Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dual IFD Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dual IFD Confusion
    Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:10pm

My shop just installed a 540/440 combination (today).  We cannot figure out what we are doing wrong, and would appreciate some help.  Everything works fine and looks great, and I love the new units, Except:

• The two IFDs drive two CDI indicators.  One is a King 55A HSI, the #2  is a LOC/GS/VOR display (mechanical cross-pointer).  The #2 will not display independently, and continuously duplicates what is on the HSI (#1), if both IFDs are powered.  If only the 440 is powered, works properly.
  • If the 540 is set in GPS mode and active, then any attempt to take the 440 and move it to OBS mode, moves both units to OBS.  The only independent mode I can go to on #2 is LOC. 
  • Same for #1.  If I set the 540 to OBS mode, the 440 will follow.  If I set it to GPS mode, the 440 will follow.

What configurations have we missed, or do we just not understand how this works?

Thanks,

David

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
TogaDriver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TogaDriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 3:51pm
I think there is a master/slave relationship between two IFDs.  If they are both set to the same ID weird things may happen.

It looks like section 7.3 of the install manual might help you.

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:35pm
Make sure the dip switches are correctly configured per the manual (see page 82). Additionally, make sure you do a CDI calibration (page 99 to 103).
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:40pm
Thank you for the suggestion, but the shop told me that one was properly configured as unit 1 and the other as 2.  We later pulled the units and verified that, but still no solution
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:46pm
If the dip switches are correctly configured and the CDI has been calibrated then I would suggest talking to our tech support team directly. Their number is 888-723-7592.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 4:53pm

My new installation - as of today! 

Other than a few questions to clear up - and waiting for the 100 to arrive - I am most pleased.

David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:28pm
DIP switches are fine I'm sure.

See the "Dual IFD540s - redundancy question" post about OBS mode behavior.  The short answer is in dual IFD configurations with CrossSync turned on, if you push one IFD into OBS mode, the other will follow.  Same is true when coming out of OBS mode.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:57am

Just curious... Why is that a shared function?  What is the intent or operational benefit?

Edit: Disregard.  I see the answer to my question was posted in the other thread on this same topic.

Edited by DavidBunin - 28 Jul 2015 at 7:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic