Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IFD w/10.3.x, Stratux, Foreflight, Traffic?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IFD w/10.3.x, Stratux, Foreflight, Traffic?
    Posted: 21 Aug 2024 at 11:02pm
I've read... well, probably too many, forum postings that range over several years on this topic and I'm left a little puzzled.

I have an Avidyne IFD-540 with 10.3.x (updated 2 weeks ago). I have it configured to connect to my Stratux Wifi network. And that works well.

I have an iPad running ForeFlight and it connects to the Stratux network too. That works well. I can see traffic on the iPad from the Stratux AND I can communicate with the IFD. Great.

What I don't have and thought I could get was traffic from the Stratux to display on the IFD-540 screen. Have I misunderstood that this should work?

I know that I can feed it in via serial, but am also aware of the downsides of doing so (maxing out the 115.2kbit bandwidth). But I'll do if I need to.

Do I need to specifically tell the IFD or the Stratux anything else in order to get traffic data to flowing from the Stratux to the IFD?

Thanks for any pointers!

Jeremy
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2024 at 7:53pm
I don’t know why I read your post as a Stratus, not a Stratux.

The Stratux uses GDL90, aka “Open ADS-B” by default, so there are no issues with it and ForeFlight.

Have you looked at the IFD Connectivity Devices menu? You have to explicitly allow each address that the IFD will receive data from. If you have never approved the Stratux’ IP address, you may find it listed here in Blocked state. Simply set it to Always, and it should start accepting data from the Stratux.

The Stratux uses 192.168.10.1 as its default ip address.

Edited by Melohn - 24 Aug 2024 at 2:17pm
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2024 at 8:32pm
Yes, the connection between the IFD and the iPad as mediated by the Stratux (not Status) works fine. I can send flight plans, etc.

I do have an old Stratus (which I'm trying to replace with the Stratux) that I could try with to see if that even works, but my ultimate goal is to make it work via the Stratux.

Thanks,

Jeremy
jzawodn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jzawodn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2024 at 6:28pm
Resolved!

In my quest to get this working, I focused on the Stratux and Wifi bits a bit too much and overlooked enabling Capstone from mobile traffic devices as described here:

Once I did that, it all works as expected.

Yay Avidyne!

Jeremy

Edited by jzawodn - 24 Aug 2024 at 6:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic