Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aural Warnings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aural Warnings
    Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:07pm
I just got some install glitches resolved this past week, so am just now getting around to some practice approaches for real.

I don't seem to be getting FLTA aural warnings, but I am getting the TOD chime. Does this audio come from the same output? Is is possible I've just overlooked a config setting? FLTA is displayed on the screen, of course.

Incidentally, my install glitches were due to a funky 530 tray. Once we substituted a new one, everything seems to be resolved. Symptoms were intermittent loss of GPS lock. I mention it in case anyone else is having that problem for unexplained reasons.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 12:32pm
It is the same audio output line.

I have never heard a FLTA aural warning, lots of big blue and some yellow triangle objects, but never a red -- but I've never purposely flown at a tower, or something similar.  ;-)

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 05 Apr 2015 at 12:33pm
rolfe_tessem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 1:52pm
Orest,

I just assumed that the aural warnings mirrored the on-screen ones -- apparently not! 

So, you only get an aural warning for red?

Rolfe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 4:17pm
I just re-read the applicable section of the manual several times, and it is still not clear to me when one gets an aural warning in addition to the visual warning. I think this section could use come clarification.

Rolfe

Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 5:30pm
What was funky about the 530 tray ? Anything that can be visually recognized ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2015 at 6:29pm
Bad1996, not exactly.

We found that the the 540 was an *extremely* tight fit in my existing 530 tray. So tight that my installer called Avidyne to talk about it. The 530 is a looser fit, with a bit of wiggle room. We eventually got the 540 in the tray, with a lot of effort, but the subsequent flights led to loss of GPS lock. They could be resolved temporarily by manipulating the locking screw in or out, which led us to suspect the tray. I had bought another new 530 tray to sell with my 530 and so we reinstalled the 540 with that tray. It was now a glove fit -- still tight, but it slid in smoothly. That resolved all the problems. Our feeling is that the initial problems with GPS lock were caused by a slightly deformed 530 tray which never caused a problem with the 530 because of its slightly looser fit and therefore slightly greater tolerance.

Rolfe

Edit: For clarification, the GPS lock failures were with 10.0.2 installed. We installed 10.0.3 with the tray swap.

Edited by rolfe_tessem - 05 Apr 2015 at 6:36pm
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by rolfe_tessem rolfe_tessem wrote:

I just re-read the applicable section of the manual several times, and it is still not clear to me when one gets an aural warning in addition to the visual warning. I think this section could use come clarification.

Rolfe

Presuming FLTA is turned On in the User Options page (it defaults to on at every power application) and presuming your IFD540 audio output is wired to the audio panel, you should:

1.  Get a terrain warning aural for every red FLTA Terrain Warning; and
2.  Get a terrain caution aural for every yellow FLTA Terrain Caution; and
3.  Get an obstacle warning aural for every red FLTA Obstacle Warning; and
4.  Get an obstacle caution aural for every yellow FLTA Obstacle Caution.

So that is four separate aural alerts that FLTA can generate.  If you can hear one, then all wiring is correct and you'll hear any of those four that get triggered.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolfe_tessem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 11:22am
Steve,

Thanks for that clarification!

I assume that you agree with Orest's post above, that if I'm hearing the TOD chime, then the audio wiring is correct?

Thanks,

Rolfe

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 11:26am
Yes, I agree with Orest.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 9:33pm
Is there a way to test for aural alerts while on the ground and not in flight? 

I'm pretty certain that  my aural alert audio is not working (I've not received TOD tones at the start of the GPS LPV approaches - but do hear them on the sim). The shop looked at things today and said they think it is OK, although they could not with certainty say which pin-out is for the alerts. What shall I tell them?

I have an avidyne AMX240 audio panel and would think the connections are already in the wiring from the factory - but maybe not.

Thanks.
bneub111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bneub111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2015 at 10:49pm
My original installer didn't run the wires from the 540 to the audio panel for the aural alerts. Once they were added, I could hear terrain and TOD alerts.

I don't know which pins they are, but Tech support could tell you or the shop.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 8:40am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

Don't think so. 

However, 10.1 will reportedly provide an aural feedback, as you adjust the alert volume, which would serve that purpose.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2015 at 9:35am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

I'm pretty certain that  my aural alert audio is not working (I've not received TOD tones at the start of the GPS LPV approaches - but do hear them on the sim). The shop looked at things today and said they think it is OK, although they could not with certainty say which pin-out is for the alerts. What shall I tell them?

I have an avidyne AMX240 audio panel and would think the connections are already in the wiring from the factory - but maybe not.

Thanks.

Are you seeing the TOD icon on your route? Double check that TOD Aural Alerts is set to on in the AUX page as well.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic