Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ifd540 10.1.0.0 manual/changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ifd540 10.1.0.0 manual/changes
    Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 7:13am
Is 10.1 level manual available yet?

Also, a few months ago you had available a (draft) where you had left changes marked, is such a copy available still?

* Orest
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 7:21am
Orest,

I don't see it in the the download section either, only the v00. I downloaded a copy of the IFD540 draft 10.1 manual when it was made available. If you send me your email address, I'll send you a link where you can retrieve it.

Vince
vfischer@eros.aero
Vince
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2015 at 7:49am
Yes, we posted it the day we got cert.  It's available in the "standard" download location here:   http://www.avidyne.com/support/downloads/ifd-series.asp

It's easy to miss it because I created a new copy altogether so instead of rev bumping it to 01, it was re-issued as a new part number,  600-00300-001.    
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2015 at 7:53pm

I have been reading the paper copy of the 10.1 pilot guide that Avidyne sent me.  I'm on Chapter 4.

I'm not sure if this is considered an Easter Egg, but I noticed that on page 4-36 the User ID is "Jake".  I told my buddy, "Hey, I bet I know who that is!"

David

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 2:55pm
I wasn't there, you can't prove a thing.....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 4:10pm

LOL.

I am almost done reading the manual.  I'm on Chapter 6, and I must tell you that I find it to be extremely well-written.  I write technical documents for a living, so I have a very critical eye for the details. It is obvious to me that a tremendous amount of work went into this publication.

Bravo!

compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 1:36pm
Not seeing a clear answer to the request if the yellow-highlighted 'these are the changes to the document for R10.1' is available. I'd certainly like a copy so I can see what is different rather than trying to find it myself after studying both the old and the new docs.

Thanks.

Also - is there a concise list of what is new in R10.1 - same reason... rather than fly and read a bunch, I'd like to know what's new so I can study that and then fly/try.

Thanks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 2:00pm
There is a concise list of the 54 or so items in 10.1.0.0 update in a few month old thread started by AviJake.

Have a peek.

* Orest

compasst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 3:10pm
Thanks Orest - as I recall, not everything on that list made it into the final release, such as bluetooth keyboard support. I don't know if other items also did not make it into the actual R10.1 release. I'd think that a correct/current list would be a good thing. And maybe a reference to where it is in the manual...
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 7:07pm
I'm pretty sure that BT and Wifi were the only things that didn't make it. I think that AviSimpson updated the post to reflect that.

Everything else is there.

* Orest

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 9:44am
I don't think that ADS-B traffic support made it either, e.g., MLB100.
David Gates
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2015 at 10:09am
Ah yes, indeed, ADS-B TIS-B not displayed yet.

* Orest

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 9:43am
The initial 10.1.0.0 thread contained the list of changes.   Note that support for WiFi and Bluetooth IS in this release - you just can't enable it until the FAA grants an additional approval which is in the works).  AviSimpson did update the list earlier to reflect the ADS-B traffic exclusion but for reference, I've included the list of changes again below (modified to correct ADS-B traffic).  

As for the pilot guide changes, as was evident in the yellow highlighted draft from the winter, there were so many changes that it made more sense to reissue a new doc altogether.    I did not keep the yellow highlights current with all the mods once I decided to reissue a new book.  I will however, look through my files and see if there is a way to give access to the yellow highlight version too for reference.  I'll post an update on this thread based on what I find in the next few days.

Here is a list of most of the externally visible changes in Release 10.1.0.0:

·        1. Standby comm monitor (needs associated HW mod)

·        2. Remote transponder control/display - this allows control and display of the upcoming Avidyne AXP322 remote transponder.

·          3.  ARTCC out to 200nm - change in the Freq List and Nearest algorithm to extend the range of ARTCC freqs in the list (think high altitude aircraft flying in the jet airways)

·         4.  Bluetooth & Wifi -  Bluetooth is 2-way comm with a properly paired external Bluetooth keyboard.  WiFi is initially a 1-way, streaming out of the IFD, capability to certain, to-be-named-later, software apps hosted on mobile/tablet devices.  The two-way capability will follow in trail.   This area will require separate STC approval from the FAA - we split that out of the main STC so as to not hold up the Release 10.1.0.0 STC for both the IFD540 and IFD440.

·         5.  Single row FPL - provides the user with an option to collapse the vertical height of flight plan legs on the FPL to a single row.  This is especially useful in IFD440s where there is less vertical display space.

·         6. All vertical constraints shown and at proper geo spot - expands the current capability by now displaying all vertical contraints visually on the moving map, not just for the next waypoint.  And, if there is a vertical constraint, say, 5 nm prior to the waypoint, the depiction is at that 5nm point, not on the waypoint itself.

·         7.  Option to pull down heading/track box on map - provides moving map setup option to remove that heading box from display.  This frees up (i.e. declutters) the map and might be helpful in IFD440 installations and even dual IFD installations where you have plenty of heading indications as is and may elect to turn it off on one of the displays.

·         8. Airspace aural alerting - adds the user option to turn on aural alerts about impending airspace.

·          9. Rubber band active leg - now permits you to rubber band the active leg in the flight plan.

·         10. ADS-B Wx and traffic - adds support for display of ADS-B In weather data from a MLB100 (new Avidyne box coming out at approximately the same time).  The ADS-B traffic data is not available yet since it requires a higher certification level and will be supported in a future release. 

·         11.  Helo TA and FLTA changes  - improves the altitude and distance triggers for Terrain Awareness and Forward Looking Terrain Alerts in rotary wing aircraft.  No changes to fixed wing, just a more operationally useful set of triggers for rotary wing.

·         12. Other helo optimizations - more helo specific changes such as adding an input from the collective to determine air/ground transitions for transponder state changes, and higher gains in the GPS that are operating underneath a spinning set of rotors, etc.

·         13. FLTA Inhibited/Off message now a blue CAS instead of yellow top strip - moved the FLTA messages off the top strip and into a standard Caution Advisory System message in bottom right corner.

·         14. Volume page is now touch control too - added touch control to the Audio tab on AUX page.

·         15. Headwind component on Air Data calculator - added a specific callout of headwind to that existing calculator page.

·         16. Fuel planner label changes - improved the labeling of the fields on the fuel planning calculator.

·         17. Departure time now takeoff time, not power on time - this applies consistency across all the calculator computations and displays.

·         18. FLTA alert during GPS re-acquisition bug fix - suppresses a Pull-Up, Pull-Up call that could be issued during GPS re-acquisition.

·         19.  Info page realignment - makes some improvements to the map on the FMS INFO tab and to alignment of some of the data windows to be easier to read.

·         20.  TOD when Direct-To IAF - changes the implementation to provide Top-of-Descent capability when proceeding direct to an Initial Approach Fix.

·         21.   Mx Mode entry improvements - automatically jumps to the desired tab in Mx mode (e.g. Download Datalogs wakes up on that tab, Database updates wakes up on that tab, etc).

·         22. GPS software load better status indications - improves the field loadable software efficiency when updating GPS-related parts of the code in the future.

·         23. Obstacles now included in ESA - improved the Emergency Safe Altitude datablock to now also include obstacles in the calculation.

·         24.  Checklists expanded from 30 steps to 50 steps.

·         25. Easy way to reset checklists - added easy ways to reset entire checklist.

·         26.   Scrollable datablocks - added the ability to touch scroll the right side datablocks which also means you can add a lot more datablocks than what you can see at any time.

·         27. Don't need baro input for Vertical speed required and wind vector datablocks.

·         28.  5 custom users - added ability to have up to 5 different and uniquely nameable user setup configurations.  This applies to datablocks, map configurations, checklists, etc.

·         29.  Ability to entry in Flight ID and Default VFR code when have a remote transponder - new entries in User Options page

·         30. 500' callout descending through 500' AGL - added user option to turn on/off the aural "500" call out.

·         31. Sinking tabs option - added user option to allow the bottom strip of tabs to sink down out of view after a designated timeout.  This adds more display real estate and may be helpful especially in IFD440s.

·         32. Approach type in Nav Source knob label - added more detail to the Nav Source label in top right corner.  For example, when you are on a GPS-based approach, instead of just the generic "GPS" label, it will tell you the exact approach type the system is flying (e.g. "LPV" or "LNAV/VNAV" or "LNAV+V", etc)

·         33. VLOC nav source label stays yellow until morse code decoded - designed to give you a little more help in knowing if the system has properly Tuned-Identified-Monitored.

·         34. Sharp intercepts inside the FAF allowed - designed to allow one to still grab glideslope, glidepath deviations on a VFR sharp intercept inside the Final Approach Fix.

·         35. Activate approach changes - tries to improve the algorithm for activating approaches - both Vectors-to-Final transitions and entire published approach.

·         36. Activate VTF changes - ditto.

·         37. LP+V capability added - adds both LP+V approach types and allows Advisory Glideslope ("+V") to work even when system has no air data input.

·         38. Enable Missed changes - provides a user option to have the Missed Approach procedure automatically activate when passing the Missed Approach Point.

·         39. Check Navaid Identifier CAS changes - improves the trigger for that CAS message to also prompt you if you don't have proper nav freq in the system.

·         40. Airspace Ahead CAS message reduction - attempt at reducing nuisance alerts 

·         41.  Save/Restore capability added for Checklists, User Settings, Waypoints, Routes - allows you to save all that user setting data on a USB fob for use on other IFDs or later on the same/replaced IFD.

·         42.  Direct To changes - some subtle improvements to Direct To behavior.

·         43.  Nearest top of list behavior changes - changes behavior to Nearest list such that when you've been off the Nearest page for more than a few seconds, the cursor position will pop back up to top of list (i.e. nearest element)

·         44. Right DCK labeling change - adds more intuitive bottom right knob labeling for the 0.4% of you that actually read those labels.

·         45.  Shadin Fuel Flows now all work - fixes a software issue in which some types of Shadin Fuel Flow systems did not properly display on the IFD.

·         46. Cursor centered mode on map - adds a new mode where the moving map will auto pan to be centered on whatever leg in the flight plan your cursor is on.  This allows for nice long route previewing.

·         47.  Track CDI is now factory default - this was a Maintenance Mode setting that was being set wrong on a number of installations by installers in the field. 

·         48.  Full Nav triangle is now factory default - the Map page Nav declutter setting will default (from the factory) to full on.  You can still change the declutter setting yourselves and that user set value will remain across power cycles.

·         49.  Able to take synchro input for heading - adds this new source of heading to the IFD.

·         50. All IFD440 changes supported - a lot of pages were reformatted to be better optimized for the IFD440 display real estate.  The software knows if its hosted on an IFD540 or an IFD440 at startup and reformats automatically.

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic