Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Datalink failure messages from MLB100

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Datalink failure messages from MLB100
    Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 6:15am
Out flying Sunday with my friend and his twin 540s to check out the install and we kept getting "Datalink failure" messages. We were also getting mlb100 regional radar and metar as well. Are these messages normal? Do they indicate an install problem or a comm problem between the aircraft and the tower?
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
AviSimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 8:55am
What software level are your IFD540s at?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 9:59am
The IFDs and the MLB100 were updated by our avionics shop last month to the latest version. Checking to confirm the actual number.
Peter - 1977 Cardinal RG C-FJPC - IFD550/540/240/322/605A/Skytrax100, Aspen MAX 2000, Trio A/P
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 11:09am
Confirmed with avionics shop IFDs are 10.1.1 and MLB is at 4.09

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2016 at 1:26pm
I'm going to have our tech support team reach out to you and work through some troubleshooting.
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2016 at 10:58pm
Do you know exactly WHICH "failure" message you had?  I ask because sometimes one piece of ADS-B data (like SIGMETS, or PIREPs, or something) can expire before the next set is downloaded.  When that happens, you get a cyan CAS alert that says "Datalink Data Not Rcvd" (DDNR).  But it's not like you lost all of the data.  The DDNR comes up separately for each type of data, which I found confusing at first.  Why would I get a CAS Alert for weather when I clearly had METARs (for example) on the display.

I have come to understand through experience that DDNR is not an indication of failure, it is simply a state of being.  The not-received data will come around again after a few minutes unless you leave ADS-B coverage.

My best example of this is having a long taxi time at an airport that did not have an ADS-B tower on the field.  Basically all of my pieces of weather data expired (and I got a separate DDNR for each one as it expired) by the time I took off.  But once I was in the air for a while, all of the items downloaded and the CAS alert cleared.

The other example I had was a long VFR flight at low altitude in remote terrain, when I was out of coverage (or on the edge of coverage) for an extended period.  Again, once I reached a more populated area, all of the pieces downloaded and the CAS alert cleared itself.

David Bunin
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2016 at 3:43am
At some point we got the DDNR error, which I understand, but we also got the Datalink Receiver Fault error on more than one occasion. At one point the duration showed 4 minutes and another time 16 minutes but I do not know if that is an indication of how long ago the error occurred or how long the fault was.
DavidBunin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidBunin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2016 at 2:58pm
If you're talking about the Alerts page view, I think that it is only real-time data.  For example, if the unit fails, the alert appears.  The duration starts counting.  Five minutes later, it shows a duration of 5 minutes.

If the unit recovers and data is restored, the alert goes away entirely.

So if you see a fault and a duration, the fault is "current" and the duration is how long ago it first occurred.

"Datalink Receiver Fault" is either a wiring problem or a software problem.  I have seen that one on the bench when some equipment was disconnected.  You might try upgrading the IFD to software 10.1.2.0 which was recently released.

David
petersk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 12:46pm
I have the same issue with my installation, which has two IDF540s and an MLB100, also a TWX670. I'm getting two (well, three) types of failures:

First, I see a yellow 'Traffic Sensor Fault' popping up frequently, although I'm seeing traffic and it seems to be updating in real time. The fault shows every time that an alert is presented... or perhaps the fault causes the alert.

I have videos of this happening, you can see those videos here:
http://secure4host.net/big/event2.avi

The second fault I get from the MLB100 is a weather coverage fault, the IDF540 draws a screen full of diagonal blue lines across everything, which is very distracting. At the same time I'm still getting depictions of precipitation and the little METAR flags all over the screen. It seems like the weather is coming in fine, but it still has the blue stripes.  I do not get a textural alert on the alert page.

Edited to add the image directly:

I'm flying just west of ORD, just outside their Mode C ring, so it should be a good coverage area even at 2500 feet, where these shots were taken.

Oddly, the blue lines only show on the top 540. I'm not certain that I had the weather display turned on in the settings of the second one... something I need to play with to be sure of next time.

I have at times flown around for 20-30 minutes without seeing these blue stripes, other times they pop right up and don't seem to go away.

At the risk of piling on, I also see the occasional 'lightning sensor fault' error... all things considered it starts to feel like the interfaces might be a little too sensitive, alerting at the slightest detail, or the I/O system in general is dropping a few bits here and there.

Edited by petersk - 19 Mar 2016 at 1:00pm
Keith Peterson
Cardinal Flyers
Cardinal RG N177KP
LANCE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LANCE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by petersk petersk wrote:

I have the same issue with my installation, which has two IDF540s and an MLB100, also a TWX670. I'm getting two (well, three) types of failures:

First, I see a yellow 'Traffic Sensor Fault' popping up frequently, although I'm seeing traffic and it seems to be updating in real time. The fault shows every time that an alert is presented... or perhaps the fault causes the alert.

I have videos of this happening, you can see those videos here:
http://secure4host.net/big/event2.avi

The second fault I get from the MLB100 is a weather coverage fault, the IDF540 draws a screen full of diagonal blue lines across everything, which is very distracting. At the same time I'm still getting depictions of precipitation and the little METAR flags all over the screen. It seems like the weather is coming in fine, but it still has the blue stripes.  I do not get a textural alert on the alert page.

Edited to add the image directly:

I'm flying just west of ORD, just outside their Mode C ring, so it should be a good coverage area even at 2500 feet, where these shots were taken.

Oddly, the blue lines only show on the top 540. I'm not certain that I had the weather display turned on in the settings of the second one... something I need to play with to be sure of next time.

I have at times flown around for 20-30 minutes without seeing these blue stripes, other times they pop right up and don't seem to go away.

At the risk of piling on, I also see the occasional 'lightning sensor fault' error... all things considered it starts to feel like the interfaces might be a little too sensitive, alerting at the slightest detail, or the I/O system in general is dropping a few bits here and there.

On the second issue, have you upgraded to 10.1.2 yet? That is supposed to fix the ConUS weather issue.

http://forums.avidyne.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=954&title=problems-with-conus-wxrdr-fixed

Edited by LANCE - 19 Mar 2016 at 10:49pm
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 9:56pm
I was using the sim just now and the same thing happened. Half of the window was covered with hatched lines but I did not see a datalink fault. Is the sim having the same sw issues as the 540 and will the 10.1.2 fixes need to be applied Or is this just simulated failures. The lines appeared when I zoomed out about 400nm to my destination.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AviSimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 9:14am
Originally posted by PeterC PeterC wrote:

I was using the sim just now and the same thing happened. Half of the window was covered with hatched lines but I did not see a datalink fault. Is the sim having the same sw issues as the 540 and will the 10.1.2 fixes need to be applied Or is this just simulated failures. The lines appeared when I zoomed out about 400nm to my destination.
The sim runs 10.1 software so its possible. The sim software is getting the weather information from the internet and not a MLB100 so its more likely just a limitation of the sim itself. Are you seeing the weather inside the 400nm zoom?
Simpson Bennett
Avidyne Corporation
Product Manager
PeterC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PeterC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2016 at 4:00pm
Yes I had radar weather inside of 400 nm. Not sure how far but it seemed to be a distance issue i.e. As I zoomed out the lines appeared at a far point on the map from my position.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic