Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feature request: special waypoints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feature request: special waypoints
    Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 3:05pm
Yes, you can use the "create user waypoint" dialog to first create all of the below format waypoints, before using them, but when entering a flightplan it would be much faster if you didn't have to sidetrack to that function. Why not just allow them to be entered directly in a special format.

Fairly typical in an FMS is the below approach:

Crossing radials:
JFK190/CYN100

rad/dist:
JFK190/25

5nm before a waypoint (eg. HOPCE) already in the flightplan:
HOPCE/-5

lat/long, N 47.0, W 080.0
N470W0800

Lat/long in flightplans is becoming more common, especially out west. Being able to enter them directly on the fly, would be much more efficient. Really, the same with all the above.

Using the above construct, you also wouldn't litter the user waypoint list with obscure waypoints.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Oct 2014 at 3:06pm
FORANE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FORANE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 7:19pm
Agree with Orest.   This would be preferable.  The GTN series allows for marking the user waypoint created as "temporary" but one must still first create the waypoint.  Being able to just enter this sort of clearance on the fly would put Avidyne a step above in terms of user friendliness.
Lancair 235/320
RV-9A
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 6:34pm
We'll look at it.  No promises but I'll take a look at the feasibility.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 5:37pm
The Hopce/-5 is a great feature for telling ATC you can hold short of some weather. Making the waypoint on the airway at any distance is one thing I miss already. 

Khuffine
khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 5:39pm
I am putting in a used GMX 200 and understand the 440 should put the position on the big map. Since I have such a small screen I thought it would be good to see the weather on the gmx200 for my old eyeballs. Anyone have that combination?
Khuffine
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:20pm
Is there a topic or other place where we can see the feature request list and support/vote on which ones are most important to us?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 6:22pm
I have a gmx-200 with my 540. Just installed 540. Had gmx-200 paired with my Apollo cnx80 and loved it. I plan a test flight tomorrow wx permitting. Anxious to see how it works.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by PeterC PeterC wrote:

Is there a topic or other place where we can see the feature request list and support/vote on which ones are most important to us?

Not a general one. All of my own requests have been titled with:

Feature Request: xyz

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2017 at 9:49am
Just thought I'd bump this one again. It would be really handy.

* Orest

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2022 at 8:36pm
Time for another bump!

Been eight years now.

* Orest
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 9:13am
This feature would be a piece of cake if the Avidyne FMS used a scratchpad for waypoint entry.   Fitting such an entry method into the existing UI is the difficulty.  I'm sure it can be done, but would take some time to come up with an elegant solution.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 1:15pm
I'll leave it with you, keep it on the list.

As the entry field is not free form (as you say), perhaps at least some of the waypoint types could be accommodated with a popup dialog.

* Orest
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic