Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Garmin transponders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Garmin transponders
    Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 10:17am
Garmin has announced quite an attractive new ADS-B/transponder/AHRS device, the GTX345. On Beechtalk a Garmin representative said they are planning to make their protocol for traffic and weather public. Will Avidyne implement these devices as data sources?
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2016 at 10:58am
I think it's way to early to tell since they were only announced last week. We have a lot of plans for our ADS-B road map for 2016.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
kenr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:32pm
Will the IFD540/IFD440 be able to receive AHRS data from a GTX345 ( then pas through wifi to Foreflight?

I know I can connect GTX345 to FF but then cannot cross file from FF to IFD540.

Currently have WX and traffic from GTX345 to the IFD540 then to Foreflight - but no AHRS data.
As I understand it the IFD540 only receives the WX and traffic data stream but not AHRS.

Are there plans to enable this capability in the future.

rangerb3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangerb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:06am
I'm wondering if the GTX345(R) can be controlled from the IFD540 like the AXP322?
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by rangerb3 rangerb3 wrote:

I'm wondering if the GTX345(R) can be controlled from the IFD540 like the AXP322?

No it cannot.

However the Lynx NGT-9000, both standard and remote, CAN be controlled by the IFD, just like the AXP322 remote.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 01 May 2020 at 12:42pm
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:18pm
... typical Garmin proprietary protocol

I understand the uAvionix is open (working?) to having their new tailBeaconX controlled by the IFD series similar to the AXP322, as an alternative to the AV-20/AV-30 control head. Don't know to what extent Avidyne and uAvionix are in communication on that.

For Canadian pilots, that would be a super alternative since it would meet the upcoming TC ADS-B diversity requirement and save panel space, at a very attractive price point by just replacing the rear nav light.

Vince
rangerb3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rangerb3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:22pm
This may be some good news for those looking for a remote solution....

Not good if your wanting a "complete" setup that can give weather & traffic onto your IFD...and with no Wifi during flight modes, it also won't be able to send traffic or weather to your favorite PFD app!

That definitely makes it a, "no go" for me!

Edited by rangerb3 - 01 May 2020 at 8:29pm
Aerochip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aerochip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:49pm
Foreflight to IFD is a WiFi connection and allows for flightplan transfer. ForeFlight to GTX345 is Bluetooth and transmits traffic and weather AND AHRS.

Edited by Aerochip - 01 May 2020 at 8:50pm
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 9:06pm
My IFD sends traffic and weather to Foreflight over WiFi. The IFD gets the iNformation from an MLB100/Skytraxx receiver over a wired connection. It might be that the IFD can retransmit the ADS-B information from other sources wired into it over ARINC 429. Any comments from Avidyne? Could data from say an NGT9000 make it to an iPad over WiFi for the IFD, without needing WoFi on the transponder?
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

Could data from say an NGT9000 make it to an iPad over WiFi for the IFD, without needing WoFi on the transponder?

My IFD receives traffic and weather from my Lynx NGT9000 via a wired connection, and sends that same info via a wifi connection to my iPad, where the traffic and weather from the Lynx is displayed in my ForeFlight app.  Works great.
HenryM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HenryM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 7:29pm
That is how I assumed it could work. This can resolve the MGT9000 WiFi issues that I've read about. Just bypass it altogether. 
Catani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:13am
Originally posted by HenryM HenryM wrote:

That is how I assumed it could work. This can resolve the MGT9000 WiFi issues that I've read about. Just bypass it altogether. 

Yep.  Using the IFD's wifi is a better alternative to the NGT9000's unreliable wifi, which is a separate external optional unit.  That module doesn't seem to work well for long, in many cases. 

The NGT9000 itself works great.  Too bad the engineers who designed it did not include integral wifi capability, like Avidyne's engineers did with the IFD.
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:01pm
I have the same setup as you, but I do NOT get traffic and weather on FF when I have the IFD 100 running in the background on the same IPad.  As soon as I quit close the IFD 100, traffic and weather resumes on FF.   I know many others experience this also and it seems Avidyne is aware of it and hopefully with be corrected in the next IFD 100 release.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic