Avidyne Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Avidyne General > IFD 5 Series & IFD 4 Series Touch Screen GPS/NAV/COM
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why "Check altitude"?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why "Check altitude"?
    Posted: 09 May 2016 at 10:38pm
The attached screenshot from the sim is exactly what I saw when flying this approach for real the other night.

There are two waypoints on the approach - LUNGY and LEHMN. Both have an altitude restriction of 2,300'. However, as soon as I passed LUNGY at 2,300', I got the yellow "Check Altitude Too Low" message.

Why am I getting this?

khuffine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khuffine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:03pm
I may be wrong but i think I read only 50 feet low will set that alert off..Not sure...
Khuffine
oskrypuch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskrypuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:16pm
That warning pops up if you are below the charted FAF altitude, before reaching the FAF. Could you have been just a touch lower than you thought?

* Orest

dubs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:38am
In real life, he may have been a bit low. But, not on the Sim. Sim shows 2,300 feet and he still has the flag. 
Baron C55
Tulsa, OK
AviJake View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AviJake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 8:48am
Beats me.   I expect that's some sim thing but we'll add it to the list to check out.
Steve Jacobson
sjacobson@avidyne.com
bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:47pm

No, I'm pretty sure I was right at 2,300' (in the plane). In fact, I may have been a bit higher, but I don't recall exactly by how much.

It's the RNAV 18 into KSET:

bcool View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bcool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2016 at 9:33pm
I flew the same approach today at 2,400' (in my plane, with a safety pilot) and got the exact same 'Check altitude too low' message even though I was 100' above the charted altitude restriction. Something is obviously wrong here - but what??

Would it be the data in the approach from Jepp causing the problem? This is a serious issue that needs to be addressed - if this happened in real IMC conditions it would be unnerving, to say the least.

I also flew ILS and LPV approaches today with no messages, so it seems to be unique to this particular approach.
Edmund Cammack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 7:14am
I know this is a very old thread but I am having the same issue. Was there ever any resolution or explanation?  Doing the RNAV gps approach 14 at 8B0 I was a couple of hundred feet above each fix yet yet got the yellow check altitude warning. 
Thanks
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 1:07pm
did anyone ask JEPP to check the DB data? ..  sounds like the data was incorrectly coded.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 2:43pm
Is that something Avidyne should do or me as a Jepp database user?
Thanks.
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:10pm
you and jepp
ricardo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2023 at 11:12pm
but maybe avidyne can help verify that there is a problem with the db.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:03am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:04am
Thanks. I'll contact Jepp and post when they reply.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2023 at 11:54am
I contacted Jeppesen and they are investigating. I have another question. The approach is LP but in the 540 it shows LP+V and i get an advisory glideslope. If I fly the glideslope it keeps me quite a bit above the crossing altitudes. when I flew the approach, it was IMC and I wanted to be as low as possible because the last segment is short and steep. Is it possible the 540 gives the warning because I'm below the advisory glideslope even though I'm above the fixes? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edmund Cammack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2023 at 11:23am

I received a very nice response from Jeppesen about how they design their approaches. let me know if you want me to post it. Based upon that and what I found in the Avidyne manual, it was probably my fault I received the yellow caution.

I went back through the Avidyne manual and found that if I descend below an advisory glideslope, I will get the yellow caution warning even though I am above a crossing altitude or MDA for the sequenced leg. I will fly the approach a few times VMC and follow the glideslope and see what happens.

Thanks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic