Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MEA for Victor Airways

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEA for Victor Airways
    Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 11:44pm
On long X'country today, trying to learn all possible 540 functions so as to depend less on ForeFlight... 

I was unable to find any reference in the 540 to Victor Airway MEA's.

What am I missing?  There must be some source:  tried tapping the airway, looking in info, etc, etc.  In the end, had to reference ForeFlight low enroute maps (ugh!!).

Tom Wolf

Edited by n7ifr - 23 Oct 2015 at 11:44pm
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:07am
I don't think airway MEAs are available in the Jepp data.

* Orest

n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 7:10pm
Jepp Data shows MEA's on low enroute maps ("free" on ForeFlight with Jepp data subscriptions), but not on the Jepp Charts on IFD540.

I couldn't find MEA's anywhere on the 540....

Tom W 
PA20Pacer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA20Pacer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2015 at 9:31am
Originally posted by n7ifr n7ifr wrote:

Jepp Data shows MEA's on low enroute maps ("free" on ForeFlight with Jepp data subscriptions), but not on the Jepp Charts on IFD540.

I couldn't find MEA's anywhere on the 540....

Tom W 

Hi Tom-

Here are a couple of observations regarding Jeppesen data on various devices. I welcome correction if I am wrong.

1. My subscription to Foreflight shows FAA enroute charts, not Jeppesen enroute charts. As expected, they do include MEAs. If there is a way of displaying Jeppesen charts on Foreflight, I would like to hear about it.

2. The "Jepp Charts" displayed on the 540 with the Electronic Charts subscription are terminal procedures charts, not enroute charts. Thus, they would not be expected to display MEAs. It would be nice if Jeppesen enroute charts could be displayed on the 540; I do not know whether Jeppesen makes them available as georeferenced files for that purpose.

3. The Jeppesen Navdata database (which is a separate subscription from the Electronic Charts) does not appear to include MEAs, MOCAs, MRAs, etc.

At this point, it does not appear that there is a Jeppesen database product that includes MEAs that is readily available to Avidyne or other GPS manufacturers.

Regards,

Bob
Bob Siegfried, II
Brookeridge Airpark (LL22)
Downers Grove, IL
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 11:45am
While we don't have MEA's since that is a Low Enroute chart feature and not in the NavData, we do/can display MSA's. The MSA is defined as 1,000' above the highest terrain or obstacle in a 10nm rectangle around ownship position. 
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by AviSimpson AviSimpson wrote:

While we don't have MEA's since that is a Low Enroute chart feature and not in the NavData, we do/can display MSA's. The MSA is defined as 1,000' above the highest terrain or obstacle in a 10nm rectangle around ownship position. 

Yeah, I think I asked about MEA's a couple weeks ago after running into this same problem when going to Colorado.

What sucks is being on an Airway (which it does display) and then needing to pull out the old iPad to lookup the MEA for that segment using Jeppesen's software which is not the raw chart just digital data.

I would think if you are going put airways on a unit it should posses the data associated with the airway which includes the MEA and MRA.  Tapping the desired airway segment should just throw up a pop-up box with the data in it.

Edited by roltman - 26 Oct 2015 at 2:41pm
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 4:48pm

Quote I would think if you are going put airways on a unit it should posses the data associated with the airway which includes the MEA and MRA.  Tapping the desired airway segment should just throw up a pop-up box with the data in it.

Makes sense to me, but who do we pressure?  Avidyne or Jeppesen?

To be fair, I choose my altitude strategically when I am planning the flight, not tactically while in flight.  So I don't know how often having that data (or not having it) would have made any difference to me.  Once airborne, I am more concerned with the winds and if I should go higher (not lower).

brou0040 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brou0040 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by DavidBunin DavidBunin wrote:

Quote I would think if you are going put airways on a unit it should posses the data associated with the airway which includes the MEA and MRA.  Tapping the desired airway segment should just throw up a pop-up box with the data in it.

Makes sense to me, but who do we pressure?  Avidyne or Jeppesen?

To be fair, I choose my altitude strategically when I am planning the flight, not tactically while in flight.  So I don't know how often having that data (or not having it) would have made any difference to me.  Once airborne, I am more concerned with the winds and if I should go higher (not lower).

It makes a big difference when there is a pirep of ice ahead of you at your altitude and you wonder if you can descend on your airway or need to decide to change your route.  Deteriorating conditions and picking up IFR enroute is another.
pburger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pburger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 10:43pm
If you're fliying IFR you better have current charts (paper or electronic) with you.  I agree it would be nice if the box could tell you the MEA at any point along the route, and I'm surprised it doesn't, but this box is not a replacement for charts.
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 7:18am
Not sure anyone asking for this data has said they didn't have it elsewhere in the plane.  They said they were hoping it was front-and-center along with all the other useful data on the IFD so they wouldn't have to look elsewhere for it.
roltman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roltman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 8:40am
My scenario was I joined V244 over PUB to HBU.  MEA goes from 7000 to 16000 over the course of a ~20nm and 5 fixes. I'm not turbo'd there was a layer there, so I just was trying to base my accent based on current atmospheric conditions and winds after being aloft for 3hrs that layer wasn't supposed to have existed when I departed.  Bad on me for assuming I had that data at my finger tips when I departed.

Yes, I keep charts with me on my phone and the Jepp app on the iPad which I used.  At first I was thought I couldn't find it in the IFD, now I'm annoyed that my $1276 didn't put that little trivial nugget of data in the IFD.

Maybe it'd require a full redesign to add it, or maybe it's just trivial addition. If it's the latter, I'd like to see it happen. I'm just throwing out suggestions for improvements.
n7ifr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n7ifr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 12:14pm
Lots of us that would like MEA's and such info at our fingertips on the IFD540.
When I was using my G----- stuff (GNS480 and the old MX20, and for that matter, the new GTX200), this low enroute info was built in by Jepp.

Seems like the Low Enroute portion of a Jepp IFR subscription for the 540 would be pretty easy for the programmers (Avidyne and Jepp) to upgrade and add to our "Chart"-Map screen - probably a lot more of us would subscribe to Jepp on the 540 (as opposed to NACO on ForeFlight or Aspen MFD Approaches).

Just saying...

Tom Wolf
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic