Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting with an NGT 9000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2016 at 1:09am
Originally posted by Apiaguy Apiaguy wrote:

I have the Lynx... I have an EX600 and soon to have the IFD540... the 600 displays the traffic from the lynx and I assume will display it on the 540 as the 530 does.
+1 me for more communication between the devices.

It will display it like the 530, that is the problem. If everyone had thier $hit in one sack so to speak, the 540 would correctly display targets. Right now you get no direction on the target and I think it is also lacking some more info.
I know it takes time but potential customers like Gsengle are there for the taking. It would benefit Avidyne to move quickly on this.

L3 has told me they are ready and willing, if they are the problem please let me (and others) know so we can light a fire.
My shop just installed a Lynx in a (I think) Bonanza with twin 540's, mine goes in this week for annual and the Lynx. Next week my buddies 182 with a 540 goes in for a Lynx.
Apiaguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apiaguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2016 at 8:11pm
I have the Lynx... I have an EX600 and soon to have the IFD540... the 600 displays the traffic from the lynx and I assume will display it on the 540 as the 530 does.
+1 me for more communication between the devices.
gsengle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gsengle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2016 at 8:23pm
I would think the people who are installing the L3 Lynx are exactly your customer!  (I have one, and a 530) in my '96 Ovation. I would put in the 540 now if the integration were good.  By all accounts the Lynx unit is very successful, and you'd want to piggy-back on that market - people who are willing to consider solutions other than Garmin. So, please please please, make this integration good, and I'll buy a 540 tomorrow :)
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by skitheo skitheo wrote:

- JPI EDM 830 / 900 GPS data to, fuel data from (I believe this is already implemented)

Yes, that is fully implemented.

Although I can't know first hand, every indication is that good EFB app support is imminent.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 03 Jan 2016 at 12:38am
skitheo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitheo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2016 at 7:47pm
Add my voice to the cacophony clamoring for IFD/NGT9000 integration. I have both of them going in to my plane very soon, and would like to see weather and traffic simultaneously. 

While we're at it: 
 - Android EFB integration for flight planning exchange, GPS data, etc.
 - JPI EDM 830 / 900 GPS data to, fuel data from (I believe this is already implemented)
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2015 at 10:03am
Working on it but moving at about the pace of frozen pond water.  Don't know how it will turn out at this point.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2015 at 11:07pm
How's the communication with L3 ? Getting a jump on this before the 530 folks do would be a plus ! My 9000 is at the avionics shop, waiting on me now.

Edited by Bad1996 - 25 Dec 2015 at 11:08pm
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2015 at 12:17am
L3 says it will work too but won't display the latest/best ADSB symbology (currently) I have a pic of it displaying on a G box and both have the altitude related to your aircraft but the G is not showing direction of the traffic, 9000 box is showing direction. When I say direction, I'm speaking of the 9000 having the arrow symbol compared to the little square on the G.

Edited by Bad1996 - 10 Nov 2015 at 12:19am
clydeps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clydeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 4:36pm
I have an NGT9000+ installed with dual GNS430Ws and EX5000C MFD. I get traffic on all of these from the NGT just as I did from the Skywatch installed previously. ADS-B targets are displayed (if in range) but without the additional data i.e. callsign, track and groundspeed, that is shown on the NGT.

I see no reason why the IFDs won't work the same as the 430s in this respect. The NGT just looks like Skywatch, which is supported.

The NGT already sends the additional ADS-B data in ARINC 735B DTIF packets, so hopefully at some point Avidyne will implement that. In the meantime it's perfectly usable.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2015 at 10:02am
We are engaged with L3 on the topic.  There are a number of issues still to work through so it's not clear when and if we'll have this all worked out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
Bad1996 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bad1996 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

Currently, the IFD's do not communicate with the Lynx system. It could be something that we add in the future but it hasn't been discussed on the road map as of late. I will add it to the feature request list if it hasn't been done so.

Please do. I'm ready to do the Lynx box but I also want it to display (correctly) on my 540. One reason I went 540 is because it was supposed to talk to everyone else's boxes.......or will in the future. My avionics guy said it would now but I was wondering if it would be just the limited data like the post above talks about. Thanks
pilotgeek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilotgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by frank27 frank27 wrote:

- The NavWorx ADS600-B web site speaks of an Arinc 429 option to allow ADS-B data to be viewed on the Garmin 400/500 series and Avidyne EX500 boxes.  That implies that the Garmin boxes understand Arinc 429 messages which are carrying ADS-B data.

- The IFDs are supposed to be slide-in replacements with all the interfaces on the Garmin 400/500.
- The L-3 NGT-9000 generates Arinc 429 messages.

I seem to recall that the IFDs are not yet actually doing ADSB traffic.  Rather they receive ARINC 735 traffic via ARINC 429.  As it happens, that is what the NGT series outputs as well (because that is the [legacy] ARINC standard for traffic).  You would need to check the NGTs STC to see if it is a legal connection though.

Note that all of the neato ADS-B traffic features will probably be missing on any 735 box, as the required symbology falls short of what can be done with ADS-B (vector, speed, etc).

Regards,
Neal
frank27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frank27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 4:23pm

Thank you for responding.

I was curious because there is a progression that would appear to make the answer, "yes":

- The NavWorx ADS600-B web site speaks of an Arinc 429 option to allow ADS-B data to be viewed on the Garmin 400/500 series and Avidyne EX500 boxes.  That implies that the Garmin boxes understand Arinc 429 messages which are carrying ADS-B data.
- The IFDs are supposed to be slide-in replacements with all the interfaces on the Garmin 400/500.
- The L-3 NGT-9000 generates Arinc 429 messages.

I don't know enough about Arinc 429 label compatibility, but in a round-about way I thought it would just work magically, out of the box.

Back to reality.  :(

AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 4:01pm
Currently, the IFD's do not communicate with the Lynx system. It could be something that we add in the future but it hasn't been discussed on the road map as of late. I will add it to the feature request list if it hasn't been done so.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
frank27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frank27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:32am

Can the IFD 440/540 accept (and display) ADS-B traffic and weather data from the L-3 Lynx NGT-9000?

If not currently, are there plans to add that functionality in the future (which can be discussed here)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic