Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ForeFlight Integration (response from ForeFlight)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ForeFlight Integration (response from ForeFlight)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ForeFlight Integration (response from ForeFlight)
    Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:32pm
I sent ForeFlight a note today asking if they are planning on interfacing with the IFD boxes.  I mentioned the recent release of the SDK, and suggested a couple of possible features (traffic and weather from IFD to iPad, and Flight Plan upload/download).  Their response is posted below.  A bit disappointing after all of the hinting that third-party development was underway.  I wonder if ForeFlight is just being coy, or if they really haven't done anything with this yet.

Response from Avidyne:
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the feature request. No News on Avidyne integration, but I will pass your request to the Product Management team for their consideration.

Let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with.

Blue Skies,

Mark Lush
Pilot Support Team
**ForeFlight, LLC**

ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 12:52pm
Just to up the intrigue level a bit, would you announce such a feature (e.g., Foreflight, FlyQ, WingX integration) before those features were approved and enabled?

I am not saying that is in the works, but it stands to reason that the developers mentioned above would want to get onboard for the first panel mount with WiFi capability.

It seems to me that the IFD is selling enough that it could quantitatively become a target for developers.

Edited by ddgates - 10 Aug 2015 at 12:52pm
David Gates
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 1:33pm
ForeFlight is the Garmin of the portable aviation GPS / EFB world.  "We work with Stratus only, and Stratus only works with us, and we only develop for iPad, and if you don't like it, that's tough."  That's always been their position.

There are lots of other aviation GPS / EFB products out there besides FF.  I'm sure many of them will be happy to integrate with the IFDs.

Edited by MysticCobra - 10 Aug 2015 at 1:34pm
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 4:40pm
Foreflight is now working with Garmin in addition to Stratus.
brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2015 at 11:07pm
To me it says there is no news, meaning they don't have anything to say, not that nothing has been or will be done.

Although it is interesting that they have publicly stated that they are working with Garmin...

Edited by brou0040 - 10 Aug 2015 at 11:10pm
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:04am
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Foreflight is now working with Garmin in addition to Stratus.

I don't think Garmin is working with Stratus (Appareo)...The integration with ForeFlight is through FlightStream and a GDL88/84. Currently, it's just the "OUT" being sent to ForeFlight. It sounds like flightplan transfer will come at a later date.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 9:14am
Sorry, I never meant to imply that Garmin had anything to do with Stratus (Appareo).

Foreflight was already working with Stratus.
Foreflight is now working with Garmin in addition.

All of which is fine, but I'm more interested in when Foreflight will work with Avidyne.  Looking forward to that day.

David

pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:20am
Foreflight also integrates XMWeather, which I use, so I don't see ForeFlight as the superexclusive vendor that MysticCobra suggests.

Avidyne has teased us for months that they are working with "partners" on WIFI connectivity.  They have repeatedly said that they won't release the info until the Apps are available.  I'm seriously hoping that ForeFlight is one of those partners.

AviJake -- Feb. 23, 2015: 
No, I'm afraid not.  I'd love to spill the beans but our partners are adamant they don't want the info leaking out until it's downloadable and available.

AviJake -- May 27, 2015:
We won't(likely) announce those until the wireless functionality is approved by the FAA since we don't know how long this will still take,and you can download the apps in the various Apps stores (that part is at the request of the WiFi partners)

In the words of Judge Smails, "Weeeell....we're waiting"  (eagerly and anxiously).

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:24am
We have both a pond and a pool.  The pond would be good for you......

Sorry to keep my mouth shut on this but I made a promise and I'm sticking to it.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2015 at 11:26am
I will say however that you won't end up using Maggie's line "Yeah, well tanks for nuthin!"
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2015 at 4:15pm

In addition to the quotes posted above, there was a more revealing conversation at one point.  One member said he was afraid that Foreflight was locked into some kind of contract exclusive with somebody else, and a "have no fear" response was posted.

scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:06am
Any update on this? Can Avidyne say whether there will be integration with FF at some point in the future?
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:11am
At Foreflight's request, we can not say if/what/when the integration will be.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:56am
:) Thanks!

Edited by tony - 28 Aug 2015 at 11:57am
GMSutton View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMSutton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 1:19am
If you care about ForeFlight integration with Avidyne, as I do, I'd suggest that you write the Pilot Support Team at FF. The more of their customers they hear from who would like to see Avidyne integration, the more likely they are to advance it!

Mike

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 10:04am
Agree - I also wrote ForeFlight asking them to their our Avidyne units for wireless (BT/WiFi) flight plan communication.

Tom Wolf
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 12:16pm
I just wrote to FF asking them about integration and here is the response I got:

HI Scott,

No plans to speak of, but I'll add your vote to our list!

Blue skies,

Mark Lush
Pilot Support Team
**ForeFlight, LLC**

I would suggest that anyone who uses this forum write to FF and request that this be made into a project. If you know anyone that uses Avidyne ask them to do the same. 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 12:39pm
Trust me folks - don't sweat this.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
scott View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 12:50pm
OK thanks that's good to hear. I am not so concerned with when, but more with the if. As long as it is on the horizon that's good enough for me. That guy from FF made it seem like they never even considered it which is what concerned me. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 2:47pm

Foreflight doesn't announce or admit to ANYTHING until it's a done-deal and released for use by their customers.  The most you'll ever see or hear from them is a day or two of advance notice when they unveil a feature at an event like SnF or Oshkosh.

I'm content to sit here with my bagel while the two companies do the hard work. There has been more than enough information posted on this forum for me to read between the lines and know what is coming.  People in the know have said far more than I would have expected, and I'm more than satisfied by their hints.

David Bunin

TurboPA30 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboPA30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm
For my part, I would prefer if Avidyne went together wit Seattle Avionics. Their FlyQ is REALLY nice. Leave foreflight for the Garmin folks.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 11:22pm
I don't think that Avidyne has any plans to be exclusive. I expect it will be whoever wants to be a partner.

* Orest

94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 9:23am
I agree with TurboPA30 that FlyQ is a great EFB app.  I really really hope FlyQ is one of the apps that Avidyne is working with on the WiFi/BT connectivity.  I applaud Avidyne for being open to working with whomever wants to partner up. 
safari View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote safari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 10:12am
I talked to FlyQ they said they were working on it. 
Dave
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2015 at 2:44pm
I'm curious- I used FlyQ for my recent DCU-ISM-DCU trip and thought it was just OK. For those of you who prefer it to Foreflight, what do you especially like about it?
94S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

I'm curious- I used FlyQ for my recent DCU-ISM-DCU trip and thought it was just OK. For those of you who prefer it to Foreflight, what do you especially like about it?

PM sent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic