Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In case of alternator failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In case of alternator failure
    Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 10:18am

In an attempt to pre-plan such an event as an alternator failure, I wanted to discuss electrical load shedding with an IFD540 installed.  I also have a KX155 navcom and of course a handheld.

How does the IFD 540 compare with a dedicated transceiver such as the KX155?  I could use the iPad for navigation in an emergency so really don't need the GPS.  If I needed the RNAV approach capability, I could cycle it on later. Does booting up the IFD use a lot of power going through its checks, is it better to just leave it on?  Are there features within the IFD 540 that can be turned off to preserve power in any meaningful manner (for example does it save that much by turning the brightness way down)?  I also have the AXP340 transponder, which I would turn off in cooperation with ATC.  Perhaps you could comment on the AXP 340 as well.

Hopefully you can get the gist of my question. I realize it's kind of an open-ended question but don't want to go down the rabbit hole of dual alternators etc, just wanted to keep it a discussion of what alternatives do I have to cope with an electrical failure.

Thanks

DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 3:26pm
Dimming the screen does save a meaningful amount of power.  This is one of the things the IFD does by itself in case of low voltage.

I think your best bet to maximize electrical minutes (assuming safe visual navigation is possible) is to turn everything off, and then turn one radio (the KX155) on when you are ready to talk and land.

I would not use a transponder or autopilot.  Those both consume more power than you'd think.

David Bunin
paulr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 7:28am
Good point re the transponder-- lots of folks don't realize that transponders are nominally rated at 250W transmit power, and that they can be a significant drain. Depending on location and circumstances, I might suggest squawking 7600 instead of just turning the transponder off altogether. It will drain the battery faster but it will also clearly signal ATC what's going on.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 8:58am
Originally posted by paulr paulr wrote:

Good point re the transponder-- lots of folks don't realize that transponders are nominally rated at 250W transmit power, and that they can be a significant drain. Depending on location and circumstances, I might suggest squawking 7600 instead of just turning the transponder off altogether. It will drain the battery faster but it will also clearly signal ATC what's going on.

... and then in five/ten minutes you could turn the transponder off if need be, the message would have gone out.

* Orest

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic