Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > SkyTrax Series ADS-B Receivers & Transceivers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SkyTrax FAQ's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SkyTrax FAQ's
    Posted: 06 May 2015 at 1:54pm
Please use this topic for any questions you have regarding the "ML" series.

Below is a comparison between the different products:

Edited by AviSimpson - 13 Apr 2016 at 3:43pm
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:20pm
Simpson,

What concerns me about the chart there is MLX products list a RS232 & A429 Display port. I assume this is in reference to FIS-B data only?

As I understand it the MLB-100 uses A429 for the traffic information (TIS-B) and RS232 for FIS-B data.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious when I look a the table (i.e. Is display port some odd protocol I've never heard of?).  Either way that table could be cleared up a bit.
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

As I understand it the MLB-100 uses A429 for the traffic information (TIS-B) and RS232 for FIS-B data.

This is correct all of the "ML" (MLB100 & MLX200/210) products use Arinc 429 to display traffic and RS232 for weather.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
flybikeski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Originally posted by roltman roltman wrote:

This is correct all of the "ML" (MLB100 & MLX200/210) products use Arinc 429 to display traffic and RS232 for weather.

Interesting. I wasn't aware ADS-B In required a GPS.  Is that RS-232 or Arinc 429?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by flybikeski flybikeski wrote:

Interesting. I wasn't aware ADS-B In required a GPS.  Is that RS-232 or Arinc 429?

ADS-B IN does not, however, the MLX210 has an internal WAAS GPS for ADS-B OUT.

Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:26pm

ADS-B IN does not, however, the MLX210 has an internal WAAS GPS for ADS-B OUT.

OK, thanks.  I think your chart is confusing on that point as it says "Requires External GPS" for the MLB100 which I interpreted as needing to connect to one.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2015 at 4:31pm

I think your chart is confusing on that point as it says "Requires External GPS" for the MLB100 which I interpreted as needing to connect to one.

You're absolutely right, I didn't even notice that on the first go around...I will clean this up and repost as well as fix it on the site.

Thanks for catching it.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
drapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 3:53pm
The MLX200 looks like the ADSB- in/out solution for my IFD540 KT76A, since I don't fly in the flight levels. Have any idea of the availability and price?
Gary T View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:00pm
From the Avidyne press release:

Pricing and Availability
The MLX200 Transceiver has a retail price of $3,495. The MLX210 Transceiver with embedded GPS receiver is $4,995. The MLB100 Receiver is $2,495. Prices include connector kit. Antennas are sold separately. These systems are expected to be certified and available in the May 2015 time frame. Release 10.1 software for the IFD540/IFD440 will be certified and available in the May 2015 time frame.
Gary-T
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:14pm
May, 2015 is almost over.  Sure wish these deadlines meant something.

Tom Wolf

drapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2015 at 10:10pm
Thanks Gary T
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 3:04pm
MLB100 received today for (pre-wired) install!   

With TAS605 and Aspen PFD/MFD in place installer believes that prior to the 605"A" upgrade, I must now choose which traffic I wish to display on 540 & Aspens - TAS interrogated or MLB ADS-B, but with ARINC 429 input to 540, can't do both!

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wolf. 

Edited by n7ifr - 10 Jun 2015 at 3:05pm
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 3:09pm

Tom:

I'll bet that is true prior to getting "a" upgrade, whose date I understand has slipped again.

David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 3:22pm
I didn't realize the MLB100 was shipping.  Thought that was on hold pending 10.1.0.0 software cert?  

Is there limited distribution going on, or is it in general release now?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

With TAS605 and Aspen PFD/MFD in place installer believes that prior to the 605"A" upgrade, I must now choose which traffic I wish to display on 540 & Aspens - TAS interrogated or MLB ADS-B, but with ARINC 429 input to 540, can't do both!

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wolf. 

That is correct, regardless of the databus the info comes in on, you can only display one type of data, from one source. Integrating the data from two sources is pretty complicated, and incidentally that is what the 605A will do. Until then, you pick the source.

I still don't understand how you got an MLB100, unless your aircraft is experimental?

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 10 Jun 2015 at 4:07pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 4:38pm
No experimental here.  Confirmed by phone, MLB (x2) in his hands.  My installer is high volume Avidyne, and a squeaky wheel too.

Tom 
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2015 at 7:14pm
Simpson, referring your response to flybikeski, I don't think the chart is wrong:  doesn't the ADSB-in receiver need to know the current aircraft position so it can center the display and orient the data with respect tot the position of the aircraft? 

Edited by tony - 10 Jun 2015 at 7:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2015 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by tony tony wrote:

Simpson, referring your response to flybikeski, I don't think the chart is wrong:  doesn't the ADSB-in receiver need to know the current aircraft position so it can center the display and orient the data with respect tot the position of the aircraft? 

Why would the ADSB-in receiver need to know anything of the sort?  ADSB-out needs to know position so it can include it in its broadcast.  ADSB-in receiver doesn't need to know anything...it's just going to pass Wx info and traffic targets to some display device, and it's the display device that will have to figure out how to plot the Wx radar and traffic targets on a moving map, along with the ownship icon.
TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 12:03am
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

Is this accurate?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wolf. 

That is correct, regardless of the databus the info comes in on, you can only display one type of data, from one source. Integrating the data from two sources is pretty complicated, and incidentally that is what the 605A will do. Until then, you pick the source.

I still don't understand how you got an MLB100, unless your aircraft is experimental?

* Orest

I thought the -A TAS does not need a separate source of ADS-B traffic, but receives it itself and gives a combined active & ADS-B picture? Otherwise, why should I get the -A?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 12:16am
In this scenario, when the TAS-A is operational, the MLB100 will serve as a ADS-B source for Wx, displayed on the 540. 

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 13 Jun 2015 at 12:16am
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 8:27am
Originally posted by TurboPA30 TurboPA30 wrote:

I thought the -A TAS does not need a separate source of ADS-B traffic, but receives it itself and gives a combined active & ADS-B picture? Otherwise, why should I get the -A?

Yes, that is precisely correct. The -A will pick up direct 1090 traffic and ADS-R on 1090, on its own antenna. All the data, including the active traffic it picks up now, will be merged for a single picture.

The -A does not receive, nor does it need, traffic data from other units, like an MLB100.

If you have an MLB100 and 605A, only the MLB100's weather output will be of any use to you. The one excpetion might be to feed 605A traffic to one device, say the 540, and then for some reason to feed ADS-B (TIS-B) only traffic from the MLB100 to the ASPEN, for example. That would be kind of an odd ball setup.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jun 2015 at 8:48am
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by oskrypuch oskrypuch wrote:

If you have an MLB100 and 605A, only the MLB100's weather output will be of any use to you. The one exception might be to feed 605A traffic to one device, say the 540, and then for some reason to feed ADS-B (TIS-B) only traffic from the MLB100 to the ASPEN, for example. That would be kind of an odd ball setup.

* Orest

That oddball setup would not be good.  The ADS-B transponder tells the ground stations what ADS-B in capabilities you have.  The choices are none, 1090, UAT, and both.  Both means that traffic information can be received on either frequency, not that it must be received on both frequencies.  So at least one of the ADS-B receivers would not see all traffic.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2015 at 4:04pm
Yes, given the current setup, no way to move traffic data reliably to both IN frequency. You'd have to rely on in-aircraft distro to portable devices (if they are 978 only), if you needed 1090 on the panel.

Would be cool if the 540 did the distro, some day.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 4:48pm
Well, my early bird MLB100 is installed/configured, but here's a NEWS FLASH!
Avidyne confirms with my installer that the MLB will not display Wx or Traffic on 540 software is upgraded to v10.1!!

Very dissappointing (again) timing on Avidyne's part - releasing costly hardware, not functional at all until free software upgrade 10.1 is released at some undisclosed future time!

Tom Wolf
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:18pm
Avidyne's relationship with the FAA regarding certification reminds me a lot of Charlie Brown's relationship with Lucy regarding a football.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 5:34pm

Very dissappointing (again) timing on Avidyne's part - releasing costly hardware, not functional at all until free software upgrade 10.1 is released at some undisclosed future time!
Tom,

LOL. The hardware is NOT actually released! As you related, you got an advance box.

In any case, you should be happy, as that let you install everything now, otherwise you'd be in there twice.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Jun 2015 at 5:39pm
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 6:07pm
Well, being optimistic as well... I plan on doing my own upgrade to v10.1 via thumb-drive on 540, to avoid the extra trip.  

Will the software upgrade need an A&P signed log entry though?

Tom 
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 6:11pm

Well, being optimistic as well... I plan on doing my own upgrade to v10.1 via thumb-drive on 540, to avoid the extra trip.  

Will the software upgrade need an A&P signed log entry though?

Tom 

It is my understanding that you need an A&P (although not necessarily an avionics shop) for a sign off. I'm lucky, my shop is right on the field. They slip over to my hanger and do the work so I don't have to worry about it.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 15 Jun 2015 at 6:11pm
Dlesh123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dlesh123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 8:50pm

Well, my early bird MLB100 is installed/configured, but here's a NEWS FLASH!
Avidyne confirms with my installer that the MLB will not display Wx or Traffic on 540 software is upgraded to v10.1!!

Tom Wolf

Well it is actually worse than what you think. The traffic symbology was pulled from the 10.1 software due to difference of opinion with FAA, so all you will get will be weather until the next software release after 10.1.   I think the wifi and Bluetooth were also postponed.
BobsV35B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsV35B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 9:19am

Orest Said: "It is my understanding that you need an A&P (although not necessarily an avionics shop) for a sign off. I'm lucky, my shop is right on the field. They slip over to my hanger and do the work so I don't have to worry about it."

Not sure how the A&P would work, but if it is an installation via STC it needs to have a 337 filed and that can be done by a mechanic who holds an IA.

Old Bob
Old Bob, Ancient Aviator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 10:57am
Avionics software upgrades don't typically require an STC.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 3:59pm

I am installing an IFD-540 in my Cessna 172 and at the same time I am installing wire provisions for an MLX200.  The installation part is done and the airplane is mostly closed up, but I just learned something that I didn't know.

I thought that all of the data from the MLX200 would go to the IFD as serial data.

If I am reading this thread correctly, only the weather (FIS-B) data will flow as serial data (at least initially), and the traffic (TIS-B) data must flow over a 429 bus.

So the problem is that I did not provision 429 wiring, since I thought it would all be on the single serial data port.  It's my mistake, and if it means I have to wait for the traffic data until a future software release, then I am okay with that.

Please tell me that Avidyne at least intends to process all of the data through the serial port at some point?  I understand waiting, and I don't have a problem with that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2015 at 4:20pm

Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

Avionics software upgrades don't typically require an STC.

Technically they do, but they get approved as a data amendment to the STC that installed the equipment originally.

nvpatentlawyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvpatentlawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 2:50pm
I am expecting my IFP440 soon (supposedly this month) to replace my Garmin 430W.  I also have a Garmin GMX200 display and an Aspen Evolution unit.  The question is, can I get an MLB100 or MLX200 to display on any devices besides the Avidyne IPF440? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 4:04pm

The UAT hardware is capable of those interface options, but I do not know if the Avidyne version of the software supports those outputs.

It will be an easier question to answer once Avidyne finishes the traffic interface and publishes that data.

David Bunin

wbennett3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbennett3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 7:04am

I had my Archer pre-wired for the MLB100 when my IFD540 was installed in April.  Checking with my avionics shop, my MLB is in, but he indicates it is not STC'd. 

Can anyone from Avidyne confirm this?  I want to make one stop for the 10.x upgrade and MLB install since the shop is not local.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

Bennett

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 8:00am

My understanding is the MLB/MLX installations are done in accordance with the existing NavWorx STC, since the physical hardware is the same.  All of the approved data relevant to the installation work is the same.  The difference is in the software, setup, and electronic configuration.

David Bunin

mkellock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkellock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 11:02am
Originally posted by wbennett3 wbennett3 wrote:

I had my Archer pre-wired for the MLB100 when my IFD540 was installed in April.  Checking with my avionics shop, my MLB is in, but he indicates it is not STC'd. 

Can anyone from Avidyne confirm this?  I want to make one stop for the 10.x upgrade and MLB install since the shop is not local.

Thanks in advance for any input you have.

We have had our MLB100 sitting on a shelf for a few months now basically with the same issue. We are hoping to get 10.1 installed in the IFD540 next week, as well as the MLB100. Our avionics shop was concerned about the STC as well, but they informed me they had since spoken with Avidyne and would be using the Navworx STC to go ahead.

Thought I might relay our experience in hopes it helps. If all goes well, our Archer will be on 10.1 next week and have the MLB100 installed and at least displaying weather information.
Piper Archer II
PA28-181
Tampa, FL
wbennett3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wbennett3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 2:41pm

Thank you mkellock.  Good to hear I'm not the only one with the issue.

I will update my post when I hear about the STC.

fly safe

Bennett
SB Jim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SB Jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 9:37am
Does the MLB100 provide aural traffic alerts?

If so, what are they like?

E.g., "Traffic, 12 o'clock, 3 miles"?

Or?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 7:33am
The MLB100 has no audio interfaces at all, so it doens't provide any aural alerts directly.

Currently, the IFDs do not provide any traffic-related aural alerts, either.

However, a long time ago there was discussion on this forum where Avidyne said they included a whole bunch of aural alert recordings in the IFDx40 code that were currently unused but could potentially be enabled one day, and some of them were traffic-related.  Whether that ever happens is dependent on Avidyne upgrade plans, FAA cert, etc.
Cyanmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyanmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 3:14pm
I have been told that I will get aural alerts from my MLB100 and AMX240 com panel in my IFD540 system with the next version of updated software. I have 10.1.1 now.  I did have to have a wire installed between the comm panel and IFD 540. FWIW my bluetooth phone stopped working with that last software update.  I know it wasn't supposed to be working yet, but mine did without any attempt to pair it.  It just connected the first time I tried it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Cyanmini Cyanmini wrote:

I have been told that I will get aural alerts from my MLB100 and AMX240 com panel in my IFD540 system with the next version of updated software.   I have 10.1.1 now.
I'll be curious to hear what Steve or Simpson have to say about that.  I don't remember that being announced, and Steve's said more than once he's not going to say what's in 10.2 until it's ready to roll out.

Quote FWIW my bluetooth phone stopped working with that last software update.  I know it wasn't supposed to be working yet, but mine did without any attempt to pair it.  It just connected the first time I tried it.
This statement is very confusing, for multiple reasons.
1) BT devices must be manually paired before they will subsequently automatically link up.
2) There is no mechanism now, nor has there been in the past, for anything other than the BT keyboard to link to the IFD540, and the keyboard only came online with 10.1.1.  Steve has hinted that will change when 10.2 is released.

My guess is that your phone used to be paired to the AMX240 (a function which has worked since the 240 was originally released), and somewhere along the way that linkage was erased.  I bet if you go through the steps to re-pair your phone with your 240, it will behave the way you remember.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
Correct, we don't yet supply aural alerts for the MLB100 Traffic. It's currently slated for 10.2.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flybikeski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:54am

Correct, we don't yet supply aural alerts for the MLB100 Traffic. It's currently slated for 10.2.

The previous poster said "an additional wire was run" to get ready for that.  Just to confirm, that would be normal audio output from the 540, not the TAWS traffic aural output?

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 1:55pm

The previous poster said "an additional wire was run" to get ready for that.  Just to confirm, that would be normal audio output from the 540, not the TAWS traffic aural output?

Thanks!

Yes, the audio output from the IFD540 to the audio panel.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:31am
Originally posted by MysticCobra MysticCobra wrote:

The MLB100 has no audio interfaces at all, so it doesn't provide any aural alerts directly.

Almost true.

The MLB100 does not produce any aural alerts directly, but it DOES have provisions for an audio interface (pins 1 & 20 on the connector).

I went ahead and wired those pins up to a switched input at my audio panel just in case they ever develop MLB software for audio alerts.  (I opted to employ a switched input for the MLB audio because I also expected that there would be traffic alerts eventually in the IFD audio.  So I needed to be able to turn off the MLB.)

In other words, I am provisioned in wiring for both, even though I presently have neither.  (I do get the terrain alerts and other alert audio from the IFD.)

David Bunin

Risky52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risky52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 9:29am
I have just had my MLB-100 connected to the IFD-540 with 10.1.1 and 4.09 (MLB-100) software updates. Initial flight has ghosting right under the aircraft which keeps the Aux button yellow since this other(ghost) aircraft is so  close. I see the same thing on my IPAD with Foreflight. 

Is anyone else having a similar ghosting situation and is there a way to get rid of the ghost aircraft. 

Thanks in advance
Wayne T.
TomH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Risky52 Risky52 wrote:

Is anyone else having a similar ghosting situation and is there a way to get rid of the ghost aircraft.

I'm no expert but I know there's an "Own Ship" configuration in both Foreflight and the MLB100 Console that might help. Your transponder is obviously working (have you contacted and received the FAA report?) but maybe the two receiving devices (Stratus, MLB100) don't know enough to prevent the ghosting.
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:46pm
I've been chasing an issue which I just traced to the MLB100. I have dual 540s, MLB100 and also an Aera 560 GPS in the right side panel inside an AirGizmo doc... quite cool how the 540 outputs the flight plan to the 560.

However recently the 560 stopped working. I use it for XM weather, flight logging and airport data, so it is sorely missed. I chased several potential reasons, but just today sorted out the issue.

Turns out it stopped working when the MLB100 was installed. The GPS signal strength bars now die when the MLB100 is turned on. Pull that breaker and it works fine. The MLB100 is mounted about 3-4 inches from the back of the Aera, which is using its internal GPS antenna, otherwise successfully.

Have there been any studies of spurious emissions from the MLB100? Any other indications of GPS signal blocking? This could become an issue for other in-cabin portable units.

I'm planning to experiment with a remote antenna but would appreciate any thoughts on why the MLB100 has this effect.

Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic