Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540/440 Software Release 10.1.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:17pm
So are we.  Can't believe it's taken this long to get the signoff.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2015 at 9:33pm
Is the PC version updated? We are Apple free.

* Orest
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 8:10am
You guys need to learn to think like a regulator. It's taking this long because they are afraid to make another mistake by granting an STC with another software bug they didn't find.  The AD slowed the process down, not speed it up. 
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 8:35am
Yeah, Very "cool". My IFD app won't work at all after the "update". This is becoming way too typical for Avidyne's development efforts.
Ron L
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 9:16am
Did you try to delete the app and download it again.  It's strange it works fine for me also. and it is very cool.   Maybe not the fault of Avidynes developement effort.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 10:31am
If in doubt, "reboot".  I had to do the same thing: Delete old App, and re-install/download v10.1 for iPad.  Works like a charm, although I don't see any drop down for the IFD440...

Tom Wolf
ronl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 11:41am
Thanks, did that and now it works. The 440/540 selection is under the main iPad "settings" menu. Scroll way down. You will probably need to power down the iPad before it will actually change modes after making the selection.
Ron L
edanford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edanford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 2:08pm
I first had to delete the old 540 simulator from both my ipad mini and IPad2.

I  then loaded the new version 10.1 version 540 simulator to both iPads after that.

That seems to be the way to do this upgrade to simulator on ipad

Ed

Ed
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 2:14pm
My app is working fine but on the User Options setup area, I am not able to change any of the options such as TOD (on/off), 500' Callout (on/off), Hide Page Tabs, etc.  Is anyone else able to change these fields on the Sim?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 6:19pm
Looks like I can switch these fields "On or Off" - These are Aural alerts only.

Tom Wolf
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 6:34pm
Thanks, Tom.  I'll try to uninstall and download it again.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 9:35pm
I did uninstall and downloaded the app again but still cannot change those "on/off"  user options in the setup area.  I CAN toggle the "on/off" settings in the Setup FMS area.  Are you sure that is not what you were referring to?
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 1:51am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

........although I don't see any drop down for the IFD440...

Tom Wolf

not in the app. you have to go into settings and then select Avidyne and the option to change is there.
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:21pm
So does the sim update mean the actual product's 10.1 software is ready for roll-out?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:40pm
It's ready pending FAA approval which is what we are waiting for.
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 11:57pm
I like how the data scrolls on the map page now. there seems to be some data missing from the destination data block though.
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:10am
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

You guys need to learn to think like a regulator. It's taking this long because they are afraid to make another mistake by granting an STC with another software bug they didn't find.  The AD slowed the process down, not speed it up. 

When I first read your post, I thought it was just tongue in cheek. But now that the FAA have been sitting on all the paperwork for two weeks, I'm starting to think you might be on to something. Two weeks is certainly not priority or urgent processing in my business.

But then again, bureaucrats march to a different drummer (requiem). After all, the FAA is dragging their feet with a new legislative proposal to reduce certification overhead as well as speed up and reduce the cost of safety-related innovation.

Edited by chflyer - 09 Jun 2015 at 2:14am
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 7:47am
(Release 10.1.0.0 Certification Status Update - 9 June 2015)

We continue to wait.   It's entirely in the FAA's court.    Some parts move quickly and some not.   We're waiting on the "not" part.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:29am

What's about the PC SIM update?

Klaus
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:36am
Originally posted by KIM KIM wrote:

What's about the PC SIM update?

+1
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 10:46am
+2

Most folks are Apple-free.

* Orest

MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:29pm
+3 for PC sim.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:34pm
The PC sim update for 10.1 is coming. I don't have a definitive time frame yet but it will be updated.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
KIM View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 2:43pm

This sounds bad ...

Klaus
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

The PC sim update for 10.1 is coming. I don't have a definitive time frame yet but it will be updated.

Can you see if they can update the database used too?  It's getting a little out of date. 1302 is the Jepp revision used.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 11:55am
AviSimpson/AviJake,

What is the procedure for updating to 10.1?  

My assumptions (please confirm):
  1. It will be available prior to Oshkosh 2015.
  2. It will be done completely from the front panel (ie. - with a USB stick).
  3. It must be done by an Avidyne dealer.
  4. It will require a logbook entry.

Will there be any re-calibration or post-update testing/verification required?

I'm currently at odds with my Avidyne Dealer.  He will not respond to my e-mails.  The point is that I may have to find a new Dealer to accomplish this update.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 12:18pm
Pburger, I assume this will be like previous updates in that any A&P who can sign off the logbook entry, can do the update.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:32pm
I don't know that anyone can definitively confirm that, or any other date, at present.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 12 Jun 2015 at 3:33pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:48pm
(Release 10.1.0.0 Cert Update - 12 June 2015)

Still not signed off.     Here is my most diplomatic way to phrase the current state of affairs:

The FAA is actively working the end game of the TSO side.   While they are not working at anywhere near the speed we would like and expect, they are working it faster than they said they would.  They are all waiting on one individual to finish his review responsibilities.  That individual delivered his findings to us a few hours ago and they are all typographical in nature.   We don't know if there are any more findings coming.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:55pm
Jake,

Does this mean the FAA has found typo errors that require changing in the Avidyne Operators manual?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by pburger pburger wrote:

AviSimpson/AviJake,

What is the procedure for updating to 10.1?  

My assumptions (please confirm):
  2. It will be done completely from the front panel (ie. - with a USB stick).
  3. It must be done by an Avidyne dealer.
  4. It will require a logbook entry.

Will there be any re-calibration or post-update testing/verification required?

I'm currently at odds with my Avidyne Dealer.  He will not respond to my e-mails.  The point is that I may have to find a new Dealer to accomplish this update.

We will post a video on how to upgrade to 10.1 on the website early next week, even if the system is not yet approved.

We have no way of knowing if it'll be done prior to Osh (see my earlier post from today) but it sure feels that way.

Yes, it's all updated via the USB stick.  But, we will also have you update a micro SD card on the side of the unit.

It can be done by anybody with log book signoff authority.

No re-cal will be required.  There is a modest post-update test but that's just a test that the software versions all got updated as expected and is part of the upgrade procedure.

Edited by AviJake - 12 Jun 2015 at 3:59pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

Jake,

Does this mean the FAA has found typo errors that require changing in the Avidyne Operators manual?

No, there are no updates to the manual required - at least none that we've gotten so, and we don't expect there to be.

The guys who reviewed the user books completed their review weeks ago and had no issues.

The typo errors (and they weren't even errors in my opinion) are all in the software documentation that never sees the light of day from a user's perspective. They are all in the DO-178 supporting docs that are part of the TSO submission package.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2015 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

No re-cal will be required.  There is a modest post-update test but that's just a test that the software versions all got updated as expected and is part of the upgrade procedure.

Not to nitpick, but whenever I have updated the software inc. 10.1.0.0, I have followed the install manual for reviewing and setting (if required) the maintenance settings. I have usually had to reset the CDI scaling to match 150 degrees and then verify in 30 degree increments. Same follows for the dimming bus voltages for 0 and 100%. I don't think this is the recalculation you are talking about, and just wanted to get clarification.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 5:39pm
Given the long track on getting things through FAA, my question then would be:

How does this impact the others things which were expected with 10.1 but have been culled out; e.g. WiFi, app support, wx support, keyboard, etc.

Are you doing a parallel submission in queue, or what is the reset horizon?
David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 5:44pm
The reality is that is not knowable.

WiFi/BT come together in a single STC cert effort.   The FAA has that cert plan/application but has not started servicing it yet due to their "focus" on  Rel 10.1.

One of the outcomes of this Rel 10.1 saga is that there has been a change of responsible Avidyne project managers in the cert office that is effective now (all programs after 10.1).   We view that change as a favorable change.  But, what will be the externally observable change/impact?   That's the part that's just not knowable and we have to jump in to find how how deep and cold that water is.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 7:18pm
Thanks, Steve.

David Gates
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 8:03pm

Yes, it's all updated via the USB stick.  But, we will also have you update a micro SD card on the side of the unit.

Steve,

I just put my IFD540 in the instrument panel for the "last" time today as part of my STC upgrade.  I didn't remember seeing a card slot on the side of the unit.  Do you have a picture of that you can post?  Which side is it on?

My unit came with an Avidyne USB stick.  Was there an Avidyne micro SD card in the box that I missed?

David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 8:27pm
It's on the left side of the unit, covered by a little plate. There was no SD card in the original package. The video we'll post early this week will show it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 9:54pm
Just curious, if you can say, what is the programmatic purpose of the SD card?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jun 2015 at 9:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:06am

So the micro SD card is already in there, and I will just need to reprogram it?

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:26am
Yes.

The micro SD cards contain aural alerts and other apps.   Most of the apps and the apps processor that uses the card is untapped to date but we did need to make a little tweak to it for 10.1 that is essential to smooth operations.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 11:32am

Yes.

The micro SD cards contain aural alerts and other apps. ...

Cool.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 3:23pm

Jake:

If your company has the units now (as Avidyne has mine for hardware upgrade), will the required changes get made, or will I have to have it done when I get them back?

Thanks

David

David Gates
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 3:25pm
We can certainly do it. Do you want to set a deadline? If FAA does not sign off 10.1 by <blah> date, send it back and I'll do it myself?
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 5:47pm

That sounds good.  I guess the feds have to do their piece before you can update the units.

Who do I communicate with?

David

David Gates
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 6:00pm

Michael Huerta

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 6:06pm
Maybe but I think you'll get much more service and progress out of Mike Clifford.  mclifford@avidyne.com

I'll give him the heads up.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2015 at 1:53pm
(Release 10.1.0.0 Cert Update - 17 June 2015)

Still not done.    But, reference the 12 June update, we did receive all the known comments/issues that last FAA reviewer had a few days ago, and updated the affected submission docs and re-submitted those to the FAA yesterday.   We are now back in wait mode to find out of those updates scratch this particular FAA rep's itch.

As noted last time, none of these doc updates affect end-user documentation.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 8:24am

(Release 10.1.0.0 Cert Update - 17 June 2015)
 we did receive all the known comments/issues that last FAA reviewer had a few days ago, and updated the affected submission docs and re-submitted those to the FAA yesterday

In the FAA's world, this resets their review clock.  Technically they now have 60 (or 90) days until they must respond. The response is to either approve your data, or ask you another question about it.

Avidyne can expect to hear something from the FAA by August 17th.  But "something" can come in the form of a follow-on question.

I've been involved in several STC projects, and the STC applicant has essentially no control over the process timeline at this stage.

David

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 9:22am
Just give us the FAA reps name and number. :-) LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic