Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD > Aerocruze 100 VNAV

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnAJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD > Aerocruze 100 VNAV
    Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 2:29pm
Aerocruze 100 (Trutrak Vizion 385) and Avidyne IFD540

I had the Aerocruze 100 autopilot installed last winter, and haven’t always been able to change my selected altitude while in GPSS mode, and when it wouldn’t allow me to change it I just settled for SVS 0 mode instead.

as

I’ve now figured out why. When the Aerocruze is in GPSS and there is an altitude assigned to the next waypoint of an IFD active flight plan, the Aerocruze will place that altitude in the SEL box and won’t allow it to be changed, such as the 3,500’ target at the first waypoint, KCQF, below. In this case, the Aerocruze SEL box will contain 3500, and cannot be changed manually with the Aerocruze KNOB.

2024-07-08_111816

In the above flight plan the approach waypoint altitudes starting at RUPQE are prefilled in of course, and the autopilot GPSV mode flies them as expected. But I added the 3500’ to the KCQF waypoint as a test, and it is recognized by the Aerocruze and its SEL box is populated with 3500.

So for me, when in GPSS and there is an altitude associated with the next Avidyne waypoint, if you want to change altitude you have no option other than to change that waypoint’s altitude in the IFD FMS, since you can’t change it on the Aerocruze head.

I have a Dynon PFD, so ignore the GPS/PFD selector switch below, and you’ll see my IFD is connected to the Aerocruze with 429 A&B lines as per the STC.

07-08_111105

Is this Enroute Vertical Navigation that supposedly isn't possible unless you have a Garmin GTN connected to a Garmin autopilot? I’d like to get confirmation that this is normal operation from others with an IFD and Aerocruze 100.

Edited by JohnAJohnson - 08 Jul 2024 at 3:23pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 4:13pm
Are you on software version 10.3.1.2?  If so, turn off Enroute VNAV and the selected altitude should behave as you expect.

Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
JohnAJohnson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnAJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2024 at 6:19pm
I am on 10.3.1.2, Steve.  Thanks!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnAJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2024 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Are you on software version 10.3.1.2?  If so, turn off Enroute VNAV and the selected altitude should behave as you expect.

Steve, how do I turn off Enroute VNAV?  I have a 540, 10.3.1.2.
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2024 at 7:23am
It's a setting in maintenance mode on the Main System Config page.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnAJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:59pm
Yep, turned it off on the IFDs settings and now I can control altitude from the Aerocruze head.  But I can see where VNAV would be very valuable.  If only the Aerocruze had a VNAV button or a way to toggle it on and off.

Edited by JohnAJohnson - 18 Jul 2024 at 8:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic