Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD440 thinks it's a 540

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD440 thinks it's a 540
    Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 9:42am
We now have our dual IFD set up in our plane, with a 540 and a 440. I love the combined operations on the boxes. We were experimenting with running them independently as well as together and are certainly going with together. It is really great!

I did have one issue while running them independently: my IFD 440 booted up as though it were a 540, with the screen sized for the 540 and the top half of all the writing etc missing (as though the software 'thought' the screen was twice the size). A simple reboot fixed it, but wanted to see if this issue was known or common.

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:01am
Known problem. Fixed in Release 10.1.1.0 due out in a few weeks.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 10:09am
Originally posted by ptlevine ptlevine wrote:

We now have our dual IFD set up in our plane, with a 540 and a 440. I love the combined operations on the boxes. We were experimenting with running them independently as well as together and are certainly going with together. It is really great!

I am still on the fence with adding a 440 to my 540... 

How do you switch between 440 synched vs independent?  I understand the flip-flop will be easier with an upcoming software upgrade, but not sure if 10.1.1 vs 10.2, etc.  Share your "dual" vs "separate" experience: What config's with each do you like? 

Thanks.

Tom Wolf
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2015 at 12:48pm
Both of mine still say "Cross Synch Error". Not sure what it is. The 530/430 were set up to crossfill and the dipswitches are set correctly on the 540/440. Also both units are set to Cross Sync.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 9:47am
If you've confirmed that both boxes have the same software version and nav database cycles, then your next step is to have the shop check wiring between the two IFDs.    That message is presented if the units have been configured to talk to one another (like you say yours has) but can not see each other's data.   That would either be because the wiring is flawed or they have incompatible software versions running on each.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:32am
thanks
ptlevine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:49am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

How do you switch between 440 synched vs independent?  I understand the flip-flop will be easier with an upcoming software upgrade, but not sure if 10.1.1 vs 10.2, etc.  Share your "dual" vs "separate" experience: What config's with each do you like? 

Thanks.

Tom Wolf

Tom, I did in the maintenance mode, having started with the boxes as independent, then after a couple of flights, I switched on the interconnect and reloaded the data for the 440 to the Americas coverage I had on the 540 to match the databases for full syncing. 

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2015 at 1:51pm
Thanks for your experience.
I am considering adding a "Dual" unit to my 540 - 440 vs 540...
Besides the obvious issues of panel real estate and a relative small $$ difference,  why go with the 440 vs 540?

Also, I agree it would be nice to be able to flip-flop between synched vs independent GPS units... When synched, is it required that the database is identical in both?

Thanks for any insight.

Tom Wolf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic