Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD540/440 Software Release 10.1.0.0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:42pm
(Release 10.1.0.0 Cert Update - 18 June 2015)

The FAA has just issued TSO/STC approval for Rel 10.1.0.0.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 12:48pm
Excellent!  Is everything ready and available for the dealers (or will be shortly)?

Too soon to talk about 10.1.1.0? <-- Sorry couldn't resist.
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 1:57pm
YEAH!!!

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:30pm
Steve,  Congratulations to you and the entire team!!!
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:43pm
Whoo Hooo!

Tom G
TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:44pm
Can you give us an update as to what it means?
Tom G
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 2:49pm
Jake, this is great news for you and all of us. I'm sure everyone at Avidyne can breathe a sigh of relief
1964-m20e View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1964-m20e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by TomG TomG wrote:

This means that the IFD440 can start shipping soon and IFD540 owners can get the new software to eliminate a problem with some approaches as well as some other enhancements to the functionallity.

TomG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 4:03pm
Will the MLB 100 or keyboards be shipping as a result of the release?  Can't wait for the cool stuff to begin!
Tom G
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 4:04pm
It was already announced that the WiFi was not bundled into 10.1 so keyboards will not be shipping yet.
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by TomG TomG wrote:

+1
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Steve,  Congratulations to you and the entire team!!!

++1
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 5:08pm
The church bells are ringing, and the villagers are singing and dancing in the streets!

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 5:16pm
Huzzay!
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 6:53pm
When can I go to my dealer and have my unit updated?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 7:07pm
Well, you can at least have a look at the video ....

Here is the youtube link ...

You can also get to this video from the website ...

Just select DEALER LOGIN, you don't have to actually log in to view that.

Edited by oskrypuch - 18 Jun 2015 at 7:09pm
Leonard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 10:03pm
Is cost for this update on me or Avidyne?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 10:10pm
Avidyne
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Joe Jet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Jet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2015 at 10:53pm
Good timing....My Aerostar is in the avionics shop now getting the 430 replaced with my 2nd 540, have one in my 36 too, so it will come out with the update done.
A36 w/IFD 540, PA60 w/IFD 540
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:01am
So 10.1.0.0 can take input from a Bluetooth keyboard device.  That means it should be possible to write an Android app that takes a flight plan from somewhere like DUATS and enter it in the IFD using Bluetooth keyboard emulation (such as the GPL Bluectrl app does).

I'm not going to have time to take on another midnight coding project for a few months but this does sound interesting.

Will the Apple or Windows emulators accept keyboard commands like the real IFD 540 does?  That would make development much easier.

Congrats to all at Avidyne for developing this and getting it through FAA certification!
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2015 at 8:08am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

(Release 10.1.0.0 Cert Update - 17 June 2015)
 we did receive all the known comments/issues that last FAA reviewer had a few days ago, and updated the affected submission docs and re-submitted those to the FAA yesterday

In the FAA's world, this resets their review clock.  Technically they now have 60 (or 90) days until they must respond.

... or it might just be four hours later. :)

compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 7:36am
When and how will 10.1.0.0 be made available?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:27am
The software update will be available through your Avidyne dealer. Contact them directly as they need to order the 10.1 update kit from us.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:39am
Thank you. My dealer has no details about this yet. 

When will they be able to place the order? 

How long will it take for them to receive the update materials?

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:41am
They can place the order today. The materials should arrive to them this week.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 11:56am
My shop just called in and your folks said to wait.  How do we get this if you won't send it?
(in case you want to follow up, it was Direct Avionics at KDVO)

Edited by TogaDriver - 22 Jun 2015 at 12:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 2:06pm
We have the Regional Sales Manager calling Direct right now. We are taking orders for 10.1, I'm unsure of where the communication breakdown was.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 12:50pm
Forgive me, but I'm still not clear on who can install this update.  Can we download and install it ourselves like we did the last one?  Or are we required to have our avionics shops do it and sign it off?

I'm not afraid of big files and lengthy update processes.  Many of us have the bandwidth and tech ability to do it ourselves.

Mike
< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2015 at 1:06pm
This update has to be done by an Avidyne dealer and it does require a sign off.

**EDIT** Correction, this can be done by anyone who has logbook sign off authority, however, we highlyrecommend that an Avidyne dealer does this due to the complexity.

Edited by AviSimpson - 24 Jun 2015 at 4:20pm
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:47am
If owner can download and update to 10.1.0.0, and the video makes sense, how does one obtain the download?
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:32pm
Note post above. An owner cannot do this install. It must be done by someone with authority to sign off the log but preferably a dealer. After seeing what my dealer went through to install, I strongly suggest it be done by a dealer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:18pm

Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

After seeing what my dealer went through to install, I strongly suggest it be done by a dealer.

I concur. The process is neither short nor simple.

Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:54pm
I would like to know if anyone who has updated to the new software has had any glitches in the operation of the IFD 540 since the update?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:00pm
Avidyne has not received any anomalous behavior reports from folks who have successfully loaded 10.1.

We have the same question as jrlumpp. So far so good on our end.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:17pm
I had my 2 done at a dealer and both boxes experienced an error message at one point but I  believe rebooting the boxes brought them back to the same spot they were at and they completed fine after that.  The shop was also updating another box on their bench and I know that box was caught in an endless loop of the splash screen to a black screen.  Rebooting several times did not correct that issue.  I am not sure what the end result was but I think they were going to send the box into Avidyne
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 7:35pm
This upgrade is very complicated. Many shops are botching the upgrades because they are not placing enough attention to detail. Please emplore your shops to follow the service bulletin procedures exactly. If they don't that kind of thing happens. The upgrade goes fine if the steps are followed exactly. The boxes are performing great for those folks who get through the upgrade cleanly.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 8:50pm

After the upgrade, I observed a Terrain Data Fail message, but the unit was on a test bench with no GPS input at the time.  After several cycles of power with a valid GPS signal being supplied, the fault seems to have  subsided, so whatever caused it was transient.  Not a fault of the data loading process.

I have not flown with the new version yet in my plane.  Still waiting for my kit to arrive.

I offered some critique suggestions for improvements in the next service bulletin, but that's not to say that there was anything actually wrong with this one.

teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 9:08pm
Question on the 500 foot callout option.  Is this callout at 500 feet above field elevation supposed to be only on an approach?   I can't seem to get a call out at all on my IPad Sim, but  when flying my plane back from the shop after installation, I did NOT have an instrument approach loaded, but I did get a call out on final to land. It caught me off guard and can't remember the altitude I heard it at but I assume it was 500 AGL based on GPS.  The Pilot Guide, however, says the callout is only when on a published approach procedure so I am wondering why I got it when I was not on an approach.
Also, I wonder if it might be more useful if it were 500 ft above DH/MDA rather than GPS field elevation if it is based on an approach.  On some approaches with high MDAs, you would not even get the callout if MDA is more than 500 feet AGL.

Edited by teeth6 - 25 Jun 2015 at 9:48pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 5:40am
I need to check on a few things but it doesn't need to be an approach (can get it on a VFR pattern too) and it should be like a radar altimeter in that it is 500' AGL right below your aircraft. It does not take airport elevation or DH into consideration.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 8:54am
Thanks. Perhaps my suggestion might be considered in the future but the revised Pilot Guide does state the callout comes "when on a published approach procedure".
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:46am
I'd suggest that when on an approach, the callout should reference the minimums.  The only real benefit of a callout is when your IMC and can't see the ground.  When IMC, the only real altitude reference is against the minimums.  AGL doesn't really provide useful information.  As said before, there are plenty of locations where the 500 foot callout is below minimums, such all approaches to my home field (IYK) - the lowest AGL minimum on an approach into my home field is 703 feet.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 10:50am
That would be a new feature.  This 500' call out is TAWS/EGPWS MOPS compliant and that was where it came from and why it exists.

I think my mistake was how I defined it (needing to be on a published approach procedure) in the Pilot Guide.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 12:21am
Ah, that makes sense.  I was very much thinking it was intended for SA while on an approach.  I do however remember you saying earlier that it was part of the TAWS design - I forgot about that.  Could you add the height above minimums call out feature?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 9:16am
Yes, I'll add it to the future feature candidate database now.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:37pm

A friend has version 10.1 loaded on his unit, and I got to fly with it for a short time this morning (since we had some actual weather in the area) and see what datalink weather looks like.  Pretty cool.

We didn't fly long enough for me to see if it plays a weather loop or not.  My understanding is that weather receivers all tend to download a single still image (the current radar) and it is a function of the display system to hold the last few images in memory and play them in sequence to give the impression of a weather radar loop.

Does the IFD do this?  I looked for it in the Pilot's Guide (for 10.1) but I couldn't find any text addressing it specifically.  If this feature (weather loop) is not included, can it be added to the wish list for a future software?

If it is an available feature, how does the pilot turn it on?  Other weather systems that I have been exposed to tend to power up in "still" mode and the pilot has to turn on the looping animation deliberately (with an associated decrease in screen drawing speed).

David Bunin

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:43pm
Looping weather is not a feature in IFDs at this time. It is a candidate for potential future inclusion (but it is currently pretty low on the priority list).
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
starbuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote starbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 6:41am
hello , i sent a email 2 weeks ago to info@avidyne , but no news from them about my problem

im in france and no local dealer  ho wi can get this update ?????

thx for help

herve
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by teeth6 teeth6 wrote:

I had my 2 done at a dealer and both boxes experienced an error message at one point but I  believe rebooting the boxes brought them back to the same spot they were at and they completed fine after that.  The shop was also updating another box on their bench and I know that box was caught in an endless loop of the splash screen to a black screen.  Rebooting several times did not correct that issue.  I am not sure what the end result was but I think they were going to send the box into Avidyne

Teeth6, depending on the "error", they may not be unexpected.  Step 3.6.3.d of the service bulletin specifically states 2 errors that may appear and what to do (power cycling the unit is part of the procedure).  I'm not sure what errors your dealer ran into, but it if was one of these, I wouldn't really call these errors because they are anticipated in the service bulletin.

I just had my 540 updated and had the Flashing EEPROM error, but the service bulletin provided specific guidance on how to continue, so I say my update went entirely as expected with no issues - but it did take a long time.  The service bulletin is very detailed and thorough and has every button push documented.

Edited by brou0040 - 30 Jun 2015 at 6:17pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 7:07pm
brou0040 is correct. 

However, we found and fixed a problem with the software updater utility today.     For some folks attempting to do a Rel 10.1 update using the upgrade kit and service bulletin, it will not work and instead will "brick" the box.   It's a long-winded and deeply technical reason and only affects a minority of people but it was our mistake to not have caught it.   There is no real way to predict which units will be affected (there actually is a way but it is so complicated that it's safer to assume you can't).

We recommend that nobody attempt any further 10.1 upgrades until they have the corrected file that we expect to distribute on Wed.

We plan to call every dealer (or end user for experimental guys) on Wed to make sure they know about this and have the corrected file.   This should all be behind us by Wed afternoon.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2015 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by starbuck starbuck wrote:

hello , i sent a email 2 weeks ago to info@avidyne , but no news from them about my problem

im in france and no local dealer  ho wi can get this update ?????

thx for help

herve

herve,

Just sent you a private message with the recommended dealers who can get the update.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic