Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Screen protector

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Screen protector
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:31pm
Had one on my Garmin, can I use a screen protector on my IFD540?
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 8:58pm
From AviJake (Avidyne)  Oct. 2014:

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
Quote AviJake Quote Post ReplyReply
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 6:32pm
No, we don't endorse any screen protectors. In fact, some will actually damage the touch screen glass.

It'll be interesting to see if any users come up with something neat but for now, we definitely don't recommend anything.

In the past, on other Avidyne products, folks have used stuff then sent it in for service and since the glass was so damaged because of it, the warranty was void.
Gary-T
drapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 9:52pm
Thanks Gary T, didn't come up in my search!
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 8:59am
Originally posted by drapo drapo wrote:

Had one on my Garmin, can I use a screen protector on my IFD540?

Welcome to Avidyne Live.

Here is a snippet from the IFD540 PG

If the IFD screen should become dirty due to fingerprints or dust, clean the screen using the following materials and methods:

A clean, soft lint-free cloth such as 3M Ultra-Brite Cloth #2011 or similar;

A cleaning solution composed of de-ionized water or reagent-grade acetone or other liquid solvents such as isopropyl alcohol (IPA).  Use caution, as it may be flammable.  Always apply the cleaning solution directly on the cloth.  Never spray cleaner directly on the screen.

Acetone is very good at dissolving grease, but it dries very quickly and always should be handled with acetone-impenetrable gloves. In general, isopropyl alcohol is a safe and effective cleaner.  Methanol and most acidic solutions can be toxic or damaging to glass coatings if misused.

Excessive or unnecessary cleaning should be avoided to prevent damage to the coated optical filter surfaces.  Never allow excess amounts of cleaning agents to dry if they have formed into pools, streaks or droplets to help avoid spotting of the glass surface.

The use of any third-party screen protector, especially those that adhere directly to the IFD display glass, is not endorsed by Avidyne due to the touch-screen nature of the display and may void the warranty for any display related issue.

Edited by AviSimpson - 28 Apr 2015 at 9:00am
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 11:31am
We were sent a cloth and a small bottle of "Sparkle" glass cleaner by Avidyne some months ago.  I did not find an accompanying explanation.  I assume "Sparkle" is approved?
David Gates
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2015 at 3:28pm
Yes, that is fine to use.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic