Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 Software Release 10.0.2.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD540 Software Release 10.0.2.0
    Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 4:08pm
Progress Update on Software Release 10.0.2.0  (14 Nov 2014).

We have submitted all of our TSO and STC package updates to the FAA as of today.   They have given us reason to believe it will be a 1-2 business day turn-around for approval.

Once a new set of TSO and STC has been signed off, we'll make the release immediately available for download by installers.  The update content and process will be 100% covered under warranty.

This release will address SILs:

606-00182-002 429 Traffic Resets
606-00182-003 Freq List Resets
606-00182-004 GPS Position Fix Loss
606-00182-005 MapMx Integration Issues
606-00182-006 G500/600 Integration Issues
606-00182-007 Fuel Totalizer Issues

(For reference, SILs can be accessed at:  http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp)
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 5:27pm
Steve,
I had thought that software updates could be done in the field via the USB port and the thumbdrive.  It sounds like you are saying the software updates have to be done by a dealer?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 9:25am
Yes, both are true.

We are not aware of any mechanism that permits this type of operation to be a typical owner-conducted one.   The person conducting the upgrade must have legal signoff authority which is almost always a dealer.

The updates can be done in the field via a thumb drive on the front panel USB drive.  That just means the boxes don't have to come back to the Avidyne factory for service or be removed from the airplane for any reason.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:08pm
What if the installation is in an experimental aircraft?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:12pm
I'll check but pretty sure the Experimental owner has the legal authority to do the software upgrade themselves (since they have log book signoff authority).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:36pm
So, do you have a process in place to provide the data to exp-owners directly?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 12:44pm
Yes, the same Service Bulletin (already written) applies.   It will be supplied with the entire package.  It includes explicit instructions on how to download the software and do the load process and sign off.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 3:04pm
Can the signoff be done by any A&P or does it have to be by an Avidyne dealer?  Just wondering if a local A&P can download the software via the SB and install it.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 10:05pm
Steve:
Read the SILs that the new software revision is supposed to fix, but am confused.

After my install, every thing the IFDs boot, they go direct to the fuel screen,which is refernced in the SIL. No data is displayed.

Thought it ws related to the SIL issue, but the SIL says the SIL doesn't cover this scenario.

Checked the configuration:

RS232 channel 2 is configured as Shadin-fuel and Aviation.
The JPI 700 GPS-C is set to "1' which is Garmin/Shadin MiniFlow

Will the SIL update correct this, or not? Are there other configuration parameters?

Thanks
David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:29am

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Can the signoff be done by any A&P or does it have to be by an Avidyne dealer?  Just wondering if a local A&P can download the software via the SB and install it.

I'd really like to know the answer to this question. 

Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 3:30pm
I asked my Avidyne dealer (after my install) if I could install the software updates or they had to install
the updates.  They must perform the updates & check entire system performance.  This software update will be covered at no charge (addresses Avidyne issues).
Gary-T
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 6:16am

With all due respect Gary, your response has nothing to do with the question being asked. 

How about it Steve, will Avidyne allow my A&P sign off a software update in my log book or are we going to be held hostage by the dealer?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 8:37am
The Avidyne position is that any shop that holds a repair station certificate, an A&P, or an Experimental Aircraft owner with log book signoff authority can perform the update.  They will of course, have to follow the provided Service Bulletin explicitly and mail/fax/email back in the completed update sheet that is part of the Service Bulletin but we don't restrict this to just Avidyne dealers.

Edited by AviJake - 17 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:33pm
And for the folks still asking about Experimentals and sign off authority there, my understanding is that, at least for N-reg, it is covered under 14CFR65.104  which states that if the owner has obtained the limited repairman certificate for that specific aircraft serial number (which would require that they are the primary builder of record AND their name listed as the 'manufacturer') and some other conditions, then they have sign off authority on that aircraft.

So 'second-hand' experimentals are NO by definition, unless you can find the original builder and he happens to have the repairmen license - if not, an A&P would be required just like certified.

:
The actual CFR snippet is:

§65.104   Repairman certificate—experimental aircraft builder—Eligibility, privileges and limitations.

(a) To be eligible for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder), an individual must—

(1) Be at least 18 years of age;

(2) Be the primary builder of the aircraft to which the privileges of the certificate are applicable;

(3) Show to the satisfaction of the Administrator that the individual has the requisite skill to determine whether the aircraft is in a condition for safe operations; and

(4) Be a citizen of the United States or an individual citizen of a foreign country who has lawfully been admitted for permanent residence in the United States.

(b) The holder of a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) may perform condition inspections on the aircraft constructed by the holder in accordance with the operating limitations of that aircraft.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
Where would the SB and download be available for our A&Ps to access?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 7:53am
Progress Update on Software Release 10.0.2.0  (18 Nov 2014)

We're still on "baby watch" waiting for the FAA approval.  It hasn't come yet but could come at any time.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 2:59pm
Progress Update on Software Release 10.0.2.0 (3pm Eastern, 18 Nov 2014)

FAA has just supplied a revised date for sign off to now be Monday, 24 November.   I guess "baby watch" just transitioned to "induced labor".
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 3:37pm
Yay!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Nov 2014 at 3:38pm
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 6:29pm
My 540 was delivered today.  Looks like I already need an update!  
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 4:23pm
And does this firmware take care of the problem I have been having with loss of GPS integrity while flying?
I am concerned seriously about safety while flying behind a 540, given my experience so far. I also lost my xponder( an AXP 340) a few minutes after I lost the gps. It went to GND mode and the controller could not see me .
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 4:28pm
Well, that's a bit concerning about the position.

But, you can always FORCE the transponder to ALT mode, with the buttons.

* Orest

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 4:41pm
Didn't work. I pressed every button there was to press, kept on cycling from on to standby to ground.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 4:59pm
Yes, Rel 10.0.2.0 will directly address your loss of GPS integrity.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
wsh View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 1:14am
Being in europe I am more interested in 10.0.3

When can we expect that .. Or better said .. When can we expect a solution for the Egnos problem?
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 10:14am
Steve,

Any comment on sikhpilotmd's AXP340 not working during the loss of GPS events?  Is this a bug in the AXP?  An install issue?  A user technique issue?  I just (literally just before opening Avidyne Live for my morning visit) confirmed my order with my shop to put in an AXP340 when my IFD goes in in March.  I would like to know it is going to work even if the IFD rolls over and dies (or has a loss of GPS event).

David
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 11:25am
Rel 10.0.3.0 is expected in late December.   This will solve the EGNOS problem.

I have no idea why the transponder behaved that way.  We're investigating now but when we shut down the IFD540 or take away GPS output, the transponder soldiers on just fine, albeit without ADS-B out capability.

It sounds like he had some kind of strange air/ground transition issue and that's what we're looking into.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 12:42pm
I wonder if sikhp cycled power on his transponder?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 2:50pm
Avidyne Tech Support has contacted sikhpilotmd and learned that the transponder transition to ground and inability to toggle back to air happened only once in late Oct and hasn't seen it since despite additional episodes of GPS fix loss.

They also believe it was due to a faulty mechanical squat switch and had nothing to do with IFD or AXP hardware or software.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2014 at 2:53pm
Thanks Steve!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:24pm
It did happen only once. Since then, I have been jumping on the IFD as soon as it looses gps positioning. I power cycle it or pull the breaker.
On the AXP, I did indeed power cycle it. I was with a BPPP CFII, who tried to trouble shoot as well.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:26am
The FAA has just granted STC (and TSO) approval for Rel 10.0.2.0.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:04am
Excellent.  Where can my A&P download the new release?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Excellent.  Where can my A&P download the new release?

Yeah, I'd like that too.  Otherwise have to go 200 miles just to update.  If I can have my local A&P do the update that would be great.

David Gates
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 2:15pm
I called Avidyne to see where my A&P could download the update and don't have an answer yet (waiting for return phone call) but I was told that the labor to install will only be covered if it is done by a dealer.  If the update is done by any A&P, then labor will not be covered.  Apparently it takes about 90 minutes to install it from the thumbdrive.

Edited by teeth6 - 24 Nov 2014 at 2:15pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:45pm
For reference, I loaded the 10.0.2.0 release on one of my IFDs last week and it took 28 minutes 29 seconds to load two modules that needed to be updated.  It took < 1 minute to complete the verification process, and it took me < 10 minutes to do the manual compare of the software module part number and checksum against the table in the 8 page installation manual.  In all, it was less than 1 hour I spent at the Hangar including plugging in the APU and reading the instructions and checking the steps.  YMMV
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 5:51pm
Geoffrey

Thank you.  An Avidyne rep had told me to expect about 90 min to install but your experience is even better.  At the end of the 8 pages, there is a system checkout to perform "as described in the installation manual."  This seems to involve testing VHF comm in 1 MHz increments by transmitting 35 sec each, antenna checkout, VOR/LOC checkout, etc.  Are these all necessary or is this meant for initial installation only?    BTW, for others, the 8 page installation manual can be received via email from Avidyne by calling tech support.  The actual download is available at: http://dealers.avidyne.com/

Edited by teeth6 - 24 Nov 2014 at 6:13pm
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 8:11pm
so when the need arises, my A&P has to call Avidyne tech support for each update?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 10:49pm
Tony:

No, it is on the web, at the dealer site, but it doesn't require a dealer login.

We downloaded today for our A&P.
David Gates
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 12:23pm
One hour on the new version.no problems noted.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 2:27pm
No problems last 3 legs. At shop now getting the software update and terrain aurals connected to audio panel.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 3:37pm
Software update went well. Didnt lose any of my settings. Shop also finally connected up my terrain aurals. Pretty cool. Tested it out on the way home. It functions similar to the EGPWS on an airliner.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
To me that's so annoying that they didn't do that the first time.  Is it so hard for the installer to follow the installation manual?  Maybe my expectations are too high for these chops.  Wonder what else they didn't run for you to utilize the full functionality of your 540.   That's why you need to be actively involved in the design and installation of your system.    Did they run the extra wires to the audio panel to receive the standy freqs when the software update comes out?  Did they run fuel flow over to your IFD? 
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 7:40am
I think the installation manual has a certain lack of clarity to the uninitiated; those familiar with the IFD540 and its "extras" know what to expect and what to look for - but those who are unfamiliar won't find all of the nuances, or at least that was my experience. For my installer, this was their first experience with a 540 installation.

Edited by ddgates - 03 Dec 2014 at 7:41am
David Gates
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 7:42pm
Hi David, et. al.-

I saw that the IFD540 10.0.2.0 Load Utility and Configuration Checker can be downloaded from the dealer portion of the website, but I have not been able to find the service bulletin that includes the instructions. Does anyone know where the instruction document is available, or is it necessary to contact Avidyne or our dealer to access the instructions?

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 8:05pm
My authorized dealer had a printout of the instructions.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 8:24pm
Avidyne emailed a copy to me.
ksdoc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksdoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 11:39am
Yea! My updated was completed yesterday in about one hour. No problems to report.
kansasdoc
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 11:53am
Excellent.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 11:54am
BTW, please don't forget to have the person who completed the upgrade fax/email/mail in the completed accomplishment sheet at the back of the service bulletin so our service center crew know how many systems do/do not have the upgrade accomplished.

Thanks!
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic