Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to Attach a Picture to a Post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to Attach a Picture to a Post
    Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 2:19pm
A number of folks are having a difficult time attaching photos/images to a post.  Hopefully this helps.

This post is made on a PC using Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (but I've done in on several Windows OS's but not 9 or 10 - just haven't tried them yet).

You must use the "normal" reply method and not the "quick reply" method.   That will produce the standard text box to start typing in and a small set of icons above the box.  Click on the icon with the diagonal arrow per the picture below (look for the red circle):

That will give you and expanded set of icons and you want to click the image of the tree that is circled in red in the picture below:

Then click on that tree icon which gives you the following dialog box and you want to click on the "Choose File" button which is circled in red:

By clicking the "Choose File" button, Windows Explorer opens which I use to browse to wherever I've stored the image(s) I want to update.   In my example, I have the picture saved at the PC Pictures folder per the picture below (see circled  picture location):

Once I've selected the desired picture from wherever I have it stashed, I click on the "Upload" button which is circled in red below:

From that point, it should take a few seconds and presto, photo uploaded to the AvidyneLive thread.

Need more examples/information?

Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 3:27pm
Steve,

I have gone through your examples with both Windows 8, and Mac OS X without success.  I am guessing you have different access permissions to the Forum website than the rest of us.

Following your example, I tap the "diagonal" arrow, then the "Tree" icon, but then, there is no choice for "Choosing File" via browsing.

Tom Wolf

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Steve,

I have gone through your examples with both Windows 8, and Mac OS X without success.  I am guessing you have different access permissions to the Forum website than the rest of us.

Following your example, I tap the "diagonal" arrow, then the "Tree" icon, but then, there is no choice for "Choosing File" via browsing.

Tom Wolf

Exactly, I can get to the same dialog box, but you have more options on yours than I do.  I don't have the "Choose File" or "Upload" buttons.  I just tied using Chrome on Windows 7 and 10 and Edge on Windows 10 and they all show me the same dialog box missing those 2 buttons.  I agree that there may be a difference in account settings on the forum.

FYI, this is from this forums help page:
Can I post images?
Images can be added to your posts, if the forum administrators have allowed uploading of images you can use this to upload an image from your own computer into your message. However, if image uploading is not available then you will need to link to the image that needs to be stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.mysite.com/my-picture.jpg.

Edited by brou0040 - 09 Aug 2015 at 4:22pm
DH82FLYER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DH82FLYER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 4:24pm
Same here, I'm using Safari on Mac OS and I also don't have the "Choose File" or "Upload" buttons.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 6:36pm
Ahh, okay - I guess I like super powers....  I'll have the forum admin dude check this out on Monday.  
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Avidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:45am

This appears to be working okay. Tested on a Mac with Safari.  Perhaps there is a "Block pop-ups" preference turned on within your browser?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:55am
Not popup blocker. We now see the problem folks are having and are searching for the magic setting to fix that.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:56am
Apologize for the inconvenience.  We found out what the issue was, and has now been corrected.  All members of this forum should now be able to post their photos without error.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:44am
Thanks Steve.  Tell us what the issue was...

Tom W.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:51am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 9:52am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Thanks Steve.  Tell us what the issue was...

Tom W.

Missing check box allowing permissions for all way down in the bowels of the Admin setup menus.   Must have been North Korean hackers....
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:35pm

We're getting closer, but I get "Error inserting object in current location." when I try it.

Avidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:38pm
David, can you please give me the following info:

• file type
• file size
• browser
• Operating system

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 5:57pm

Grrr.  Now the stupid thing won't let me reply because I've had too much participation online.  Trying again an hour later...

jpg file.  First attempt the image was too large, so I resized it to less than 999 pixels wide. The file size is 193KB.

Windows 7

Internet Explorer 11

I tried to post the error message, which was only 16KB and 334x173 pixels and I got the same thing.  I could upload it, but the error appears when I click OK.

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 6:04pm
Yes, that is a bit annoying (timeout), I often hit it. It usually times out in five or ten minutes.

MODERATORS: Perhaps we could relax that spam protection, just a bit?

* Orest

AUXAIR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUXAIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 8:23pm
Thanks for the hints and improvements.  Now I can post the results of my new Avidyne install two weeks ago,
David E.
Cessna 182 RG II
Avidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:02am
I have altered the "Flood control" setting on the forum.  You should not receive the timeout anymore.  Let us know if you still do, and we'll investigate further.

David, can you please try again and let us know what the error message says?  At this point, I think it is a browser-related issue since others can post.  Perhaps try an alternate browser.

Thank you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:39am

Test failed. 

Within the Image Properties - Internet Explorer window I get a smaller pop-up window that has a banner of "Message from webpage" and the yellow triangle exclamation mark followed by "Error inserting object in current location." and the only click option is a button that says "OK".

The nice thing is that now my pictures (including this error message image) are there on the list in the Image Properties window.  I don't need to upload them again.  I just need to be able to ok-them into a post.

tester View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 8:53am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:03am
Trying from Firefox browser now.

That worked!  Looks like it's an Internet Explorer problem.

Avidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:12am
Hi David

Okay, great to hear.  There's a reason they're phasing out that browser ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:16am
What?  Wait a minute.  You're not going to fix the Explorer problem?  I don't plan to switch browsers just for this web site.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:37am

David, Using my Mac, now no errors.  The 540 sure looks good.

Tom Wolf
Avidyne View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avidyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:39am
Hi David

I've researched this further, and it appears to be specific to Internet Explorer 11.  At this time, for the forum template that we use, they do not have a fix for the problem. Apologies for the inconvenience.  This is direct from their support page:

So far we have spent over 40 hours looking in to solutions to fix this.

Microsoft removed their own RTE code to replace it with standards compliant code. Unfortunately the way they have implemented it that when a window is used it can not input in to the carrot location within the editor.

It is looking that it maybe a case of a total rewrite of the RTE editor to remove all opening windows in order to support IE 11 without using Compatibility Mode. If this is the case it will be many months of development to build a new editor from the ground up.

Many other RTE editors are broken by IE 11 so also keeping an eye to see if anyone comes up with a solution to the problems caused by IE 11's new RTE API.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 4:09pm

Bummer.  I guess I don't need to post pictures very often.  I can switch browsers to do that.   I appreciate your willingness to look into this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 4:11pm

Tom,

What's the red switch to the left of the engine monitor?

David Bunin

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 4:27pm
Red switch is the emergency "Disconnect" for the Aspen PFD & MFD.

Tom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 4:32pm
Disconnect what from what?  (What is the switch label to the left?)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic