Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AXP340/322 ADS-B Transponder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AXP340 Mode S Transponder Certified

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AXP340 Mode S Transponder Certified
    Posted: 14 Jan 2014 at 3:05pm
The AXP340 is certified.  It has TSO and ETSO now.    It is certified as a 1090 ES Mode S Transponder.

We start shipments of it later this month (January 2014).   It's available in Black or Grey bezels.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Jack Seubert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack Seubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:10am
Steve,

Have you started shipping the AXP340's yet?

Jack
Jack Seubert
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2014 at 9:42am
Yes, we have a few installed in aircraft now. Our next wave of shipments are scheduled for on/about Wed, 5 Mar. Our sales crew would love to sell you one.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
phkmn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phkmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2014 at 10:53am
This looks very nice, but without an ADSB receiver, I'm only half way to getting traffic and FIS.

What's in the works for ADSB-in?
PH
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2014 at 11:54am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Yes, we have a few installed in aircraft now. Our next wave of shipments are scheduled for on/about Wed, 5 Mar. Our sales crew would love to sell you one.

I'd love to buy one (and will) but I'm waiting on my IFD 440. There is the carrot let’s get the horse moving. :)

Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 2:03pm
Can you confirm that this is fully ELS compliant for the EU? From the installation manual, it doesn't look as though it is currently EHS compatible though - are there plans for a software update to add this at some point?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:26pm
Awful Charlie (man, I gotta get a new username to compete with that one),

I'll have to re-look at that next week.  I dug into ELS vs EHS etc a year or two ago when we started the transponder but I forgot what the differences were so I need to dig up my notes and remind myself and then respond with an update.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Awful Charlie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awful Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 5:20am
Thanks Steve

EHS is only currently required for the larger or faster stuff, but in the ever creeping EU legislation, it's far from inconceivable that it will migrate it's way down to a lower bracket, and I have a suspicion that I might get caught in the next tranche if/when it happens. It would be a shame to have to rip and replace a transponder in a few years time if there was no upgrade path

Ben (user name from from my first aircraft reg - AWFC!)
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 3:48pm
Okay, I'm really confused.

AviJake mentioned in January 2014, that no STC was required for the AXP340 installation.  Okay, I think that applies to just installing it in the airplane.  My understanding is that for ADS-B OUT compliance, any and all installations must be done via STC.  Am I wrong??

In April Avidyne announce that they were working with Trego-Dugan to develop an STC with AML for the AXP340 with the Freeflight 1201 GPS as a position source for ADS-B OUT.  I cannot find that STC on the FAA website yet.  Will this upcoming STC include the Avidyne equipment as approved position sources?  What about Garmin, etc.  The installation manual shows the the AXP340 is "compatible" with Garmin (among others), but it also has a statement in RED that says, "Specific GPS source and antenna, and transponder combination must be FAA approved as a system to 
utilize ADS-B Out functionality."

So, what's the deal??  Can I install the AXP340 with my IFD-540 and be officially compliant today?  Or will I be waiting for a piece of paper (STC) in the near future?  Will the avionics shop refuse to activate the ADS-B OUT until the STC is issued?

Avidyne lists the following "compatible" GPS's in their product description of the AXP340:
Avidyne GPS (including R9)
Garmin GNS430W/530W Series
Garmin GTN650/750 Series
FreeFlight Model 1201/1204
NexNav mini-T

If none of these boxes are on an STC, does that mean that I can't use this transponder for ADS-B OUT?

Can an Avidyne rep please enlighten me?  Please...

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:12pm

Read this AC

I believe you will need an STC to operate it in your aircraft and a flight manual supplement that states "The installed ADS-B Out system has been shown to meet the equipment requirements of 14 CFR § 91.227."

Edited by tony - 09 Sep 2014 at 7:13pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 10:19am
Watch this for enlightenment.....

Technically, we're all correct.

If that didn't do the trick, let me try this:

Any Mode S Transponder does not need a STC to be installed.   The AXP340 is a Mode S, ADS-B capable transponder.   To take advantage of the ADS-B functionality of the AXP340, a STC is required to operate it.

As for active STC programs, there are two.  

The first one is the Avidyne STC effort which is currently underway and when complete, will allow for the fully ADS-B Out compliant installation of either the IFD540-AXP340 combo or the R9-AXP340 combo.  In those cases, the IFD540/R9 system are ADS-B compliant GPS position sources and the "system" officially meets the FAA requirement for ADS-B Out compliance and will be a fully legal installation combination.  We expect that STC to be complete this fall but customers should plan for a winter availability.  One very important part of this STC is that we will provide a means for an installer to add other navigators to the approved list.

The second active STC program is a Trego-Dugan run effort to STC the Freeflight 1201-AXP340 combination as well.   I don't know the status of that one and any estimated complete dates by Trego-Dugan.  Avidyne's role in that effort was to supply a AXP340 and T-D is doing all the rest of the work.

As a sidenote, we've been flying the Avidyne aircraft (and some of the pilot program aircraft) with the combined IFD540 and AXP340 and the FAA evaluation program has declared those to be ADS-B performance compliant.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 2:17pm
I assume then that those who are buying the MFD/TXP combo NOW (me, for example) will receive the STC use as a part of our purchase?
David Gates
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 2:19pm
And at the same time, if it is compliant, I would assume the STC is the piece needed for 2020 compliance, but using that functionality NOW in 2014 should not give the avionics shop heartburn?
David Gates
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 7:33pm
Now THAT is the question:

In other words, "Can the ADS-B OUT functionality legally be connected and turned on without the STC in hand?"

Edited by pburger - 11 Sep 2014 at 7:34pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:07pm
Impossible to speak with authority for the various individual avionics shops but yes, the ADS-B functionality can be legally connected and turned on without the STC BUT, it does not count for 2020 compliance until the STC is approved.   These are subtle but significant distinctions.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:14pm
At this time, this whole discussion is pretty moot.  I've asked 4 controllers about my ADS-B out and have received responses ranging from "we don't have the equipment to tell" to "can you tell me how I would know?".  My favorite was "ADS-whaaat?).  And this is in NY and Boston airspace which I doubt is lacking any significant funding.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:17pm
Practically speaking, GRing is absolutely correct.

We get that many folks want to comply well in advance of the mandate but the reality is that it is awful early in the "I get some practical advantage from this stuff" stage.   (And we're quite interested in selling a lot of ADS-B compliant devices!)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 6:34am
Let me clarify my statement a bit because I'm not saying that ADS-B is not important or that you should defer buying a solution. It is quite the opposite, I don't think you want to be the guy who wakes up November 1st 2019 and realizes he needs to install $$$ of equipment in order to continue to fly is airplane in ADS-B required airspace. That guy is going to have to get in line with all the other guys who are late to the game. While there are a number of people/shops that can install avionics, there are only a limited number of good qualified shops that can do the job right with a reliable wiring installation and guess what? They are already backed up months in advance - today.

I believe that ADS-B does bring benefit today with the ability to take advantage of TIS-B and FIS-B which is why many are concerned with having a proper ADS-B out installation, and it is for that reason that we need to ensure the product selection works properly. in my opinion, Avidyne has demonstrated the capability to deliver the out strategy in this complex environment with an open roadmap to work with other manufacturers in the industry. I think this is more key than anything. I can tell you that both Tony and my 540/340 installs passed the FAA performance tests by a wide margin whereas a number of others with competing solutions are having challenges meeting the minimum performance standards.

So what I'm saying is that everyone is challenged with this mandate and will require time to work out the details. Buy it - install it - turn it on and as long as it meets the FAA performance standards - fly on. Everything else will work itself out.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 8:26am
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Practically speaking, GRing is absolutely correct.

We get that many folks want to comply well in advance of the mandate but the reality is that it is awful early in the "I get some practical advantage from this stuff" stage.   (And we're quite interested in selling a lot of ADS-B compliant devices!)

It's not that early anymore.  Plenty of folks are flying with "portable" ADSB solutions, which provide 100% of the practical benefit of the ADSB weather products for pilots.  Traffic info, due to the dependency on ADSB-out, is more hit-and-miss right now and could still be considered "early", but is certainly not non-existent.

Whether or not ATC is getting benefit from ADSB yet is mostly transparent to me.  Pilots mostly care about "what can ADSB do for me in the cockpit".  With weather services fully implemented across the US, there are already obvious practical benefits to incorporating ADSB compliance, and there are GA pilots--like me--who would be willing to step up to panel-mounted solutions if there were some slam-dunk solutions available.

Unfortunately, the AXP340's 1090ES is not the right solution for me as a single-engine piston bugsmasher.  I would prefer to have a UAT solution for ADSB-out, for the benefit of making myself visible air-to-air with other UAT users.  It also doesn't solve the ADSB-in part of the system.   

So far, a system like the FreeFlight RANGR discussed in the other thread looks like a better solution for me.

Edited by MysticCobra - 12 Sep 2014 at 8:36am
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 3:16pm
This may not be the best place to post this, but I'd thought I'd pass along something that may be of use to others:

To check your ADS-B functionality you can e-mail you N-number to the FAA Compliance Monitor.

My friend recently used the FAA Compliance Monitor to verify the ADS-B installation in his Mooney.  The initial report found some problems, but after he corrected them, his latest report was clean.  

Here is a good article from the FAA:

Here is an excerpt that refers to the FAA Compliance Monitor:

"Those who are already equipped may request verification of their system performance and configuration through the FAA Compliance Monitor. Just send an email with your aircraft’s tail number to: 9-AWA-AFS-300-ADSB-AvionicsCheck@faa.gov. The results will either confirm a good installation or provide information on how to correct an improper installation."
jblodgett View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jblodgett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by ddgates ddgates wrote:

I assume then that those who are buying the MFD/TXP combo NOW (me, for example) will receive the STC use as a part of our purchase?

Please respond to this question.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:33pm
Are you asking if you have an IFD540 and an AXP340 today, will you have access to the STC for the ASD-B functionality when it comes out?

If so, yes and that will be no-charge.

If not, please clarify the question.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2014 at 12:48pm
That was my question, and I am satisfied with the answer.

Thank you.
David Gates
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 11:58am
I saw the new transponder at AOPA Chino Fly In yesterday.

The bezel lighting was extremely bright, as was the display lighting.

We figured out how to adjust the display itself, but the rep didn't know how to adjust the bezel lighting.

Can it be done?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:02pm
Here's a snippet from the Installation Manual:

6.1.16 Lighting Control
The AXP340 has an integrated ambient light sensor in addition to an external input connection from the aircraft lighting bus (if available). This configuration setting selects the way in which the integrated light sensor and the lighting bus input control the brightness of the LCD and the bezel. Selected Method Description of lighting control
Normal mode
The display brightness/backlighting is controlled from the ambient light sensor and the bezel is controlled by the lighting bus.
Bus Only
The lighting bus is used to control the bezel and the display brightness/backlighting.
Sensor Only
The ambient light sensor is used to control the bezel and the display brightness/backlighting.

6.1.17 LCD Dim Point
Depending on the amount of light spill in the cockpit, and the brightness of other adjacent avionics displays, it may be necessary to adjust the darkest setting of the backlight to best match other equipment and to improve the cockpit appearance.
Note – it is only practical to do this in pitch darkness, since that is the in-flight environment that you are trying to reproduce. If you are working in a hangar with any other lighting it may be better to leave the setting in the mid-range.

6.1.18 LCD Brightness
The actual maximum brightness of the LCD cannot be increased with this control. What it controls is the rate at which the lighting increases in brightness as detected by the ambient light sensor. This allows the brightness to be matched to other avionics displays during light level changes as far as possible.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:18pm
Thanks Jake. That sounds fine.

I trust you've done some night flight testing with the 540 and the transponder and found the lighting to be satisfactory?

I realize "not too bright and not too dim" is subjective, but if you've done much night flying you know what I mean.

Regards, Jim
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:19pm
I'll follow on this thread by saying that the entire stack of avionics has great lighting flexibility and I was able to get all units to have uniform lighting on the bezels.
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 1:27pm
Gring,

Sounds good. Thanks. Did you post a review with pics over on BT?
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 2:00pm
I started a discussion about my experiences with the precertified boxes on BeechTalk. You can read it here.

BT Avidyne thread

Edited by Gring - 21 Sep 2014 at 2:01pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 3:01pm
That is quite the thread, I read it before, caught up on it today.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic