Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic on the ifd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic on the ifd
    Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 6:20am
Yesterday I played a bit more with my dual ifds and I setup my datablocks in the way I wanted.

I was amazed to see that if I choose to display the trafficbox in the left, i lose the ability to also maintain my nav frequencies. I have no idea how i would the set these ? I find this utterly stupid. What is so difficult with putting traffic on the right datablock.

I am also wundering wether it will display the traffic big on the screen if traffic is closeby .. Just as the 530 did.

Last but not least I miss the ability to put the traffic (and the weather) on a big dedicated screen just like the 530 could..

It maybe that this is possible but so far I have not found them.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 6:59am
You toggle between the com and nav frequency lists by pushing on the lower left knob. Com list is default and the nav list will revert to the com list after a given time lapse (20sec?).

The problem is that with 5+ frequencies displayed there is no longer enough room on the left for the traffic box.

I believe that others have also requested to add a dedicated screen for traffic &/or wx.

Vince
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 9:01am
I have my IFDs configured where there is no traffic box.  I get traffic on the main MAP screen along with weather and a lightning sensor.  I haven't had any operational issues with this configuration.  I will note the following observations:

1) At first I found the traffic hard to see on the MAP, but it may have been just an overwhelming presence of information.  Once I simplified the IFD display, the traffic is very clear and I have no issues.  I did submit a request to have a dedicated traffic tab on the MAP view, so you'd have a MAP, CHART, and TRAFFIC tab.  In practice, I no longer see this as a priority I did in the first 10 hours of usage.

2) Without the traffic datablock, I cannot change the mode of the traffic system (unlimited, above, below, normal, etc.) and I'd sometimes like to be able to change it easily while flying.  For instance, in and around NYC, I want to see all traffic because the jets are descending very quickly and if the traffic system is in the normal view, it displays only +- 2500 FT and that isn't enough to show a potential conflict as you cross an approach path of LGA, EWR, JFK.  Operationally, I just leave it in all and haven't had an issue.

At first I thought it was a big issue, but really, it is a small one.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2014 at 5:25pm
Several people have requested a traffic page and I think that's a great idea.  One minor suggestion, make the order TRAFFIC, MAP, CHART so that the chart and traffic are each only one away from the MAP.  This will mean more to those who don't use charts so we don't have to tab twice back and forth with a useless tab in the middle.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 12:34pm
I hope Gring's experience ends up being the same for most.  It's how we designed the system.  The IFD is very FMS-centric, meaning among other things, that traditional tasks like nav tuning are designed to be nearly irrelevant.  We're not so enamored with that idea that we think it's completely irrelevant, just nearly so - we get that there will always be some instances/scenarios where automation can't get it completely right or anticipate every need but for those things that should be less used, we pushed that into the background.  Nav tuning is one example.   That comes back to the FMS-centric concept.  The system was designed around the presumption that most flying will be via a flight plan.  It was really optimized around the single pilot, IFR model.   When that is the case, all nav tuning (VOR tuning, localizer tuning, etc) is automatic.  It will alert you if there is a problem and many/most/all of the monitor tasks that a pilot was  typically responsible for are done for you.

This will take a while for most people to get their head around and trust.  If you can embrace it, great.  If it's too alien or your personal comfort factor says no way, then no problem - you should still be able to get to things you want/need to do.

On the traffic thing, it's an interesting debate.    We've resisted the push to create a dedicated traffic page to date.   One thing we are doing as part of Rel 10.1 is to create an option to put the traffic thumbnail on the right side datablocks too.  That should provide more flexibility for the folks who want to use the left column for more com/nav freq display but still want a dedicated traffic thumbnail area.

I think that will have to suffice, at least until we get through a wall of additional functionality we're trying to add.   If the chorus for dedicated traffic pages continue to rise, then maybe we'll seek another solution but it will take a while to work through the existing feature backlog.

BTW, one note with the traffic thumbnail being available on the right side with Rel 10.1 - it will be touch control only.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2014 at 2:25pm
The slidey right data block will address a number of feature requests, certainly the traffic datablock availability as well.

It is rare that I used the full page traffic page in the GNS, and given the much better graphics on the 540, you really can see what you need on the main map page, especially if you zoom in. With the 2d/3D depiction of the traffic on the ASPEN, a separate traffic page from a visual perspective is moot for me.

BUT, I would like access to the approach mode control functions, that the GNS provided. I do have an external APPROACH mode button for the TAS605, but that doesn't quite provide all the function.

In any case, this is less important stuff, unlike HIGH priority items like the BOEING BANANA!

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 2:11am
I agree that having a traffic datablock on the right side will go a long ways, at least to where a traffic page is no longer people's #1 request like Orest's Boeing Banana.

Did you catch my suggestion previously regarding OBS mode HERE.  This seems to be a key missing capability.  You mention expecting pilots to fly the flight plan, but not having this capability prevents me from programming the flight plan properly.  Once you have this capability (and multiple departure procedures), I can't think of anything else that the pilot can't pre-program.  It's also most useful at the most critical phase of flight and used for primary navigation, not "just" situational awareness.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2014 at 4:23pm
Yes, I read and posted again in that thread.

* Orest

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 1:51am
Orest, I was posting to AviJake.  Since you mentioned other HIGH priority items, I chimed in with a plug for my desired capability.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 8:29am
Check.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:21am
roger, copy.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 10:23pm
With the current release, we cannot have standby coms and vloc radio frequencies, they are exclusive.  If you don't have traffic in and can't use the traffic thumbnail, it would be nice to be able to have standby #2 and #3 then VLOC below them.  With the future release being able to put the traffic on the right side, I think there will be more desire for this.  It seems like this came up before, but I couldn't find it with a quick search so I figured I post this suggestion, sorry if it's a repeat.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 8:39am
If the traffic thumbnail is not needed, then there is no problem having both com & vloc radio frequencies shown. However, there is a limitation to 2 freq each (active & standby). There is space for more (e.g. 3 com & 2 vloc as you suggest ... doesn't take any more space than 1 active & 4 stdby coms), but for some reason this is not allowed.

With com & vloc displayed, there is still room for other smaller format fields ... up to 5 x 1-row fields or a mix of 1-, 2-, 3-, & 4-row fields. Just no space for the traffic thumbnail, which automatically suppresses the vloc display.

At least, that is the sim behaviour.

Edited by chflyer - 30 Dec 2014 at 8:40am
Vince
helojunkie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote helojunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 5:16pm
+1 for the dedicated traffic page. 

With dual 540s in a high traffic area I would use it all the time. Much easier (IMO) to see and 'quickly' absorb the overall traffic situation with a dedicated screen (like on the Garmins) than the small thumbnail. 

Richard J. Sears
ATP ASMEL/Rotor
G-V, CE525S, CE500
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:53am
Just wanted to acknowledge the additional vote or two for the dedicated traffic page.  No action is planned yet but I am logging/measuring the request level and if it continues to rise or dissipates with more time on the units.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
twalterhome3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twalterhome3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:51pm
+1
another vote for a dedicated traffic page

Also, I am very much looking forward to 10.1 so that I can put the traffic thumbnail on the right.

(My IFD540 setup is to have ALL frequencies on the left, I love that. 
But that leaves no room for the traffic thumbnail currently)

Tim
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 9:56pm
+2 on the traffic.

Would be very useful in the dual 540 scenario.
David Gates
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:44am
Steve,

You may recall that I have a Garmin GMX200 and have traffic displayed on that unit.  I therefore do not want traffic on the IFD as I found it to be previously annoying having it on two units with my GNS480 and GMX200.  I eventually disabled it from the 480.

Having said all that I would still like the TAS traffic wired to the IFD in case the GMX200 needs to be removed temporarily for servicing.  I just don't want it displayed on the IFD until then.  Playing with the sim on my iPad, I could only find the Traffic Display in the Setup page greyed out, indicating this cannot be disabled.  

Is this correct or some type of limitation with the sim? 

Thanks,

Victor
Mooney M20J
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 11:00am
Hi Victor,

I think the solution to your specific scenario is easy.   You can and should definitely wire the traffic data into a port on the IFD540 but in Maintenance Mode, just don't select traffic for that port.  When you do that, the IFD will think it's not getting traffic data and therefore, will not display traffic.    Then when you took the GMX200 out for service, just select traffic for that port in Mx mode and you'll have traffic displaying on the IFD.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Victor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 3:35pm
Thanks Steve.
wookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm
I would be very eager for a dedicated traffic page as well.  

With the 530W, nearing an airport, I always selected the full page traffic display.   When I get a
call, I don't want to be trying to locate the traffic on the relatively cluttered main screen or sorting it
out on the hopelessly small thumbnail.

It should be easy to provide a TFC along with MAP and CHART.   It's the right thing to do.

BH
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 8:32am
Understood and thanks for the vote. BTW, your username might be tied with MysticCobra for best one on the forum...
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 3:18pm
The more I fly with the IFD, the more I am convinced, that we need a dedicated traffic page, read that as a larger sized display of traffic.

It is not for the enroute/IFR phase, but for when you are transitioning to land or takeoff at an uncontrolled airspace around a small airport, with VFR traffic buzzing around like mosquitos.

It would also be nice to be able to set the approach parameters, as you can with a GNS.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 20 Apr 2015 at 3:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic