Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Feature Request: More Tabs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feature Request: More Tabs
    Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 1:21pm
In any case, Happy Turkey to all our US Friends!

While you are chewing on the grub, what about considering the following:

Adding a second sliding DATA# tab would make it very easy to define a new set of data fields for a different phase of flight. 

And, while you're at it, I would really like a FULL SCREEN traffic page. On that page you could add the traffic unit control functions, that are available in the GNS units, and are still missing in the IFD.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 16 Dec 2014 at 11:47pm
fritz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 2:42pm
In spending the the last few days reading the manual and using the iPad sim preparing for my install next week, I think the more data tab idea is a good one.  
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 9:19pm
I think these are great ideas.  It may be nice to be able to be able to name the data tabs in case you want IFR, VFR, APPR, etc.
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 8:56am
I agree that additional (named) data tabs would be an excellent improvement.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
JBAvidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBAvidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 11:26am
Thank you for the suggestion on the Traffic and "Data2" Tab.

We have already addressed the "Data2" to add more data fields by enabling touchscreen scrolling or panning.  The need for more data fields became more evident to Avidyne while working on the IFD440.  While this is not currently available on the IFD540 it should be in Release 10.1. 

While this doesn't directly give you an enroute or approach section, you can set it up to have an enroute section at the top of the scroll and approach at the bottom of the scroll.

Jared Butson (jbutson@avidyne.com)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 5:14pm
That is an interesting enhancement, especially so for the 440.

I might suggest you still keep the full DATA2 block as a possible future addition. Both would then be scrollable, and would surely satisfy anybody's needs.

And the discrete Traffic Page, any chance of adding that in the future, together with the missing (present in GNS) traffic device setup/settings?

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:50am
As Jared notes, we've added the ability to have gobs of datablock options along the right side now for both the IFD440 and IFD540 and you can scroll up/down the list.

I've added the 2nd tab idea to the future feature candidate list.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 11:52am
<bump>

Quote And the discrete Traffic Page, any chance of adding that in the future, together with the missing (present in GNS) traffic device setup/settings?

Any chance?

* Orest

(and yes, welcome back, hope you had a good time off)

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2014 at 11:53am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 12:39pm
Never say never but not much chance of that bubbling up to above the line anytime soon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 1:31pm
Steve - Thanks for the honest response.

Another feature -- a long time ago we discussed adding additional Custom Datablock preset groups, ideally with editable names. (AUX|SETUP|Datablock Presets) We even mused about the presets being triggered by various flight conditions and modes.

Is that puppy on the list somewhere?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2014 at 1:34pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:13pm
Yes, that puppy is on the list.

We didn't quite reach it in Release 10.1 but in 10.1, we have 5 custom user setups.  So an individual owner can create 5 different personal presets based on phase or type of flight and partner owners can have their own, individually labeled set of presets.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 7:27pm
Excellent. That really covers most of the ground. Are they named Custom1 .. 5, or are they nameable?

Also, is the 10.1 feature list frozen yet, or is 10.1 still in active design? Looks like it will have a LOT of cool stuff. 

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2014 at 7:31pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:18pm
They are all individually nameable.

Feature list has been frozen for a while.  We're in cert mode now.   I won't provide a detailed timeframe until I have high certainty.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

They are all individually nameable.

Feature list has been frozen for a while.  We're in cert mode now.   I won't provide a detailed timeframe until I have high certainty.

Ah very good. 
And, I didn't even ask I know you will.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 07 Dec 2014 at 10:15pm
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2014 at 9:40pm
Steve,

Would you explain what determines what airport or waypoint defaults to the "airport/waypoint selection" on the info page of the FMS tab?  I'm trying to determine the easiest way to read metars along my route of flight.  I find touching a colored weather flag on the map page to pullup weather is not that easy to do.  I wonder if some future update can have a metar/taf page, as the EX500 does, that allows you to scroll through waypoints (either closest to location or closest to destination, etc) with each one giving the metar or taf for that selection?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 1:14pm
The INFO tab will persist the last selection across power cycles.  You can manually type a new identifier in or paste it in from other pages via a left-side line select key option.

But, to really answer the main question you had, the easiest way to read METARS along your route of flight is directly from the FPL tab.   A few weeks ago I noticed that I hadn't included that description and picture in the pilot guide and have made an improvement for the Rel 10.1 pilot guide so that was my fault for not providing a clear description of that in the existing guide.

See this picture for an example.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 2:03pm
Steve,

In your example, how would we read the metar for those locations (BOS and MLB).  Would we just touch the flag and the metar would pop up?  I'm just looking for an easy way to read metar along a route of flight.
Also, in future releases, I'd like to suggest that instead of the info tab persisting over power cycles which probably isn't appropriate from one flight to the next, perhaps it could default to the destination field on the present flight?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 3:17pm
I agree that maintaining the INFO material across power cycles may not be the best use.  I'd suggest defaulting to the departing airport prior to takeoff and to either the destination airport or the next airport with an approach loaded in the case of doing multiple approaches.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by brou0040 brou0040 wrote:

I agree that maintaining the INFO material across power cycles may not be the best use.  I'd suggest defaulting to the departing airport prior to takeoff and to either the destination airport or the next airport with an approach loaded in the case of doing multiple approaches.

I agree with that.  In my limited experience so far, it is annoying to see what is essentially "old data" in the INFO block.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 8:33pm
I'm not sure I agree but I definitely made a new entry in our future feature candidate list database that we'll review at the start of each new release.   I usually just have one vote so maybe......
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 8:39pm
To address Teeth6's question about an easy way to see the METAR, I had originally misunderstood the intent of the question.  

I personally use the touch method on the map to generate a map popup info box and tap the box as required until the METAR page shows up.

Other folks who happen to spend more time on the FPL tab, press the INFO tab and will find a "PASTE <currently active leg> button that puts the active leg waypoint  in and then they scroll through the METAR.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 9:45pm
Thanks for that explanation.  Maybe it is just me but I find the touch method on the map to be a little too difficult especially in turbulence.  Often I missh*t a spot and get a bearing/distance message instead of the Wx box.  Perhaps at some point, those flags that you showed on the FPL page can also be touch which would show the metar/taf at that location.  It would be much easier to quickly check weather at various waypoints along a route.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 9:52pm
BTW, I stand corrected on the INFO tab behavior. The actual behavior is:

It does not persist. The first time you go to the info page, it will show the fix from the flight plan corresponding to the cursor position. If there is no flight plan, it will go to the first airport in the database. If you go to the info page right after power up, it will typically show the origin airport.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic