Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KT-74 Transponder Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KT-74 Transponder Thread
    Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:19pm

It may take a while for a reply on this thread, but does anyone know of a KT-74 being used with the IFD540? It would not be STCd, but word is that it could technically work since the King and Avidyne transponders are both made by Trig. Then perhaps, maybe, King would see the light (word is their 770 is not selling well at all) and obtain an STC by 2020.

Last year my old Cessna ARC transponder died, and I went out and got the new KT-74.  ADS-B out and all that - with two RS-232 wires to connect to my future WAAS GPS.  Couldn't be simpler, right? Noooo, its not and the FAA needs an STC for the KT-74 to be used as a position source for the IFD540.  Of course I'd rather keep the King rather than buy yet another transponder, rewire (its not pin compatible), etc.  I would have gotten the Avidyne had I known ...

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 5:44pm
Avidyne doesn't have any spec on the KT-74 nor any control over what B-K plans to do, STC-wise with it.  Since they are the vendor of that device, the burden falls on them to authorize compatible ADS-B position source devices to feed it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by AviJake AviJake wrote:

Avidyne doesn't have any spec on the KT-74 nor any control over what B-K plans to do, STC-wise with it.  Since they are the vendor of that device, the burden falls on them to authorize compatible ADS-B position source devices to feed it.

Yes, I tried to make that clear in my post that I know it is not your problem - it is up to B-K.  A 540 is in my future and I'm looking forward to it!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic