Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Deleting multiple user waypoints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deleting multiple user waypoints
    Posted: 03 Jan 2023 at 10:53pm
I’m a new IFD 440 owner.

My routine with my GNS 430W was to plan all of my flights at home on ForeFlight, and then upload them into the panel when I get to the plane. This also works well for an out and back flight; while the navigator forgets the route after shutdown, ForeFlight remembers, and a simple upload gets the plan back onboard. No need to use a saved route.

One byproduct of this usage model is that each waypoint that does not correspond to a charted waypoint is stored as a user waypoint in the navigator. On the GNS over time these waypoints clog the display up, and since I have no reason to keep them, every once in a while I’ll go into the user waypoints list and select the menu item “Delete all User Waypoints”. Problem solved.

Now, with the IFD, not only will I create new user waypoints, I may also start collecting rubber band waypoints when I modify routes, which appear also to be stored in the IFD user waypoint space. Happily, they don’t show on the map unless you reference them in a route, but they do still collect in the WPT display. 

How can I mass delete all of these waypoints? I’m thinking that creating a blank excel spreadsheet and importing it might do the trick, but if there is an easier way, short of individually CLRing each one, I’d like to know what it is.

Thanks!

Edited by Melohn - 03 Jan 2023 at 10:59pm
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 12:01pm
Sorry, at this point the IFD doesn't provide a method for deleting all user waypoints with a single button press.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 9 minutes ago at 9:14am
The Pilot Guide (IFD 500 series p7-77 "IMPORTANT NOTE") states that when uploading user waypoints from a CSV file, the CSV file will completely replace the set of user waypoints in the IFD.

This is incorrect (10.3.1.2). I uploaded a CSV file with user waypoints yesterday and the waypoints were merged in with the existing user waypoints on the IFD. It would be nice if it would work as described in the Pilot Guide. It would be a relatively easy way to accomplish what Melohn is requesting..... export the user waypoints to a CSV file, update the file removing the undesired waypoints, then upload the new CSV file without the deleted waypoints. 
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9 hours 2 minutes ago at 9:21am
Do you have a single IFD or dual, cross-synced IFDs?  Do you use the IFD100?
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 5 minutes ago at 10:18am
I have dual, cross-synced IFDs. I loaded the CSV into only one, expecting the 2nd to sync to the first. But I see where you're going with the question...... 
If I want to replace the user waypoints with a new CSV file contents, are you suggesting that I need to power off both IFDs and load the new CSV into both before bringing them online together?
Vince
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 3 minutes ago at 10:20am
As a point of interest, what role would the IFD100 play considering that there is no maintenance mode on the IFD100 and it is not possible to upload a CSV file into the IFD100?

Similar question regarding the IFD Trainer. 

Edited by chflyer - 8 hours 2 minutes ago at 10:21am
Vince
AviSteve View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7 hours 54 minutes ago at 10:29am
Yes, the IFDs will sync the user waypoints.  So you can either load the CSV into both or delete all of them from the second one before you load the CSV into the first one.

I asked about the IFD100 just in case it would have tried to sync its waypoints to the IFD as well.  Best to just clear them all from everywhere before uploading the CSV into one.
Steve Lindsley
Avidyne Engineering
chflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5 hours 6 minutes ago at 1:17pm
All clear. If there are many (100+) to be deleted, then the quicker alternative is to have both IFD powered down and load the same CSV into both before powering them up again.

Deleting waypoints one at a time is a laborious process if there are many. As mentioned in another thread, if flights are planned at home with ForeFlight and then loaded to the IFD in the cockpit, all the FF VFR waypoints are created in the IFD as new user waypoints since unknown to the IFD even though they already exist as VFnnn. 
Vince
Melohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3 hours 38 minutes ago at 2:45pm
Originally posted by AviSteve AviSteve wrote:

Yes, the IFDs will sync the user waypoints.  So you can either load the CSV into both or delete all of them from the second one before you load the CSV into the first one.

I asked about the IFD100 just in case it would have tried to sync its waypoints to the IFD as well.  Best to just clear them all from everywhere before uploading the CSV into one.

There doesn’t appear to be a way to delete all waypoints on the IFD trainer or IFD100. However, it’s a lot easier, albeit annoying, to press the CLR button on your iPad at home versus sitting in the cockpit with the power on trying to do the same thing.

I don’t think I understand the logic about syncing between the IFD 100 app and the IFD devices; some times, the app seems to be busy syncing routes and presumably waypoints, while other times it doesn’t seem to even try. Some manual control or method to monitor what it’s doing and how far along might be helpful.

I’ve turned off the ForeFlight feature to sync user waypoints, as recommended by Avidyne, and it has made the flight plan transfer much more reliable. However, some form of transfer, perhaps in the background, might be helpful someday, particularly since it is easy to delete all waypoints from ForeFlight. 

I have found that if you use the same waypoints from a stored route on ForeFlight, they will not create new waypoints on the IFD. However, for those of us who fly complex search patterns that are one time only, the number of junk waypoints does pile up, and it would be helpful to have a way to just clear them out.

Edited by Melohn - 3 hours 37 minutes ago at 2:46pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic