s. The download connection here is 40 KB/s or less, very slow indeed. You might need a mirror or two Steve.

Oh well.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 26 Mar 2014 at 8:35am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 8:41am
The guys are aware and working it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:16am
Although slow, it did download overnight for me. I was able to install and run it this morning.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 1:16pm
I did get the email, thanks Steve.  It just took a little time.

My download is still running, but on my 50Mbit business class cable service, it's currently estimating almost 21 hours remaining.  Pretty sure the delay is not on my end.  I'm going to bail on the download for now and await the next version.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 2:43pm
Mirror server has been added.  Reported download times are now ranging from 7 min to 20 min.

We think we're a day or two away from posting the revised version per my definition above.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 3:27pm
Ah, much better, download is ripping along now.

* Orest

FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:08pm
Took me about 2 hours to download on DSL but got it this time.

Initial lack of familiarity with software as to be expected but already have found some very nice features.  I like it.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:14pm
Is there any way to change the altitude of the simulated aircraft?

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2014 at 9:32pm
I get an error message that says "upgrade the display adapter" when I try to run it.....  :(
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2014 at 7:23pm
If you can try installing on a different machine if you have access to one. Would not run on a Windows Vista machine I have but did on a Windows 7 machine. Definitely going to take a little adjustment time but good to turn some knobs. With Orest, need a clue on altitude adjustment...

GDC25
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 10:51am
Orest you can change the altitude the aircraft if flying by inputting a crossing altitude x miles before a waypoint in the expanded flight plan screen. Sure there is a better way but it works...
GDC25
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 2:05pm
Ah, of course. Thanks GDC25.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 8:49am
Yes, GDC25's technique is the means by which to perform altitude changes right now.  One of the enhancements we've got on our to-do list is to try and add Altitude, Airspeed, Heading controls to the emulation.     That will likely be a post-cert effort.  We wanted to get this sim out there for customers but are trying to focus on cert activities.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 8:51am
BTW, last night we posted an updated version of the sim from the same download site.  If' you've already dowloaded the sim and want this new one, you may have to completely delete the old version from your machine before loading this one.

Last nights version is an Americas-only version and includes both a single and dual IFD version along with working live datalink weather.

The rest of the world version should go up next week. 

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 8:39am
Thanks for breaking out the NA version, makes for a much smaller download, at least for us New World folks.

* Orest

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 7:39am
What happened to the mirror site?  The new NA-only option is a much smaller download, but it's predicting ~1-2 hr to complete.  Last week I downloaded the full package via the mirror in ~15 min.

Edited by MysticCobra - 31 Mar 2014 at 7:41am
AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 11:48pm
With the new NA-only version (and perhaps other changes) I was finally able to download the sim. It seems altitude restrictions cannot be entered into routes, only in active plans.  Is this by design, or a bug?

AzAv8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AzAv8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2014 at 12:54am
Since my Win7 PC "belongs" to my wife (well, in HER home office - my side-job is domestic IT.  btw: it's her airplane also, so be nice to her.), I tried to install it on one of my Linux boxes with Wine:  Ubuntu 13.10, moderately-ludicrous platform horsepower, and whatever the current supported Wine version is on 13.10.

Almost there...  It runs showing the aux displays and the *bezel*, but no application window (map) within the bezel (beyond "Avidyne", which displayed for 15 minutes or so before I sent it bye-bye.)  The application is clearly responding, because the mouse-icon changes appropriately over knobs/buttons on the *bezel* window.

Let me be clear: I'm not *expecting* Avidyne to support the simulator on Wine / Linux.  But that is where I live, so there are brownie points attached.  And I have influence on the airplane owner!   ;>

Jon
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 1:54am
Not to sound ungrateful, but in 2014 I would have expected an IPAD simulator.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:14am
I'm sure Avidyne will release a simulator for tablets, android and ios in the coming days. Whatever an individual tends to use, they surely have a PC somewhere, so that may have been the best choice to release first, if indeed there was a choice to make. It simply may have been that that was the first one ready to go.

If you ran the "contest" on sales numbers projected for 2014, PC's are still #1, followed by android, and iOS is third now..

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Apr 2014 at 7:24pm
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 3:10pm
There is an iPad simulator coming (just read farther up in this very thread).  Unfortunately, the date is "around the time of certification", which Steve has said elsewhere is expected in late June.

That shipping schedule is really a bummer me, by the way.  I am doing a full panel refit planned around the 540, and it looks like I will basically have to buy a 530 and fly it for two months, then sell it again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2014 at 7:59pm
You're not the only one who's holding a place in the panel and waiting for the hardware to arrive.  If you don't absolutely need the GPS for those 2 months, why not just buy the 530 tray and go ahead with the panel reconfig, then put a plastic closeout over the hole?  When the IFD540 shows up, slide it in and go.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 1:39am
Exactly what I did on all my planes. Have a 650 as #2 and transponder control head for 2 remote TXP.
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 3:01am
That's a possibility, I guess.  We could test the TAS/XM/Aspen integration with a borrowed 530 and then rely on the SL30 for comm for awhile.

But the airplane needs to get ferried from Texas to California, and once it's here in the Bay Area, the GPS and moving map are awfully nice to have for navigating the airspace.  Sigh.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:41am

Good Morning,

My answer was to install the 530 install kit then place a Garmin 496 mounted in a "Gizmo" within the 530 box. Had to shave a few thousandth of plastic off the "Gizmo" to get it to fit, but that has worked fine for the last year. I did retain my Trusty Trimble 2000 Approach Plus (Fantastic Radio!) so I still have excellent basic navigation capability even though I am down to just one GPS and a basic KX155. I did retain a KY-196 as back up com until the 540 gets here, though the 155 has been its usual great self!

Happy Skies,

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2014 at 11:46am

I guess I have two GPS's if you count the 496, What I like most about it is the Weather and Winds!

We aviators ARE getting very spoiled!

Old Bob

Old Bob, Ancient Aviator
MikeK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2014 at 7:21pm
Good point!  A handheld would be fine for situational awareness in the short term.  Heck, I could use the iPad and a Stratus or Bad Elf for that.  Hmmm...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic