Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD Database updates with USB 3.0

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD Database updates with USB 3.0
    Posted: 15 Jul 2024 at 1:49pm
Has anyone been able to successfully update their IFD with a usb 3.0 flash drive? I already have one that I can configure to FAT32, but if it’s incompatible I’ll get a 2.0. Reason I’m asking, rather than trying, is my plane is still in the shop. I would like to be prepared with the correct usb when it’s out. Cheers
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2024 at 6:30pm
USB3.0 thumb drives are supposed to be backward compatible so in a perfect world it will work fine as long as the thumbdrive is formated as FAT32 and that you are using MBR and not GBT which WindoZe likes to throw in there occasionally.

Keep in mind that the database updates are quite small, for the North America databases, the obstacle database is 1.3MB and the Navigation database is 14MB which means just about any thumbdrive you find will work, I've used 512MB drives before with no issues.

-PA
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 7:28am
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

... and that you are using MBR and not GBT which WindoZe likes to throw in there occasionally.
^^^You can completely ignore this, since you are not trying to boot Windows or Linux on your IFD.  (And it's GPT, not GBT.)

Short answer:  Pretty much any USB drive that is formatted in FAT32 will work.  As PA32 said, the files are relatively small (if you're not doing a terrain update, anyway--I think that file's pretty big but I don't know how big since I only did it once about 9 years ago).
PA23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PA23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 8:32am
actually you cannot, the Avidyne needs to see it as a MBR partition table otherwise it will reject the thumb drive as invalid.
IanJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2024 at 9:16am
I spoke with Avidyne and didn’t get a clear answer of than “it should work.” When my plane is out of the shop, I’ll give the 3.0 a go and follow up to confirm whether or not it works. 
MysticCobra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MysticCobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2024 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by PA23 PA23 wrote:

actually you cannot, the Avidyne needs to see it as a MBR partition table otherwise it will reject the thumb drive as invalid.
The point is that if you plug the USB stick into a Windows machine and format it as FAT32 using the Format option in File Explorer, the question of MBR vs GPT doesn't ever come up so the OP doesn't have to worry about it.

Edited by MysticCobra - 21 Jul 2024 at 11:11pm
Gring View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:41pm
I can confirm that I use USB 3.0 sticks to update my two IFDs
IanJay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2024 at 7:46pm
Great to hear. Looking forward to finally getting my hands on it when it’s out of the shop
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic