Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Avidyne v. Garmin Data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avidyne v. Garmin Data
    Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:13pm

Friends:  In a discussion about the best touch-screen navigators on the Cessna Pilots Association online forums, I lamented that Garmin won't allow my Avidyne IFD540 (or indeed any non-Garmin box) to provide an approved position source for my GTX-330ES transponder.  I concluded as follows:

“In a perfect world, boxes from different companies would accept each other's data streams freely. But that's not the world we live in; Garmin radios are happy to output data to other avionics, but they won't accept data from others. On the other hand, I believe that Avidyne avionics will freely accept data from other companies boxes.”

One of the other guys on the CPA Forum responded thus:

“I believe that Avidyne wants you to believe they are more open, but it doesn't appear to be that way. As an example, they claim to use the Capstone ADS-B protocol so that they'll be open to other devices, but they have yet to claim they are compatible with any other brand, even those that support the capstone protocol. They also haven't stated that they'll allow their IFD540 to be used as an approved GPS source for another brand's ADS-B box. They have their transponder and their recently announced MLB-100 that they want to fill the ADS-B role so conveniently they haven't claimed to be compatible with anybody else.

For what it's worth, I'm an IFD540 pre-purchaser so I really wish they were more open. It just seems like they want to sound like they are more open, but in the end they are going to play the game the same as Garmin.”

Is there any truth to these allegations?  If not, I’d appreciate your help providing an informed rebuttal.

Thanks, Mike

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Edited by GMSutton - 11 Nov 2014 at 11:15pm
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2014 at 11:34pm
Avidyne has tested the following transponders as "proven" (per IFD540 installation manual):

Transponder

Garmin

GTX330

Garmin

GTX330 ES

Garmin

GTX 330D ES

Garmin

GTX 327

Trig

TT31

Avidyne

AXP340

Gary-T
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2014 at 7:37am
Well the CPA Forum response seems a little overstated.  A few facts/examples:

1.  Avidyne does not encode any of our outputs in proprietary formats that others can not use.   We can't control other device certifications - in other words, since we don't own other vendor STCs, we are not authorized to change their STCs.  But data outputs from the IFD540 are open, published, and available for anyone to use.

2.  Where we can, Avidyne does provide certification and installation means to accept multiple data supply sources.   As a real-world example that is going on as I type this, Avidyne is currently finishing a STC for the AXP340 Mode-S ADS-B Transponder that takes Avidyne R9, Avidyne IFD540 and Garmin GNS430W/530W GPS position as an ADS-B compliant position source and we are publishing a means for installers to add other GPS position source devices to the list on their own.

As Gary-T notes above in his snippet, the IFD540 currently accepts input from 194 other devices and counting.   This of course comes at enormous cost and complexity and becomes an exercise of combinatorics.

With the cited Capstone Protocol example, the dirty little secret is that there are multiple versions of "Capstone Protocol" being used by 3rd party devices.   As we dove into it, it seems that suppliers all have some individual and unique interpretation of the Capstone Protocol so we are drawing a line in the sand for the initial release and attempting to use the most commonly used definition in the public domain.   We are hopeful that can grow to be even more inclusive in the not-to-distant future but we'll see.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic