Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > AMX240 Audio Panel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bluetooth Pairing???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth Pairing???
    Posted: 20 May 2015 at 1:09pm

We just installed a new AMX240 in our Cessna 182. I was checking it out on the ground yesterday for the first time.

Neither the installer nor I was able to get it paired with a cell phone using Bluetooth.  We used two different phones. The phones could see the AMX240 but gave an "incorrect code" message. when we tried to pair.  I know that the AMX240 authorization code is supposed to be 0000, but neither phone gave us an opportunity to even enter the code. They just showed the error message as soon as the AMX240 was selected to be paired.

Is there some sort of trick to this? We did not have a headset plugged in. Could that have caused problems? The AMX240 manual doesn't show any setup options. What's going on???

Thanks

Mike

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 2:14pm
Hi Mike,

Try resetting the Bluetooth on the AMX240. Below is an excerpt from the Installation Manual:

"You may simply need to reset the Bluetooth. With the AMX240 turned off, push and hold the NAV 1 and MKR buttons. Turn the AMX240 on. You should hear a tone beep in the headset, indicating the successful reset of the Bluetooth interface. You will need to re-pair any devices"

Let us know if this works.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2015 at 4:33pm

Thanks. We missed that in the installation manual.

We're going out to the airplane tomorrow and I'll give it a try.

Mike

mfb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:24am
Simpson:

Your instructions were close but not quite correct. It turns out that the AMX240 installation manual is wrong.

The correct procedure to reset the Bluetooth is to press the NAV 2 and MKR buttons simultaneously at power-up, not the NAV 1 and MKR.

My technician at Wisconsin Aviation in Madison discovered this by looking in a PS Engineering installation manual.

Now the Bluetooth works perfectly with my cell phone.

Thanks

Mike

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 9:45am
I noticed that, I just recently reset my PM8000, but thought that perhaps they had changed the keys used on the AMX240.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2016 at 9:57pm
Recently paired my iPhone 6 to AMX240 via Bluetooth.  Pairing works, but when I received an unexpected incoming call in flight (random Robo!!) the volume was so loud it really startled me.  I turned down the iPhone volume, but then this was way to low later for normal use...

I need the iPhone Bluetooth on for my Apple Watch - so Is there a way to adjust the AMX240 Bluetooth paired device Audio Volume be adjusted down on the 240?? 

Thanks

Tom Wolf
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:30pm
It doesn't appear so looking through the pilot's guide. I will confirm in the next few days.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 4:33pm
Called PS Engineering who said also there is no external volume adjustment for incoming phone, Bluetooth or otherwise.

However, there is a potentiometer on top of the unit labeled "TEL" that controls all 3 phone inputs: 1)rear unit hardwired Sat-phone, 2)Bluetooth, and 3)front panel telephone plug.

They suggested turning this Pot either CCW or CW from mid-point set point to experiment.  Otherwise, its the iPhone Ringer Volume Adjust which must be varied, depending on whether in aircraft or back in car, etc... A bit of a pain.

Tom W.

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 7:33pm
Followup on Loud Bluetooth phone ring:

1.  Volume POT via top of AMX240 only adjusts phone call volume, not RINGER Volume
2.  iPhone even on Mute/vibrate doesn't stop AMX paired bluetooth loud "ringer"
3.  Re-Pairing AMX & iPhone changed nothing.

So, I am at a loss on how to lower bluetooth paired Ringer Volume in AMX240.  My work around will probably be to turn off pairing unless I need to make a call.  Suggestions welcome.

Tom W.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2016 at 8:48pm
What about switching the phone to airplane mode when not in use on the ground.  In addition, FCC regulations prohibit use of cell phones when airborne, see the link below and the text from FCC regulation:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?rgn=div8&node=47:2.0.1.1.2.8.27.12

Title 47 → Chapter I → Subchapter B → Part 22 → Subpart H → §22.925

Title 47: Telecommunication 
PART 22—PUBLIC MOBILE SERVICES 
Subpart H—Cellular Radiotelephone Service

§22.925   Prohibition on airborne operation of cellular telephones.

Cellular telephones installed in or carried aboard airplanes, balloons or any other type of aircraft must not be operated while such aircraft are airborne (not touching the ground). When any aircraft leaves the ground, all cellular telephones on board that aircraft must be turned off. The following notice must be posted on or near each cellular telephone installed in any aircraft:

“The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is airborne is prohibited by FCC rules, and the violation of this rule could result in suspension of service and/or a fine. The use of cellular telephones while this aircraft is on the ground is subject to FAA regulations.”

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 11:35am
I agree.  I still put my phone into airplane mode prior to engine start.  The last thing I need while flying is somebody to call me during approach to landing.

David Bunin
MarkZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 1:36pm
Hello Dave, this is Mark. Are you busy?
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:13am
Agree, iPhone Airplane Mode is probably the easiest work around - so whats your most common use of bluetooth pairing a phone to the AMX: music in flight?

Tom W.
Ibraham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibraham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 11:32am
Another use for the BT/phone is to obtain IFR clearance over the phone from airfields with no control tower, using the FAA Clearance Delivery phone number 888-766-8267

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:19am
Originally posted by MarkZ MarkZ wrote:

Hello Dave, this is Mark. Are you busy?

Mark?  Mark?  Can you hear me now?  I can hear you, can you hear me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:19am
Originally posted by Ibraham Ibraham wrote:

Another use for the BT/phone is to obtain IFR clearance over the phone from airfields with no control tower, using the FAA Clearance Delivery phone number 888-766-8267

Yes, I have used that feature.  But then I set it back to airplane mode before I take the runway.

David Bunin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 7:21am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Agree, iPhone Airplane Mode is probably the easiest work around - so whats your most common use of bluetooth pairing a phone to the AMX: music in flight?

After you put the phone in airplane mode, you can then turn the bluetooth feature back on by itself.  The phone will not transmit or receive cellular data or calls (and the GPS won't work) but you will be able to play music from the phone over the bluetooth link to the audio panel.

David Bunin

Edited by DavidBunin - 23 Oct 2016 at 7:22am
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 8:31am

Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

[QUOTE=n7ifr]...

After you put the phone in airplane mode, you can then turn the bluetooth feature back on by itself.  The phone will not transmit or receive cellular data or calls (and the GPS won't work) but you will be able to play music from the phone over the bluetooth link to the audio panel.

David Bunin

And if you enable WiFi as well (while still in airplane mode) the internal GPS of the iPhone will continue to work.

Edited by AUXAIR - 23 Oct 2016 at 8:32am
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 10:08am
Both good work arounds to avoid the incoming phone call in Airplane Mode.

Thanks   Tom W.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic