Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

540 and 440 Interfacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 540 and 440 Interfacing
    Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 3:29pm
Guys I am posting to get some facts and some opinions.
I currently have the IFD-540 and the 340 transponder.  I am thinking about adding a IFD440 to my panel to give me a little bit of a backup in case of one GPS fails. 
My questions are:
would the 540 and the 440 work together?  I am hearing some rumors that they are having issues, I don't know how true they are.
Would having the 540 and 440 allow anything more then a backup?  I know you could have different screens up at the same time but would they share info?
I have the hardware mod and am getting my 540  updated for the extra radio monitor.  Could I use the 440 for an extra 2 frequency monitors?  the active and the standby like the 540?  I am asking if in effect I could be monitoring 4 frequencies at once?  I know transmitting would be just the one.

Let me know your thoughts on adding the IFD440
thanks

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2015 at 5:14pm
540 and 440 work together very closely and very tightly.  If you have access to the pilot guides, check out the "Dual IFD Operations" section around page 1-36.

Don't know what the rumors of issues are on that front but I suspect that are all false.

A dual box shares tons of info and work in a synergistic manner.  I can brag all day long about that but you can get customers to chime in on that one and speak to it as well.

On the AMX240 audio panel (Doesn't sound like you have one of those), you have both a MON1 and MON2 button.  I don't remember off the top of my head if you can actually have both on at the same time but the two IFDs are capable of sending 4 audio channels out at the same time. I'll have to check.

Edited by AviJake - 15 Jul 2015 at 5:15pm
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
sephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 7:21am
I have a PMA8000BT audio panel.  Would that work?
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 8:46am
I don't know about the PMA8000BT, but it would work with a PMA-450 and the two of them are slide-in interchangeable.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:18am
Originally posted by sephi sephi wrote:

I have a PMA8000BT audio panel.  Would that work?

Yes, it does. I have an 8000BT. You run the monitor channel to one of your switched audio inputs.

* Orest

sephi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 9:50am
so then two could be run to switched audio inputs
one for the 540 and one for the 440?
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 3:51pm
The PMA8000BT has extra switched inputs and should work.  I think the secondary channels will be controlled by the AUX and ADF buttons.  If you already have other devices connected to those inputs you may be out of luck.
Quote the two IFDs are capable of sending 4 audio channels out at the same time
Zaphod Beeblebrox  is a pilot?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm
Now that's a varsity Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference.  Well done.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
comancheguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comancheguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 4:08pm
“The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.” 
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:20pm
So if there was previously a GNS 530W and a GNS 430W and there are now two Avidynes (540/440) will they communicate without any further wiring?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2015 at 6:26pm
Yes
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic