Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GPS integrity loss.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GPS integrity loss.
    Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 5:37pm
Hi guys. Well I have flown for about 150 hours trouble free without loss of gps integrity problems. Until Monday before my ifr checkride. On ils and GPS approaches to KMWL I lost gps integrity no less that 6 times in 40 minutes. And then the day of the checkride, Thursday I lost GPS integrity as soon as I loaded the ils to 31 for KMWL. Almost as soon as I was on the localizer. The problem continued all the way back to the take off airport. With the gps losing and regaining position about 8 times. We ended up cutting the checkride short not wanting to do the gps approaches. And will do the ils and GPS another day. I am running IFD 540. Rev 3. With the 10.0.3 update. I didn't want to change to 10.1 until I had completed the checkride because I was familiar with the set up as it was. But Monday I am headed to the avionics shop for the 10.1 update. Was going to download the logs and send them in so they could be looked at if possible.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 8:55pm
You should have done the update.

* Orest
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:08pm
hindsight always 20/20 :)  ... but again ... had never had any problems with gps until monday and then again today. Guaranteed i would have another 150 hours of trouble free flying ... unless i was taking a check ride !!! LOL
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Don Don wrote:

Hi guys. Well I have flown for about 150 hours trouble free without loss of gps integrity problems. Until Monday before my ifr checkride. On ils and GPS approaches to KMWL I lost gps integrity no less that 6 times in 40 minutes. And then the day of the checkride, Thursday I lost GPS integrity as soon as I loaded the ils to 31 for KMWL. Almost as soon as I was on the localizer. The problem continued all the way back to the take off airport. With the gps losing and regaining position about 8 times. We ended up cutting the checkride short not wanting to do the gps approaches. And will do the ils and GPS another day. I am running IFD 540. Rev 3. With the 10.0.3 update. I didn't want to change to 10.1 until I had completed the checkride because I was familiar with the set up as it was. But Monday I am headed to the avionics shop for the 10.1 update. Was going to download the logs and send them in so they could be looked at if possible.

We are always interested in the logs, however, I think we are likely going to find that Release 10.1 will cure this issue. You can send the logs into techsupport (at) avidyne.com. 

Good luck with the rest of your checkride.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 1:13pm
Thanks Simpson. Just downloaded today and will send them in tonight. I am sure it will to. And I would have updated to 10.1. But the unit literally worked flawlessly until the big day lol. It's Murphy's law man. I got bit lol.
Thanks for the reply.
glassanza View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassanza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 4:50pm
Don't beat yourself up too bad for not updating Don. I waited a while before having my 2 540's updated to Release 10.1 even though I was having the same GPS Integrity Loss issue as well. After the 10.1 update one box has not had an issues, box two has had the same issue on most flights including two occurrences in the air on an instrument fright last Wednesday. When we did the 10.1 update my shop switched the top (bad) box to the bottom tray and the problem moved to the bottom tray so that leads me to believe it is still the 540, not the install. No guarantee release 10.1 will fix your problem. 
GDC25
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Well that's not good at all. I got pretty nervous when it happened and knew it was going to be ok. Just take off hood. In the clouds. That would be totally different. Glad one of them worked good !!!!!!    I just sent the logs to tech support. See what happens. Everything was going great until glide slope intercept. And that's when it started. And kept going for about twenty minutes all the way back to the start airport. Catching signal then losing it. Catching signal then losing it. About ten - 30 seconds in between each occurrence. And again. Had never happened before except once on downwind to KMWL. I think it's the damn airport. 😈😈
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 10:07pm
There are four more recent hardware mods, IIRC two of these address gps issues.

You need to update to 10.1, and if you see any GPS outages then, send in the logs. You may still need some additional hardware mods, support will advise.

* Orest
Don View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2015 at 4:22pm
Thanks Orest. I will definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully the update will fix it. Curious to see what happened the last couple days with the logs I sent. And why it happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic