Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Entegra Release 9 > Release 9 Insiders - Anyone can post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

R9 dual GPS failure in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snscaimito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: R9 dual GPS failure in Europe
    Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:19am
Earlier this year I've been flying several times with an R9 equipped aircraft in Germany. During my flights I encountered at least 3 times a dual GPS failure that made me reboot the system.

Elsewhere I learned that this might happen because R9 sees too many GPS satellites at the same time and cannot handle that.

As I'm in the process of potentially buying an R9 equipped aircraft for use in Europe I would like to know more about this phenomenon and if there is a fix.
peitgen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peitgen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 5:32am
We have this problem for more than a year in our SR22. Sometimes just one GPS fails, sometimes both. Sometimes no failure for an entire flight, sometimes multiple failures, 4-5-6 times, during a single flight. I am at a point where I feel very unsafe while on an instrument flight plan. It is hard to accept that this problem is still unsolved. Billions of smart phones work around the world but R9 does not.
HOP
SR22 & R9
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 2:53pm
We are creating a Release 9.3.2 to address this. I'll make another post shortly on estimated availability dates.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 6:25am

Yesterday the release 10.0.3.0 for the IFD540 has been certified and this release is about correcting the famous GPS problem (due to Egnos). Is it the same software for R9? When can we expect to have this correction on our R9 ?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 7:56am
No, that's a completely different issue.  

9.3.2 will address the European GPS drop out in R9.  That release should be available this coming summer.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:43am
Thank you for the information
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:12pm
Any news on the release as summer has come?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 5:25pm
(Rel 9.3.2 Status Update - 24 June 2015)

We are in the final stages of completing Rel 9.3.2.  We ended up having to roll the AD fix into that release too.

So, R9.3.2 contains the dual GPS dropout fix for the EGNOS folks, 8.33 kHz fix, and AD fix.

This should be in the FAA's hands by end of July which *should* mean an August cert.     "Happily" the AD fix part of that should help expedite FAA approval as it did with IFD540 and 440 end game.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2015 at 1:01pm
Already August, any news on the cert of rel 9.3.2?

Edited by Paolo - 05 Aug 2015 at 6:29pm
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 9:51am
September, any news or progress on release 9.3.2 ?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 12:47pm
It's trending to an early to mid week next week (15 Sep +/- 1 day) approval and release.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2015 at 9:08am
(Rel 9.3.2 Status Update - 29 Sep 2015)

We hit a snag last month with the level of delegation permitted so this release was delayed but it appears to be back on track.  At this point, we're estimating a release in the 2nd or 3rd week of October.

R9.3.2 contains the dual GPS dropout fix for the EGNOS folks, 8.33 kHz fix, and AD fix.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
snscaimito View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snscaimito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 3:42am
Will there be documentation available somewhere about what caused the problem with EGNOS?

All these satellites orbit the earth and I wonder why the problem occurs in Europe and has not occurred in the US.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2015 at 10:55am
In R9 (as opposed to IFD440/540 where the GPS receiver is our own design) we use a 3rd party GPS receiver.   Prior to R9.3.2, we were shipping a version of GPS receiver code that pre-dated the date the EGNOS constellation went live.   R9.3.2 uses a newer version of the 3rd party GPS receiver code that fixes the issue.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 9:30pm
(Rel 9.3.2 Status Update - 20 Oct 2015)

We just got TSO for 9.3.2 a few days ago BUT......as we were performing company flight test as part of the STC side yesterday we found a nasty little behavior that was highly undesirable and needs fixing.    The issue happened while performing a Direct-To to the FAF which resulted in a discrepancy between the magenta line on the map and the deviation bar on the CDI.  The fix was created today and regression testing has begun.

We consulted with the FAA today and they would like us to spin a Release 9.3.3 minor that addresses this issue.  So, we're doing that now and we will not release 9.3.2 to the field.  It's not clear if we'll have TSO/STC in a week or if it will be another two weeks.  That confusion should clear up in a day or three.  If it does, I'll make an updated post here.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snscaimito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 5:31pm
Where does the GPS receiver code live?

Is it on the GPS blade or is it part of the big R9 software that provides all the other functionality?

I would assume it's on the GPS blade.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snscaimito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:20pm
May I add that for us Europeans it would really, really be helpful to get that 9.3.2 release NOW.

It is a major safety hazard to loose all navigational capability without any prior warning when in IMC and probably in a busy terminal environment.

While that Direct-to FAF might be important it cannot really be important when comparing to loosing it all.

You should reconsider.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 10:28am
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Paolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2015 at 11:44am
Fantastic!!! Finally that's a great news. Well done

Edited by Paolo - 02 Dec 2015 at 4:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic