Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Required nav data with Aspen 1000

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Required nav data with Aspen 1000
    Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 3:34pm
I called Jeppesen to start a new nav data package for the IFD 540 and the Aspen 1000 with synthetic vision. The 540 order was simple giving the choice for just nav data or a bundle for everything. The Aspen order was a bit confusing as I needed to order nav data again and then terrain as a add on. Has anyone with the 540 and Aspen with the synthetic vision established what is really needed? Thanks
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 4:04pm
The needs for the ASPEN are entirely independent of the IFD540 data, although you might get a bit of a price break if you order both products.

The ASPEN data, for synthetic vision, is the full navdata package, but it only uses the "social" data off the card, together with the terrain data. When you update the card through JSUM, the navdata gets updated, along with the social data. The terrain does not update. If you wanted the terrain updated (changes maybe once a year), then you have to order a whole new card. If you are in CONUS, not much point, but outside of there the terrain data is often extended to include more regions with each update. Also, JSUM decrements the ASPEN data download from (3) downloads, but each month, not sure why.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 09 Apr 2015 at 4:06pm
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:05pm
I have the EFD1000 Pro with SV with the IFD 540, both installed last November. I too was confused about the data requirements. Initially I ordered the NavData and Terrain data for the Aspen. After thinking about it, I called Aspen to ask what they recommended for this setup and they told me that getting a once a year update on terrain was about all that was needed. I called Jeppesen and canceled the two subscriptions and will now update terrain with a once a year update. Ill do this going forward unless there's a good argument made for something else.  
Jrlumpp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrlumpp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 8:41pm
I thought of just getting the nav data for the Aspen and just do the terrain once a year. I couldn't get an answer from Jeppesen what happens on the Aspen display
If nav or terrain is expired?
B2C2 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B2C2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 6:36pm
The splash screen tells you these are expired, but once running the unit appears to work as before. I should mention also that I have the subscriptions for Nav, terrain and obstacle data for the IFD 540, and I use foreflight with a stratus 2 which also gets updated terrain and obstacle information, so I'm just not getting this updated for one of the three screens I am using.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic