Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bonanza 540 install

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyking00a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bonanza 540 install
    Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 1:07am
Hi everyone:

I've recently installed a IFD 540 in my S35. The 540 replaced a non WAAS 430. The airplane is equipped as follows:

Stec 60-2
King Slaved HSI
King Flight Director
GMA 340 audio panel
GTX 327
KX155 and KI 209

Overall I am very pleased with the 540. The install was easy to accomplish, requiring only the avionics to be moved down to make room for the new tray, moving the connectors on to the new tray and adding a WAAS antenna. I have a ST901 GPSS to install next and ordered a MLB100. I will also be installing a annunciator panel. I would post a photo but can't figure out how from the iPad.

I have flown the unit approximately 10 hours since the install. I am thrilled with the unit. I am not satisfied with how autopilot tracks the GPS course in NAV mode, but believe it to be a problem with the AP. I'll get that sorted out after the GPSS is installed.

Learning the unit has been relatively easy using the simulator and the manual.

Mark King
Santa Paula, Ca (KSZP)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 9:02am
Yes, it is one sweet and powerful unit, and surprisingly easy to transition to. Avidyne did a really fabulous job with the user interface.

It is a delight, and huge step forward in function.

* Orest

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:02pm
Welcome Mark! We are happy that you are enjoying your 540 so far.

Originally posted by skyking00a skyking00a wrote:

I am not satisfied with how autopilot tracks the GPS course in NAV mode, but believe it to be a problem with the AP. I'll get that sorted out after the GPSS is installed.

Sounds like the perfect case for upgrading to a DFC90...
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 5:27pm
Mark, I have the 540 in my Bonanza with the KFC200 autopilot and it flies it very well.  I did have to have my autopilot calibrated, but that was a factor of the autopilot / HSI / Flight Director, not a function/failure of the 540.  The 60-2 in a Bonanza will tend to wander a bit on an approach, but should be steady in the enroute phase.
skyking00a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyking00a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:41pm
Concur that the 60-2 needs calibration, will be doing that when I get St901 installed, some time in the next two weeks. Another issues is I'm not seeing the heading bug on the 540 - I'm wondering if I need to dig into the config page or is the HSI not providing heading i pit to the 540...
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 3:49pm
So, a couple of things.  The 60-2 has two heavy control boxes normally mounted in the tail of the aircraft.  If you have a 33 or 35, you can gain almost .3-.4 of an inch of CG if you upgrade to a newer autopilot.  You may consider this with respect to the cost to overhaul or calibrate the unit.  In addition, a ST901 installed is 4k new, combine all of that and you are a long way into an aspen install which gives you GPSS anyway and a path to upgrade to a DFC90.  Just sayin.

You won't get the heading bug without heading input, and I don't see anything in your equipment list that would give you heading input (at least easily).
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:21pm
Why wouldn't the HSI give him heading and bug?
David Gates
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:25pm
Only certain HSIs have the analog x,y,z outputs.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 4:53pm
Using magnetic heading synchro inputs are part of 10.1.0.0 update.  Again this won't be the heading bug, only magnetic heading.  This will only work if you have synchro outputs on your HSI (as Gring states not all HSI's have this).  In addition it needs to be wired up per the 10.1.0.0 install manual.

As for the 60-2, if tuned up and the Turn Coordinator is within spec it's a solid AP.  That said, I had my roll servo, pitch computer and turn coordinator all OH'd in the last year.... Sigh.

I also installed the ST901 when I got my IFD540s, and it's one of those items I regret not doing when I upgraded to WAAS 7yrs ago.

Edited by roltman - 24 Apr 2015 at 4:54pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

...  In addition, a ST901 installed is 4k new, ...

Wow, either that is a huge installation cost or the ST901 has gone way up in price or both. When I had mine installed in 2003, the ST901 unit alone cost just $1000.

Vince
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by chflyer chflyer wrote:

Originally posted by Gring Gring wrote:

...  In addition, a ST901 installed is 4k new, ...

Wow, either that is a huge installation cost or the ST901 has gone way up in price or both. When I had mine installed in 2003, the ST901 unit alone cost just $1000.

I paid under 1000 for mine last fall including install. Bought it 2nd hand from a guy doing an aspen install.
skyking00a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyking00a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 3:44pm
The 901 install is going to be real straight forward, the unit is essentially pre wired and ready. I bought it 4 years ago but never installed it. The heading bug question is a little baffling, that's going to take a little reasearch.   

Any clue how I can post photos from iPad on here, I'd like to get some input on a new panel layout I'll be doing once the 540/GPSS is sorted. I have new virgin panels from Beech so I can correct 50 years of hacking on the present panel....

Yep, I'm aware of the those electronic bricks for the 60-2 back aft. This airplane really never has anyone in the back, we do take long trips but never come near gross or the aft limit.

Appreciate all the good comments!
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by skyking00a skyking00a wrote:

Any clue how I can post photos from iPad on here, I'd like to get some input on a new panel layout I'll be doing once the 540/GPSS is sorted.

Yes.  Click the icon circled in red.  That expands your icon list and you should see an icon of a tree picture that will allow you to attach images.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic