Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540 integration into training simulators?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 9:49am
I guess that answers the question.
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 2:22am
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

There is no data output from the Sim at this time. I will ask our resident sim guru if this is a possibility.

Does the year's silence on this mean that the guru said "no", or was the subject simply forgotten?

Edited by chflyer - 25 Oct 2017 at 2:23am
Vince
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 4:12pm
+1 for X-Plane 11 integration
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 12:01pm
+1

Wow! That would really be cool!
Vince
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2016 at 1:36pm
Simpson,  if the sim has the ARINC 429-out code still in it and they could stuff that out a port, I could grab it and transcode it into the x-plane commands required to drive their FMS data structures.  This would, in theory, drive the x-plane aircraft to follow the LNAV and VNAV outputs.

See: http://www.xsquawkbox.net/xpsdk/mediawiki/Category:XPLMNavigation

I've already written an ARINC 429 to NMEA 0183 converter a while back in c-like code.  It does all the binary-angular conversion math. This could serve as the basis for the project.  All i'd need is to get the output in 32-bit ARINC "words" on a UDP broadcast (so it'll cross from iPad to a PC or mac on the same sub-net). If they keep the rate at LOW it won't cause any issues for a home LAN.  (~52kbytes/sec)

Your ios app sim team would likely want add the port option as an on/off in the app settings.  If they could hack in the output and x-beta me I could try this out and give you better feedback on limitations.

Imagine programming your iPad sim and having x-plane follow all the ARINC commands.  Cool...

Neil
415-408-1127

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2016 at 3:36pm
There is no data output from the Sim at this time. I will ask our resident sim guru if this is a possibility.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2016 at 12:13pm
To make the IFD540 iPad sim drive ForeFlight on the same device is not too hard.  Any app that goes to background, as the IFD sim would do when you make FF active, will lose its socket connections unless it is registered as NSStreamNetworkServiceTypeBackground.

I believe Apple has some restrictions on enabling this for an app.  Otherwise, all the IFD has to do is open a DGRAM socket to the IP of the device on port 4000 and send GDL90 protocol messages and FF will pcik them up.  There's a bit more secret-sauce required to make this work properly but it's not that hard.

EDIT:  I blame my head cold for getting this answer slightly sideways yesterday:
I think you wanted to know how to connect the iPad sim to x-plane.  Since I use x-plane I'd like this too.  If there is any wifi output from the sim I could not see it.  We'd likely need Avidyne to implement some common protocol.  NMEA 0183 would be ok for basic LNAV and x-plane already can read this protocol. Getting coupled approaches to work nicely, or GPSS course leading, might require actual ARINC 429 out that then must be transcoded into something x-plane can understand.

Avidyne can contact me if they want to implement this feature for the sim on iPad (or PC I suppose - much of the logic is the same).  Avi-folks?  Is there any data output from the iPad sim at this time?

Neil

Edited by TogaDriver - 29 Oct 2016 at 11:58am
centerforcekid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote centerforcekid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
I too use the foreflight app with x-plane to replicate my use in our Seneca.
Having the IPAD APP link like foreflight would be AWESOME and add a much better level of realisim.
Pat .
Seneca II
cavu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 1:23pm
Yes, this would be very, very helpful; even more so than the 540 sim itself.
cactus_1549 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cactus_1549 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 4:48pm
Our club recently purchased an IFD540 and I sent a link of this discussion to our Avidyne rep.

Do keep on showing your support and hopefully something will happen soon.
tomd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 3:40pm
+2.  This would be very helpful
Bonanza F33a
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 4:47pm
+1

* Orest

cactus_1549 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cactus_1549 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 8:18am
Foreflight is able to receive the aircraft position from X-Plane or MS Flight Sim X, allowing people to simulate it's use in the aircraft, e.g. on an iPad.  

Avidyne folks, surely this is a simple thing to achieve with a small mod to the Avidyne iPad app?  It would be immensely useful for training purposes.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2015 at 9:13am
Is it safe to assume from the silence on this topic that the answer is "No"?
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:05pm
I was thinking about that this weekend, but for MS flight simulator X.  I have a panel mock up of my airplane and although I can't log it, it really works well to keep the rust off when the weather is CAVU.  I know people can custom build modules for MS flight simulator, but the PC IFD540 sim would need some modifications to allow this to work.  It would need to be re-sizable, take inputs from MS rather from it's internal sim, and provide outputs for things like driving the MS CDI, etc.

I've never made anything for MS flight sim, but I'd give it a try if Avidyne updated their sim to make it compatible.  Something cool, but not anticipating will ever make above the line.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 11:48am
I do a lot of IFR proficiency training with a CFII who has an FAA-approved ATD simulator.  It's an Elite rig, and it includes a software/hardware module for a 430W as part of the avionics stack (see here and here).

This has been a helpful arrangement in ensuring I remain proficient in the "buttonology" of my avionics as well as the other skills required for IFR flying.

Any chance you're working with any simulator companies to get your IFDx40s integrated into their systems?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic