Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Charts Data

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charts Data
    Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:17am
I now have two 540s. Do I need to buy two subscriptions to charts? I installed the update on one and when I tried the same USB fob on the second, it gave me an error saying chart data has been used or something like that. The Nav and Obstacles were installed fine on both.
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:36am
No. Avidyne have negotiated a deal with Jeppesen where you can use one charts subscription on an unlimited number of Avidyne devices in the same airplane. Make a copy onto a second fob before you install them. Also allows you to save time by doing parallel updates.
sikhpilotmd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 9:39am
So you are suggesting making a copy from the first fob to another and taking them both to the plane.
Because as soon a you download the data from JSUM on to one fob, its not available for re-download. 
Or download to your hard drive and copy it from there to two USB fobs. Am I on the right track?
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2014 at 10:14am
I don't know about charts cuz I get them on my Aspens.

I do know I was able to update both 540s in terms of navdata from 1 FOB.

Charts may be different?
David Gates
jhbehrens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhbehrens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 6:20am
Originally posted by sikhpilotmd sikhpilotmd wrote:

So you are suggesting making a copy from the first fob to another and taking them both to the plane.
Because as soon a you download the data from JSUM on to one fob, its not available for re-download. 

Correct

Edited by jhbehrens - 01 Jan 2015 at 6:22am
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 10:36am
I'd love to see the exact error you are getting in JSUM with respect to the charts.  Able to grab a screenshot or take a digital picture yourself?

The Jepp bundle package through Jepp is absolutely supposed to let you pay one price/subscription that works for all the Avidyne boxes in your airplane.  This is supposed to enable you to use two FOBs for two IFDs simultaneously.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 1:33pm

Steve, I called Jepp myself getting ready for my install to be complete and I can tell you that they really no idea what they are doing.  I asked a bunch of questions for clarifications on what their website was trying to sell me and the answer was I don't know. 

So given that and  as you articulated we are stuck with Jepp, might I suggest that we be able to buy our Data subscriptions through Avidyne?  That way you will know that we are getting the pricing you negotiated, we will all know the pricing will be correct, you'll make a little profit, and we will all feel more comfortable. 

AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 1:36pm
I'll discuss that internally but first a few tactical questions for you:

1.  Despite the less-than-impressive experience you had, did it all finally get resolved or is your subscription still screwed up or possibly so?

2.  Do you know the name of the phone rep you used?   This would help in the next feedback session we have with Jepp.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 1:42pm

Since, my aircraft is still in the shop and the guy clearly didn't know, I decided to end the call.  I figure you'll get it sorted out by the time I need a subscription. 

:)

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 2:38pm
TONY ...

I just have to ask, is your cool avatar just a random image (a la ink-blots), or does it represent something?

Kind of looks like a angry butterfly!

* Orest

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2015 at 4:02pm
When I created this account, that's the image that Steve gave me..............  :D
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2015 at 10:33pm
So back to square one. I tried to update both 540s with usb fobs well I couldn't. 
Got an error about the number of activations exceeded. I called Jeppesen tech support. &-the_Rep-told-me it Was not possible to use one subscription for two units. He said "think about it.
 If we allow that someone could use this to update their entire fleet". 
i will need someone from Avidyne to sort it out for me.
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 4:59am

why are we stuck with Jepp again?  Its just a data chain cert.....which shouldn't be that hard and the vendor would do it.

I'll be quiet now

oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 8:56am

So back to square one. I tried to update both 540s with usb fobs well I couldn't. 
Got an error about the number of activations exceeded. I called Jeppesen tech support. &-the_Rep-told-me it Was not possible to use one subscription for two units. He said "think about it.
 If we allow that someone could use this to update their entire fleet". 
i will need someone from Avidyne to sort it out for me.

Is it Jepp's JSUM software that is giving you that notice as you are trying to load up the USB key, or is it the IFD540 giving an error message during the software update with the USB key plugged into the IFD540?

If is it JSUM, then that is normal. You can only download it once. But, you can then use that downloaded data, on that single USB key, to update both units. I have accomplished this with no issues.

If you wanted to update both units simultaneously, using their own respective USB keys, then download (with JSUM) to one USB key, then using your computer just copy the data files to the second USB, then off you go.

If it is the IFD540 giving you that error message, that would be weird.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jan 2015 at 8:59am
teeth6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 1:15pm
I have 2 sets of download on my JSUM site (one for each 540).  It is not necessary to copy the info from one FOB to the other.  I download from JSUM onto one FOB and then repeat the process with the other available download onto my other FOB.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:28pm
After I download the data from JSUM, it is not available again until the next cycle.
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:30pm

After I download the data from JSUM, it is not available again until the next cycle.

Yes, that is normal, and not a problem for you.

But, the data does NOT disappear from the USB key, when you use it to update a unit. You can that same copy on the USB key again in the second unit, without downloading anything else. Just pull out the USB key from the first unit after the update, slip it into the second unit, and upload again.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jan 2015 at 2:31pm
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikhpilotmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 2:46pm
It does not disappear, but I think it writes to the USB fob which tells it that the data has been used. On the next unit, I get an error about licenses exceeded. I just called Jeppesen and they will forward this to their technical dept to look into it.
On Sunday, their Tech support guy even said " Think about it. If we allow that, someone could use one USB for all their planes".
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 3:33pm

It does not disappear, but I think it writes to the USB fob which tells it that the data has been used. On the next unit, I get an error about licenses exceeded.  ....

Because of maintenance issues, I have personally uploaded the same Nav/Obstacle/Chart data download to three different IFD540 units with no issues. There is no such modification of the data file on the USB key.

I have no explanation as to why you might be seeing something different.

* Orest

Edited by oskrypuch - 13 Jan 2015 at 3:34pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:53pm
I believe that the Jepp database is tied to your aircraft registration number.  In the IFD540, in the maintenance mode, there is a single field where your aircraft registration number must be installed.  I believe the two (Jepp database and IFD540) need to match for the database to be installed.  My memory might be wrong and this may have just been an early on test requirement, but I think it is still valid.
ddgates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddgates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2015 at 6:56pm
I just dealt with this as a matter of fact today.

If you buy a single navdata subscription, you can update both IFDs with the same FOB.

However, the support supervisor told me today that for charts, etc, you can use one subscription for two units but they have to enable multi unit loads on their end.

Not sure how it is done internally.
David Gates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic