Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KSN770 IFD540 comparison?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote compasst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KSN770 IFD540 comparison?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Does anyone know of a comparison of the KSN770 with the IFD540? One of my IFR students is really impressed with my IFD540. His Turbo C182T came with full King avionics including a passive 5" display. He's considering upgrading to the KSN770 and giving up his pre-release IFD540 slot due to, in part, perceived financial savings. I'm wondering if the KSN770 approaches the IFD540 in features, functions, and usability. It's entry-level price is attractive, but I think the overall cost of installation, features, options, data subscriptions, and the like still favor the IFD540. 

Any thoughts or articles or comparison charts available?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 11:26am
In my view, that would be a bad idea. The KSN770 is pretty good, but the UI is kind of clunky, and it is not as feature rich. I think he would be unhappy with it, after seeing what the IFD540 could do.

There is a flash training demo of the KSN770, as well as an iOS app and PC simulator. Why doesn't he, himself, have a look at that and read through the PG. Best thing is to see it at a trade show, of course.

It is aggressively priced, but if you take that difference, and divide by say, 12 years of operating life, the difference in price becomes largely a non-sequitur.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 31 Oct 2015 at 12:03pm
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 11:53am
Originally posted by compasst compasst wrote:

Does anyone know of a comparison of the KSN770 with the IFD540? One of my IFR students is really impressed with my IFD540. His Turbo C182T came with full King avionics including a passive 5" display. He's considering upgrading to the KSN770 and giving up his pre-release IFD540 slot due to, in part, perceived financial savings. I'm wondering if the KSN770 approaches the IFD540 in features, functions, and usability. It's entry-level price is attractive, but I think the overall cost of installation, features, options, data subscriptions, and the like still favor the IFD540. 

Any thoughts or articles or comparison charts available?

How does he not have his pre-release IFD540 by now? I thought they were all delivered in early 2015.
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 4:18pm
Please don't take this post as a Bendix King bashing post, it isn't intended to be.

The largest issue with the KNS770 in my opinion is that it's hard to tell if Bendix King is serious about being in the GA market and they don't have a complete offering.  It is hard enough to get other manufacturers to talk to Avidyne equipment and I feel that Bendix King doesn't have the resources to make things work.  They discontinued their PFD after very limited sales so it is hard to have faith that they'll be able to continue to provide products and updates.

And, the box is not nearly as feature rich and easy to use as the IFD540.
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 9:00pm

[/QUOTE]

How does he not have his pre-release IFD540 by now? I thought they were all delivered in early 2015.
[/QUOTE]

So did I.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic